Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear door open - Can I lock the car?

StanHolmes

Hi, I am relatively new to the more modern Hybrid as have had a Landcruiser for the last 11 years.  I now have a 2020 5 door Rav 4 Hybrid - it's fab.  I'd like to know if it's possible to keep the rear door open but lock the car - i.e. I have a dog who I'd like to benefit from the ventilation and be safe inside (it's got a dog guard and tailgate with locks) but want to lock the other 4 doors so it's as secure as possible while I will be at events and a few feet away or walking another dog for example.

I have been searching but can't find any info on this specific query - I've even found how to change the opening height etc which is great too

Thanks in advance :-)

I’m new to the Toyota RAV4 world myself but I think it’s possible to lock the doors but turn off the immobiliser, not what you want but could be an alternative.  I’ve not tried this myself and I’m sure someone will be able to help but this might be worth a try.

B6173B34-2137-4385-A88A-581A13D8BE0B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thank you, anybody else have any insight or is it a flat out 'no it can't be done'? 

Thanks everybody 👍

If you have keyless entry the boot will unlock by touching the button on the boot lid, but the rest if the car will probably stay locked (I'm pretty sure that's how our formerly owned Auris worked anyway).

Alternatively, try locking the car with the boot lid open and see if it locks.

Slightly different question.

Do you not have the facility to open just the tailgate when the car is locked? For example a third button on the fob. If so, lock the car, and then unlock the tailgate via the fob.

The only issue may be insurance, as insurers won't cover the car if left unlocked - which it is if the tailgate is open.

Your options seem limited. I tried some experiments which I'm sure you have already:

• If you try to lock the car with the boot open, it simply complains and doesn't lock
  • If you lock the car and try to open the boot with the button on the key fob, nothing happens - you have to unlock the car first
  • If you lock the car and try to open the boot using the button on the boot, nothing happens - unless you happen to have the key fob nearby in which case the whole car unlocks

The best I can suggest is to leave one or more windows open as follows:

1. Disable the interior theft alarm - button by the rear view mirror
  2. Open one or more windows
  3. Get out and close the door - the car will warn that you've left a window open
  4. Double lock the car by pressing the lock button on the key fob twice - double locking disables the use of the door openers inside the car

The car is now reasonably securely locked but someone can easily reach in through the open windows and help themselves to anything within reach ...

... and if you forget step one and attempt to reach in to open the door, all hell breaks loose ... I did and it does! 😄

25 minutes ago, philip42h said:

If you lock the car and try to open the boot with the button on the key fob, nothing happens - you have to unlock the car first

Don't you have to press and hold the tailgate button on the key fob?

25 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes you do ... if the car is unlocked, pressing and holding the tailgate button on the key fob for 2 or 3 seconds causes the tailgate to open; if the car is locked, pressing and holding the tailgate button on the key fob for 2 or 3 seconds elicits a "beep, beep" but nothing else happens ...

(As you say, a short press does nothing under any situation)

28 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

yes, but if the car is locked nothing happens.

I've set mine up so that first press of unlock button or touching the driver's door handle only unlocks the driver's door, and the boot still won't open with the key or touching the button on the tailgate.  A second touch of the unlock key or holding the door handle for several seconds unlocks the rest of the car and then the boot can be opened.

My only suggestion is to open the tailgate while all doors are unlocked, then manually lock each door in turn by opening the door, moving the lock tab by hand then shutting the door.  The front doors need to be closed while pulling the outer handle outwards otherwise it unlocks again as it is closed.

I think that even if you find a recipe that works it’s going to be complicated and easy to get the sequence wrong leading at best to the all hell breaking loose or the car left in an insecure state.  When all said and done the designers of the security systems would not get past there own internal design review process if the car can be left locked but with one door open. Just my opinion….

Thank you everybody.  I was also advised of this procedure below - however my vehicle (RAV4 Excel version) doesn't seem to have the last option 'Wireless Lock When Door Opened' 

Press the physical “Menu” button
Then “Setup”
Then scroll down to “Vehicle”
Then Vehicle Customization
Then Door Lock Settings
Then Finally “Wireless Lock When Door Opened”

What a doozer!!!!  Perhaps this option is only available on certain models or in different countries (I am UK) 😪

image.thumb.png.274543ae86a53389a72d874e0bc515f8.pngThis is apparently what the settings should look like so not sure why it doesn't, will have to speak to the dealer 

Have you tried using the mechanical key which can be extracted from the fob ?. Not 100% sure it might work but I have used this to lock the car leaving it in Ready state doing updates as the fob refuses to lock the car in this state. I don't think that the mechanical key sets the alarm at all though.

9 hours ago, StanHolmes said:

image.thumb.png.274543ae86a53389a72d874e0bc515f8.pngThis is apparently what the settings should look like so not sure why it doesn't, will have to speak to the dealer 

I checked - the "Wireless Lock When Door Opened" option is absent from mine too - so they aren't just picking on you! 🙂

It could be an option applicable to an earlier or later version, but I rather suspect that it applies to North American rather than UK cars. Where did you find the information and snapshot?

As you say, speaking with your dealer is probably the next step - good luck!

thank you Philip, it was a Rav4 Owners Club that told me about it 

4 minutes ago, StanHolmes said:

thank you Philip, it was a Rav4 Owners Club that told me about it 

Yes ... RAV4 World is a North American forum and they are, well, different ... 😉

Yes,  wry different it’s interesting to follow the cries of outrage at the cost of fuel?