Do Not Sell My Personal Information

T27 windscreen washer

MikeEH

The driver's side windscreen washers are only getting to about 3 to 4 inches up the screen. I reason that either they need adjusting or they could be blocked somewhat. The owner's manual gives no advice on how to adjust them - they seem to be hidden under the bonnet - and the advice on a blockage is: "When a nozzle becomes blocked - Do not try to clean it with a pin or other object. The nozzle will be damaged." That's all! So how DO they recommend un-blocking them?

Can someone please advise on adjusting the washers and also a suitable (non-damaging) way of un-blocking the nozzles.

Thanks.

I had a similar problem. They are not adjustable - i had to replace it in the end.  

when I was getting the replacement there was 3 different part numbers ( different angle of the jet for each part number) - you have to know which one is in your car - they have an identifier on the front of them.  I should have a picture of mine when I did it recently. I’ll post it later when I find it

Thanks for reply. Why can't they just keep things simple?

Was it Tesla who said, "There's technology and there's progress. If the technology doesn't benefit the people, then it's not progress."

I've got exactly the same issue on drivers side, water only goes up a few inches, im going to give unblocking them a go, worth a shot if dosnt work then just have to take it to garage and they can replace. 

6 hours ago, Briano said:

I had a similar problem. They are not adjustable - i had to replace it in the end.  

when I was getting the replacement there was 3 different part numbers ( different angle of the jet for each part number) - you have to know which one is in your car - they have an identifier on the front of them.  I should have a picture of mine when I did it recently. I’ll post it later when I find it

See pictures - this is the part in my 2016 T27.   From memory the “0” is 0 degrees and I think there is a +2 and -2 degree option but I’m open to correction on that

7D303702-AA9B-49E9-8ABE-DA1854387740.jpeg

823CB9D3-61DB-4A4E-8F55-F4C2AD12BB6F.jpeg

• Like 1

Did anyone try temporarily covering the nozzles of the working washers with gaffa tape or similar in the hope that the extra pressure would maybe clear the blocked nozzles?

Follow the pipes back from the jets and you will find a 3 way valve ( between soundproofing and bonnet ) with two outputs and one input running back the the pump swap the outputs does this move the issue?

Yes, the 3 way valve has a non return valve built in its failed and restricting output on one of outputs, replace the valve part number 85321-28020

No, the weak jet is blocked try removing it and soaking in soapy boiling water otherwise fit a new jet.

Thanks, will try tomorrow - weather permitting.

This might sound wimp-ish, but how do you remove the bonnet sound-proofing clips? All I've seemed to achieve using two opposing screwdrivers, is to severely damage the sound-proofing material around the clips......bits of it kept falling off! I stopped doing this and got my wife to activate the washers whilst holding my thumb over the jets on the working nozzle to block the stream. This did work to a fashion as one of the weak jets sprang into action and shot right up the windscreen. However the second jet still remains blocked. So I was going to remove the offending nozzle to give it a good soak in soapy boiling water, but couldn't find how to remove it. Whatever I did, it didn't pop off....it just stayed there laughing at me! Anyone know the secret? Thanks......

I didn’t have to remove the soundproofing to get the washer jet out, just carefully removed it with a screwdriver to release the clip. I wrapped the tip with tape to protect the paint. If you are planning on putting it back in you need to be careful you don’t damage the clip that holds it in place on the bonnet.  But maybe the sound proofing is different on mine (2WW engine)

My last Avensis had 2 sets of washer nozzle replaced as apparently they block extremely easy if you use cheap washer fluid. I've used good quality pre-mixed fluid for the past 5 years and I've never had a problem with the nozzles blocking.

I used cheap undiluted washer fluid in the past with both my corolla and carinas without any problems. 

So my recommendation is not to use undiluted or cheap washer fluid in an Avensis. 

• Like 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:29 PM, estate said:

My last Avensis had 2 sets of washer nozzle replaced as apparently they block extremely easy if you use cheap washer fluid. I've used good quality pre-mixed fluid for the past 5 years and I've never had a problem with the nozzles blocking.

I used cheap undiluted washer fluid in the past with both my corolla and carinas without any problems. 

So my recommendation is not to use undiluted or cheap washer fluid in an Avensis. 

I do use pre-mixed washer fluid from the supermarket without any issues. When I first owned my car, One of the jets was not working properly so I cleaned it out. Since then no problems. I assume the previous owners used tap water, which I never do unless last resort. I use de-ionized water to dilute neat washer fluid or coolant.  

On 6/28/2021 at 9:29 PM, estate said:

Also the case with many recent VW group cars that the washer jets block very easily and they won't cover any washer issues under warranty unless you've used the 'official' Volkswagen washer fluid at £3+ per litre!

Thanks for replies.

I'll try to remove the nozzle unit this evening and try to clean it. Knowing my luck the clip will break no matter how careful I try not to.....

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried and tried and so has my neighbour but we can't unclip the nozzle from the bonnet. We've tried to insert screwdrivers into the slot but they don't go in far enough to be able to release the clip - I assume that's where the clip is as we can't see one anywhere else. Can someone please tell me the secret. Thanks.