Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 air con not at all cold ​🥵

jonny123456

I've discovered in all this hot weather that the air con in my 2011 T27 T4 Auto Tourer isn't provinding any cool air at all. 

In my wife's Auris, when turning the AC on, there's a small clunk, and very small rise in the revs (and also cool air!).  On my Avensis, there's no change in sound, engine revs or temparature.  

The AC (button) light comes on/off as expected.

Any thoughts on what it may be?  Or what to try?  Or do I need to resign myself to warm journeys for the rest of summer 😞

You need to check the refrigerant pressure or have it checked if you don't have gauges. Even a tight system will leak slowly over a number of years. Once the refrigerant pressure is below a certain level the compressor will not engage. This is designed to protect the compressor and will result in exactly what you described.

1 minute ago, jonny123456 said:

I've discovered in all this hot weather that the air con in my 2011 T27 T4 Auto Tourer isn't provinding any cool air at all. 

In my wife's Auris, when turning the AC on, there's a small clunk, and very small rise in the revs (and also cool air!).  On my Avensis, there's no change in sound, engine revs or temparature.  

The AC (button) light comes on/off as expected.

Any thoughts on what it may be?  Or what to try?  Or do I need to resign myself to warm journeys for the rest of summer 😞

• Like 1

The only guage I have is a tyre guage!

Can you get the pressure checked before getting a regas? 

Or is it just a case of paying for a regas and seeing if it works?

I do mine myself so i don't know what commercial options are out there, but i suspect the check is "free" and you pay if they have to add gas, but i expect it depends where you go. If they do have to add gas then they will no doubt check for leaks too.

• Like 1

Any legitimate outfit must first make reasonably sure the system is leak free before adding more refrigerant. Check static pressures in the system is the first step and this requires a manifold gauge. If those are low or non existent then the system has leaked.

On an older car it is quite likely the problem is caused by corrosion to either the pipework under bonnet or a leaky condenser (the radiator at the front).

The hoses to and from the condenser and compressor are tough and thick but if you can squeeze them with very hard finger pressure then it is a good chance the system has no pressure. You do not need the engine running for that, the system is pressurised 24/7 like an aerosol can.

• Like 1

I got my 2010 T27 refrigerant system refilled at dealer service couple month ago and the machine what does that job check also if there is any leaks. No leaks detected, but it still doesn't provide as cold air as my previous E12 Corolla did. I've noticed that it is a huge difference at fan speed (in auto mode) if i put 21 degrees celsius instead 19 degrees celsius. Maybe these early T27 (I don't know if later models have same problem) have weak air con compressor.

This self diagnose method didn't gave any trouble codes: http://www.cardiagnostics.be/-now/Self Diagnose Toyota Corolla ECC-panel.htm

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JiiN said:

I got my 2010 T27 refrigerant system refilled at dealer service couple month ago and the machine what does that job check also if there is any leaks. No leaks detected, but it still doesn't provide as cold air as my previous E12 Corolla did. I've noticed that it is a huge difference at fan speed (in auto mode) if i put 21 degrees celsius instead 19 degrees celsius. Maybe these early T27 (I don't know if later models have same problem) have weak air con compressor.

This self diagnose method didn't gave any trouble codes: http://www.cardiagnostics.be/-now/Self Diagnose Toyota Corolla ECC-panel.htm

I agree about the T27 air-con. It works, but due to the larger cabin Tourer and large raked windscreen, the air-con seems less effective compared to my old Mk1 Avensis. It still kept me cool, with outside temperatures showing as 29°C or higher yesterday. I do use the air-con all year, to demist the windows and make sure everything is fine by keeping the refrigerant and lubricant circulating. I last had it done a few years ago, so maybe it is time for a top up. There is a label detailing the type and amount of refrigerant the car needs. The self diagnostics is useful when something is wrong.   

I don't agree with the larger cabin theory.  I've had large cars where the air-con would freeze your hand and large cars with air-con that was useless.

Large cabin = large HVAC system.

Small car = small HVAC system.

All these things are designed and built in proportion to the rest of the vehicle.

Thanks for the replies - I should have mentioned that in my 7 years of ownership, I've never regassed it (and so it may not have been regassed in the 10 years since new). 

I'll call around a few places and try to find out what's what. 

Under the bonnet you'll find a valve on the air con pipe, probably with a dust cap on it.  It's similar to a tyre valve (but a bit bigger) in that if you press the pin in the centre some gas escapes.  Press it using a screwdriver or a pen or something and see if any gas comes out, if some comes out it confirms you don't have a catastrophic leak, and the first thing to do would be to get it re-gassed.

Be careful not to get the gas in your eye, and only let a little escape.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I agree about the T27 air-con. It works, but due to the larger cabin Tourer and large raked windscreen, the air-con seems less effective compared to my old Mk1 Avensis. It still kept me cool, with outside temperatures showing as 29°C or higher yesterday. I do use the air-con all year, to demist the windows and make sure everything is fine by keeping the refrigerant and lubricant circulating. I last had it done a few years ago, so maybe it is time for a top up. There is a label detailing the type and amount of refrigerant the car needs. The self diagnostics is useful when something is wrong.   

Just checked the cabin filter and it needed changing. I had a spare so done instantly.