Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

All season tyres and rim protectors

Islandape

Hi All,

I know the subject of all season tyres comes up from time to time and I wondered what people's thought were on the subject as tyres tend to get updated quite regularly.

I'm picking up a new Dynamic AWD in the next 2-3 weeks and want to replace whatever it has on with something giving me maximum ability in the winter as my nurse wife has to get in.  I also hate kerbed wheels and as neither my wife or I are superb parallel parkers I'd like some tyres with rim protectors.

It's surprisingly difficult to get an answer off manufacturers' websites on that, but I did read that Cross Climates (at least some of them) had protectors.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I can honestly recommend the CrossClimates as an all year round tyre, especially in snow and standing rain water.  The difference in winter is especially noticeable as the tyres remain ‘soft’ under 10oC as apposed to the general summer tyre.  No rim protectors as such but a solid tyre especially if you can get your wheel size in the SUV range of CrossClimates which have a tougher side wall.

I have Cross Climates on mine and they are fine but as you imply there is a much wider range of all season tyres available to choose from and some are more highly rated than the Michelins these days.

I am guessing that your Design will come with 225/60 R18s - same as mine - and from a quick look couldn't see anything that had rim protectors - my Cross Climates certainly don't. That said, the tyre sidewall extends beyond the rim so you would scuff the sidewall before you chipped the rim! Lower profile tyres would benefit from rim protector - I don't think we need them ...

Thanks both.

Cross Climates are my default choice as I hear reports of wear issues on the Bridgestone Weather Control (pity as wet grip is outstanding).  Tests seem to show each all season tyre is a compromise on something or other and I think I like the "summer biased but will deal with the worst level of cold/snow we get in the middle of the UK" bias of the Michelins.

But I tend to overthink things so I'll go for Cross Climates unless persuaded otherwise!

@Islandape, I think we all tend to overthink these kind of things so you're not alone but a forum of users helps. Buying a new set of tyres is a big expense and frankly a bad choice means you're stuck with them for many years and for me that would be a constant source of aggravation.

Given we live in a country that has meaningful snowfall (suitable for sledging) every few years and a significant snow event about once a decade, unless you live in a rural area well known for seeing high levels of snow and not routinely covered by gritters and plow’s, then all season tyres are probably absolutely fine.

Ironically having lived/worked somewhere where locals congregate in the local pub on snow days to watch (and then help) people getting stuck on the bank next to it, I disappointed everyone a few years back,  an automatic Octavia looked like a safe bet to fail, especially as it was freshly shod in Toyo T1R’s which were most defiantly summer tyres. When it comes to snow, tread depth really is important.

So, delivery should be Tuesday - not bad given I ordered it this Tuesday!

Based on what's been said I need to find the best price for the Cross Climates.

Thanks for your help 🙂

Costco are having Michelin offer from next Monday. 225/60 R18 (104W) CROSS CLIMATE SUV XL will be around £118 when you buy 4 (today's price).

Handy, thanks 🙂

Also looks like Halfrauds are doing 15% off if you buy 4 or more. 

Agree Costco are generally good value when you take the price of fitting etc., and right now they are offering £80 off 4 18” tyres.

• Like 1

I usually do a Google search for discounted tyre delivered to a nearby fitter and the price includes fitting.  However I also offered my preferred tyre fitters (the ones that get me sorted PDQ after a puncture etc) the chance to price match  They usually were happy to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

So, went for the Crossclimates though very nearly went for Goodyear. Known quality and lower fuel consumption rating won out in the end.

Driving back today they seem a little quieter than the Dunlops. 

Thanks for the comments guys 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Islandape said:

So, went for the Crossclimates though very nearly went for Goodyear. Known quality and lower fuel consumption rating won out in the end.

Driving back today they seem a little quieter than the Dunlops. 

Thanks for the comments guys 🙂

I’m in for Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen3’s at lunchtime tomorrow. They seem to do quite well against the Michelin’s and pretty much anything else at the moment. Michelin’s are slightly better at braking in the dry, Vector’s beat it in the wet/snow. I suspect wear wise the Michelin’s may win, but time will tell.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Goodyear/Vector-4Seasons-Gen-3.htm

• Like 1

Goodyears still might still be the right decision!

