Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Please help, Auris 2012 awkward tail light

Mike 2121

Please help, my handbook tells me easily how to change the bulb, but the configuration in the book is not the same as in my car. There's a couple of bulb sockets at the top but the actual bulb is at the bottom, six - eight inches away, do you have to the front bumper off or something ? 🤔.     I've tried to upload images but cant.   I've changed many bulbs easily in cars over the years but this Auris is a nightmare for changing bulbs

Which generation is it?

First - 2007-2012

Ra04ceda7d0e928df9d8459ba44c47ceb.jpeg

Second 2012-2018

download.jpeg

• Thanks 1

First generation , apparently when I was looking on the Halfords 'which bulb screen' it said Auris 2010 - 2012, it's the TR Valvematic 1.6 petrol.

I've found a couple of videos, looks like I have to take the whole outside light out by two screws inside.

I suppose we all have to compromise because the Auris is Severely bullet proof/reliable but everything else is !Removed! awkward and annoying lol

Mike, adding images is easy as long as you know where the images are, and the image file is not too big. I take a photo with my camera, stick the screen card in my computer, click on the “paper clip” symbol when I creating a message on this forum, and just load it.

re your problem, my wife has a 2010 Auris so should be the same as yours. The rear cluster bulbs are accessed from inside the boot on hers.

• Thanks 1

There's only a couple of sockets behind the boot, but when I look through the light on the outside, the tail light bulb is at the bottom, so unless the bulb stretches to about eight inches down, it's not behind the boot lol

4 minutes ago, Mike 2121 said:

There's only a couple of sockets behind the boot, but when I look through the light on the outside, the tail light bulb is at the bottom, so unless the bulb stretches to about eight inches down, it's not behind the boot lol

Hi, it’s just a visual effect and all rear cluster bulbs are accessible from the little window through the boot. I had same experience as you at first . You can easily change stop light and side light bulbs the others, no need to remove the whole cluster, I have seen better designs though. 

Cheers, but when I open the felt inside the boot I can't see a socket to pull out which Is level with the boot outside

Well done for loading the images.

Cant check our Auris, wife’s away for the weekend, back Monday and you will have solved it by then - hopefully.

• Thanks 1

Just take the whole thing out, if i remember correctly, it's only 2 screws for which you will use 10mm spanner. And also 2 plastic clips holding it.

I took both of mine out some 2 years ago, was pretty easy. 

• Thanks 1

If taking clusters off the car the best is to clean properly all around the body and the clusters themselves and use new gasket seals or some silicone. Rear lights have drainage canals and This is a failure point on this model and with the time when dirt is accumulated stops water drains quickly and freely and water starts getting inside the boot, can fill up full your spare tire compartment and even overflow and goes into the rear seat footwells. Re seal and clean lights is ultra important maintenance especially on the hybrid Toyota since the Battery is located exactly there and hybrid Battery can suffers from moisture damage. 

Cheers guys. Soz, but toyota makers/bosses Anger me so much, because it's almost as if they say at the board meeting:  ' Right ! let's make it as hard as we can , for Toyota owners to change a bulb ' lol.

People are too busy to book their car in for the day, every time a bulb goes lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike 2121 said:

Your second pic is pointing too low on the RHS you need to be higher up and directly behind the lamps , look at the video attached HERE  & HERE

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mike 2121 said:

Cheers guys. Soz, but toyota makers/bosses Anger me so much, because it's almost as if they say at the board meeting:  ' Right ! let's make it as hard as we can , for Toyota owners to change a bulb ' lol.

People are too busy to book their car in for the day, every time a bulb goes lol

When you see how easy it actually is you'll kick yourself! From memory at first sight it looks way more difficult than it is. First time I had a bulb blow I struggled, but after owning the car for a while and changing a couple of rear bulbs it becomes a 5 minute job.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

When you see how easy it actually is you'll kick yourself! From memory at first sight it looks way more difficult than it is. First time I had a bulb blow I struggled, but after owning the car for a while and changing a couple of rear bulbs it becomes a 5 minute job.

Front side bulbs (parking bulbs) are pain , bought led because of that reason but they turned to be illegal and haven’t use them yet. Perhaps will sell and continue to use long life Osram w5w 

7 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Front side bulbs (parking bulbs) are pain , bought led because of that reason but they turned to be illegal and haven’t use them yet. Perhaps will sell and continue to use long life Osram w5w 

Yes the fronts are trickier, but thats true on a lot of cars. At least the dipped beam is relatively easy to change if I remember correctly?

15 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

Yes the fronts are trickier, but thats true on a lot of cars. At least the dipped beam is relatively easy to change if I remember correctly?

Yes, that’s right. They are easy to change, just disconnect the wire and twist. 👍

Did Exactly what he did in this video, but the light would not come off on my car, as it easily did on his, any suggestions ?

I dare not use any pressure incase I break it

https://youtu.be/NMGmpfl70q0

31 minutes ago, Mike 2121 said:

Did Exactly what he did in this video, but the light would not come off on my car, as it easily did on his, any suggestions ?

I dare not use any pressure incase I break it

https://youtu.be/NMGmpfl70q0

Just need to twist to the left and pull out. Best to have mechanic gloves 🧤 as these helps a lot, give power and comfort to your fingers. 👍

• Thanks 1

I'm concerned I'll break it, as I broke the license plate light last year.

I was thinking of getting Halfords to do it, but unless they have done an intense course on fitting various lights , I wouldn't want them near it as they would be know better than me

Probably the light cluster was off at some point, so he had no issue removing it. First time i took mine out, it was very hard to unplug the harness from the light cluster. After it was removed once, it was much easier afterwards.

If screws are out, then it's only the plastic clips holding it, top and bottom. If those are out of the way, you can pull it.

You might encounter some resistance from the gasket that's between the cluster and the car.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links