Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Are non-hybrid auris's targeted by cat theives?

stewey

Will be picking up a 2013 auris 1.6 petrol hatchback soon.

Do cat thieves exclusively target hybrid models only, or have petrol/diesel auris's also been targeted?

Trying to decide whether or not to install a cat plate onto the car for peace of mind.

Thanks.

My recommendation would be to have a Catloc (or similar) installed for peace of mind.  Friend of mine has a non hybrid Toyota where the catalytic converter is tucked up near the engine.  The local scum sawed off his silencer - probably thinking it was the Cat. 

• Like 3

All cars have cat converters, so all could be targets, but because hybrids cars don’t always have the engine working the cats tend to be cleaner therefore the precious metals in a better condition. Why not get a protective plate of flea bay and get a local garage to fit. Save a lot of money. Save your mates anxiety.

• Like 2

Yes, they do target them too. 1.6 particularly is very similar to the 1.8 hybrid underneath and therefore they do still the cats plus if not the cat itself the silencer which is pretty much the same trouble and inconvenience for the owner. Simple cat plate from 1.8 hybrid will fit and be useful. eBay has many on offer. 👍

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

if not the cat itself the silencer

What can you do to protect the silencer?

If any Auris owner hybrid and non hybrid has catalytic converter plate fitted to their cars even if the car it’s not on the red list in case a thief stop by and look underneath will see that the owner is somehow prepared and hopefully will walk away. That’s the only thing we can do. In Corolla forum someone got its second cat or filter cut off perhaps they were thinking it’s the catalytic converter which it’s not since on these cars the cat is part of the manifold. 👍

• Like 2

Took one from an Avensis up the road from me yesterday - no hybrid Avensis so either thought it was an auris or they are starting to take them from anything.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Mine is a non-hybrid petrol - they stole it in February

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My one is a hybrid although I made it not recognised as hybrid since I remove all badges and made the Toyota emblems pure not blueish, it seems like they target specifically Toyota cars because there is an easy access underneath. May well look for scion badges on eBay and completely mask the car. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wooster said:

What can you do to protect the silencer?

I haven’t seen any plate to cover that, maybe there is and I haven’t seem.

You could always ask you local friendly mechanic if one could be made, but actually, these thieves know what cars to “attack”, having said that, there is a post where a non hybrid Avensis was attacked. The thief must have been thicker then the average thief. 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks all for the responses, helped me make up my mind.

Have booked to have catloc plate installed by toyota next week.

I think as more hybrids become plate protected and have aftermarket cat's,  thieves will start going after petrols and other makes/models etc to get by...

• Like 3

I contemplated getting a Toyota Catloc, besides being quoted £250, I found it protrudes by 4cm from the bottom.  I have read that this increases the chances of it getting damaged if you drive on roads with road humps.  I got mine £90 fitted in Harrow and it doesn't protude. I also got a tilt alarm fitted by Toyota for £100 which works well.

IMG_20210420_115234.jpg

• Like 3

Each, they put some air scoops in, which are needed. A cat converter easily gets hot, very hot.

• Like 1

I’ve had the Toyota one for a month now and no problems with speed humps so far (touch wood).

The catalytic converter itself protrudes from the underside by about 3cm and there’s a 1 cm gap between it and the catloc. 

13 hours ago, Excel777 said:

a tilt alarm fitted by Toyota for £100

Have you got details of the tilt alarm?  (Part number etc)  I asked my Toyota dealer and they quoted £400 (ish) for an alarm with back-up batteries and it's own siren.

On 6/18/2021 at 9:20 AM, Wooster said:

Have you got details of the tilt alarm?  (Part number etc)  I asked my Toyota dealer and they quoted £400 (ish) for an alarm with back-up batteries and it's own siren.

IMG_20210619_183549.jpg

• Thanks 1

That’s explains it all , the red one seems non hybrid or been masked either way the cat on both has gone. Don’t think they had any device installed to make access more difficult. Just latest on the news. Two Auris in one go, sad news for all Toyota owners. 
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9712683/CCTV-captures-gang-armed-baseball-bats-stealing-catalytic-converters.html