Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Highlander Test Drive Thoughts

bristolmotorspeedway

Thought I would post this as Highlander info is thin on the ground thus far.

I was fortunate enough to have a Highlander 2.5 hybrid Excel for the day today, whilst our Auris was in for recall work. Kudos to Motorline Bristol South for sorting out this extended test drive, fantastic service.

Context is that the Highlander was not on the market here in the UK when I was choosing a full-size SUV (full size by UK standards, not US where these models would in the main be midsize). Having driven all of Model X, X3(!), X5, X7, RRS and Cayenne, I bought a LR Discovery 5 (D5). A brilliant car, but I've been tempted to think of changing it due to the incredible used car valuations presently available. 

Anyway...thoughts on the Highlander. It's an interesting model, size-wise it's comparable to most of those premium brand cars mentioned above, longer than a X5 or RRS, similar length to a D5, shorter than a X7. It's a fair bit larger than the Kia/Hyundai mainstream competition. To my mind, it's a bit of a bargain in our market.

Interior/practicality: really spacious in rows 1 and 2, but row 3 is definitely for kids only. It's a different set of compromises to the D5, which has a fully adult-friendly 3rd row, but has less 2nd row leg room than the Highlander.  Of the cars I have driven, only the X7 (which is huge at 5.15m) has equal or greater room in the 2nd row. The boot is excellent and far more useful with the 3rd row in place than the D5. That said, for me a 3rd row is a very occasionally used option and usually used by an adult.

Interior/trim: this is where the Highlander clearly lags the premium-branded rivals. The materials do not have the same luxurious quality as a top-end D5 or X5/7. That said, they are quality - just of a hollower, less natural set of materials. 

The drive: this is where the hybrid shines and the Highlander knocks spots off any premium diesel SUV for low speed refinement (my D5 is a 3.0 v6 diesel). I loved the EV mode and imperceptible switching in and out of the engine (imperceptible on the move, not at idle). The handling is excellent, very car-like and agile for something of this size and the car really does shrink around you. The ride lacks the extra comfort that air-springs give on many surfaces, but it's a very comfortable car. 

Equipment levels in the Excel are great, but to my mind the Excel Premium is a no-brainer with cooled front seats, HUD, kick tailgate, 360 cameras and heated rear seats added for very little extra cost. These are all features that I use all the time in the D5.

Would I buy one? Yes, without a shadow of a doubt. In Land Rover circles, many people who have owned both talk about the D5 in top spec as being 90% of a full fat Range Rover for 75% of the cost. This equation seemed to be what the Highlander also nails, for 75% of the cost of a premium branded SUV of similar size, the Highlander covers 90% of the abilities. Of course it will also cost vastly less to run as it ages, as Toyota reliability is second to none.

Will I buy one? A similar but slightly different question. The answer is probably...maybe in a few months or a year, once we have enjoyed the D5 for a bit longer. 

ETA - I would also mark the Highlander down for the infotainment, it's a crying shame that they've chosen to import the old school 8in setup rather than the larger 11in setup that is fitted to upscale US Highlanders.

11 hours ago, bristolmotorspeedway said:

it's a crying shame that they've chosen to import the old school 8in setup rather than the larger 11in setup that is fitted to upscale US Highlanders.

The US market uses a different multimedia system (Entune) to the one for Europe (Touch 2). Think currently the Touch 2's largest screen is 8 inch.

• Thanks 1

Ah, that makes sense of what I thought was a very strange decision. 

• 1 month later...
On 6/18/2021 at 10:24 AM, FROSTYBALLS said:

The US market uses a different multimedia system (Entune) to the one for Europe (Touch 2). Think currently the Touch 2's largest screen is 8 inch.

Do you know if Toyota plan to bring Entune to UK models anytime soon?

No. It's a different system - Europe has Touch 2 instead currently. That's not to say though that larger multimedia units won't become available here.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I took delivery of my Highlander a month ago. If anyones considering one I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts and how I arrived at the purchase of it. It sits on my driveway beside my iQ commuter, sublime and ridiculous together haha.

Congratulations D14, a cracking choice and a real bargain in the marketplace imho. 

we came very very close to ordering a Highlander, but the Disco is still with us. The thinking became “wait for a full EV”. 

Really good car the Highlander though. Would be interested to hear your thoughts and what you compared it to. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links