Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warning light and an RAC call out

Helen Ant

Hi, I am a new driver and bought a 2008 Toyota Aygo semi automatic to practise in. I love it and an slowly gaining in confidence. Yesterday however was a baptism of fire! Itt slipping out of gear into neutral and a light came on the dashboard a bit like a snowflake with an exclamation mark in. I managed to get off the road and phoned the RAC. When the mechanic arrived he said it could be the heat and it had 'reset' itself. The light had gone. However, just in case, he followed me home and it happened a further 4 times. He ended up driving the car home and said it slipped into neutral a few times as he was driving, and that the car seemed 'confused!' My brother in law is a mechanic and is picking it up on Tuesday to have a look at. Does anyone have any clue what it might be? Worried it's going to cost loads, in which case is it worth keeping the car or should I trade it in for a newer model? 

Semi automatic, if you mean it is a normal gearbox/clutch but with computerised arms that change gear instead of you doing it…….. they have and continue to cause a lot of problems, and can be expensive to sort.              
Maybe consider selling and getting a standard manual gearbox car with gear stock, or a newer Aygo with a better auto change system.

I'm not very technical-'a standard gearbox car with gear stock'? I really struggle with changing gear etc so that's why I chose an automatic. I would definitely consider trading up to a newer model though as I don't want continual problems. I suppose I just need to wait and see how this particular problem goes and how much it costs to sort 

Remember that the Aygo 'automatic' isn't a real automatic - it's a semi-manual. What that means is it's a normal manual gearbox and clutch but they are controlled by an ECU using mechanical actuators.

• Like 1

Helen,   Sorry, didnt check my spelling, should have read "a standard gearbox with gear stick"  ie what is called a manual gear change

3 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

Remember that the Aygo 'automatic' isn't a real automatic - it's a semi-manual. What that means is it's a normal manual gearbox and clutch but they are controlled by an ECU using mechanical actuators.

.Dave - thats what I said in my post.

• Like 1

See what your brother-in-law says after he has looked at it before considering changing it. 

The Aygo/Citroen C1/Peugeot 107 are basically the same car and the 'auto option' is the same with all three - a manual gearbox with automated clutch. The later Aygo/C1/108 from mid 2014 use a developed form of the same gearbox.

Do you need an auto, or would you be able to cope with a manual?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helen Ant said:

Hi, I am a new driver and bought a 2008 Toyota Aygo semi automatic 

If you have recently bought the car from a dealer you should have a warranty

• Like 1

When you say you got the car to practice in, I take you have passed your test or have a suitable experienced driver and displaying L plates ?

Your car is an automatic but not a traditional automatic, it's an automated Manual

The error you have is usually the clutch overheating, potentially cause by a worn, slipping clutch

817029599_AygoMMTclutchhot.thumb.jpg.3023c1ae448253a9071da47a529c1e60.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies everyone, I actually passed my test in 1988, but never drove for various reasons. Having recently taken early retirement from teaching (yay!!!) I have invested in some refresher lessons which are still ongoing. I have just started doing local drives on my own-to the shops etc and am really enjoying it and becoming less nervous. I tried a manual car but much prefer an automatic as I feel I'm not having to multitask as much and can concentrate on the road, it makes me feel less nervous. My driving instructor teaches me in my own car. I will wait and see the verdict and make my decision then. It does sound as if it may be the clutch from flash22's post above. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My brother in law has said it's the actuator that's causing the problem and once replaced there should be no further issues. Fingers crossed x

Helen,

Actuator repair is an expensive job ( we were quoted almost 1800euro in Sweden and that was 6 years ago) unless your brother in law can fix it for cheap. We sold the car recently, knowing that the actuator or clutch was going to give up any day. This so called MMT gear box (automated manual gear box) is the Achilles heel in Aygo, other wise a fine car. These MMT boxes start slipping and beeping after about 5-6 years of use if you are lucky. If I was you I would sell this car and buy an Aygo with manual gear box or buy a Auris/corolla with CVT automatic gear. They are far more reliable and well built. I am surprised that Toyota continues to sell Aygo with this gear box even now.

If you really want an autobox and have the money, I'd flog the Aygo MMT and get a Yaris Hybrid - Much more reliable and nicer to drive - The hybrid drive system Toyota use is one of the nicest automatics in the industry IMHO.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:01 PM, rajivrattna said:

Helen,

Actuator repair is an expensive job ( we were quoted almost 1800euro in Sweden and that was 6 years ago) unless your brother in law can fix it for cheap. We sold the car recently, knowing that the actuator or clutch was going to give up any day. This so called MMT gear box (automated manual gear box) is the Achilles heel in Aygo, other wise a fine car. These MMT boxes start slipping and beeping after about 5-6 years of use if you are lucky. If I was you I would sell this car and buy an Aygo with manual gear box or buy a Auris/corolla with CVT automatic gear. They are far more reliable and well built. I am surprised that Toyota continues to sell Aygo with this gear box even now.

On 6/16/2021 at 9:27 AM, PetrolDave said:

I think I had a problem with this too a few months back. Are the mechanical actuators covered under the official TOYOTA warranty? That includes the new TOYOTA RELAX scheme.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links