I didn't think there was a lot in it as each traded benefits against each other and I managed to save a little as the CCs were on offer.

There's a new version of the CC coming out this year that will probably change all that though.

I wouldn’t imagine from what I have read that either is a bad choice, as you say they both trade slight advantages in one area against deficits in others. One thing for sure they are going to be significantly better than the Duelers I have at the moment. They were OK - if slightly noisy and a little harsh - in the dry, but the light rain last week was an eye opener, I could get the front end sliding without even trying.

Minor update as it may help anyone else considering rubber - ATS Euromaster is currently doing the cheapest deals on CrossClimates which is unsurprising considering they are owned by Michelin. £25 off two tyres and £50 off 4 and a free Dashcam if you order four.

Also the Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen3’s are superb in the wet weather and have transformed the ride quality vs the previous duelers. They’re seemingly now cheapest at Kwik-Fit, but we’re pretty close on price at ATS.

Odd question for you all on this subject:

I mentioned to my brother about changing tyres this weekend and he was told that his AWD Volvo XC60 T5 is too powerful for all seasons - they will wear out very quickly it appears. Shredding was mentioned.

Sounds dubious if a RAV4 PHEV is OK with them and even my HEV isn't that much less powerful than that Volvo.  What do you think?

3 hours ago, Islandape said:

Odd question for you all on this subject:

I mentioned to my brother about changing tyres this weekend and he was told that his AWD Volvo XC60 T5 is too powerful for all seasons - they will wear out very quickly it appears. Shredding was mentioned.

Sounds dubious if a RAV4 PHEV is OK with them and even my HEV isn't that much less powerful than that Volvo.  What do you think?

That seems unlikely - there seems to be 'something wrong' there ...

The RAV4 has always been rather gentle on its tyres - it doesn't chew through them the way one might fear an angry 4x4 might. Having been used to getting 10-15k miles out of the front pair of tyres on Cavaliers and Vectras, I was 'surprised' to get around 50k miles out of a set of Bridgestones on my first RAV4. I haven't done enough miles on the Cross Climates on my current car to be able to give empirical figures but they don't appear to be wearing particularly quickly at all.

Volvo do seem to make some 'odd' wheel and tyre size choices, and it is just possible that Michelin simply don't make Cross Climates in the T5's size ... ? Someone might then 'invent' a reason for their not being available? Who knows ...

Context is important here…

The general rule is the softer and grippier a tyre compound is, the quicker it generally wears. You also have the distribution of torque, driving style and ambient conditions/road surfaces. So for example, I would expect a UHP tyre such as a Goodyear F1 Asymetric 5 to last less well than say a Michelin Lattitude Cross which routinely see 45K+, more if rotated regularly.

The XC60 is 250 BHP ish last time I looked (apologies if this is out), if we assume a 60/40 split on AWD (all I remember about them is the diffs we’re reputed to be overly sensitive to mismatched tyres) then that’s 150BHP to the front, or 75 to each front wheel, which is similar to what my Lindop enhanced 2WD 2.0D puts to each front wheel (122BHP+25%) and I have no issues. Weight, power delivery and set-up as side it doesn’t obviously scream ‘bad idea’ based on that.

As above I can’t give meaningful opinion on longevity at this point, no balling up/blistering to report, and I have taken them on some of the more entertaining rural roads I drive. Based on the tyre review and wear data published, I would be surprised if they lasted as long as the Latitudes, but I don’t expect to see them only last 15K, which used to be about the going rate for UHP’s on the Leon DSG assuming the low profile little so and so’s didn’t pickup a puncture.

At low annual milage it was impossible to wear out original tyres,scrapped with 5ml of tread after over 6 yrs.33k miles.

Put Mich. Cross Climate on fronts for softer quieter ride. Shoulders are wearing faster,but thats the point would rather wear them out than change because of age cracking. That happened on the other 2 tyres still 5ml,changed them last week to MCC XL stronger casing.

Tyres on Drive [halford] took 15 mins.to do both.

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure but think he has the 22" wheels which can't help cost, ride or choice.  In fact I had a quick look after your comments and couldn't see any all season tyres for that fitting.

Ah well, for the next car he was on about test driving a Lexus 😁

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links