Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Center of dash very noisy with creaks and cracks

Inpresmoj

Just bought my first Toyota after owning several other makes over the years, really happy with it apart from noise from the dash which is much worse when the weather is hotter.  Even gently pulling away or gentle braking, and small imperfections in the road cause the dash in the center to creak or crack, its a plastic against plastic type noise. 

I think its coming from several different places, if i go over a bigger bump, it sounds like bits of the dash are crashing together.  It's probably the worst interior noise i've ever had, so it is spoiling the car quite a bit.

Looking into it all i've come up with is spraying silicone spray into all the gaps, can only one recommend one that doesn't smell too bad that is decent, think i will try this first and if no joy take it into Toyota and see what they can do. I accept i will always get these types of noises from cars but you can clearly hear it even above music at a decent volume and i've never had it this bad before.  

Anyone else with the 2009-2012 plate had these types of issues before, is there a known problem area or fix that i can look at

If it’s a creaking noise press on the noisy spot when your driving over bad road to see if noise goes away. If it does try put a small piece of felt material in the gap between the two parts. Careful not scratch your dash board. 

I have not noticed any noises in my 2009 Valvematic Tourer TR. I have taken some of the dash and centre console apart to install bluetooth and USB adapters. I did this a few times, when updating to a newer and better adapter. I made sure everything is put back properly. I have trim removal tool kit, so no marks or scratches. Some of the panels are easy to remove, others not so much. 
As John has said, try and find the source of the noise and see if you can fix it.

I have used those soft furniture pads (what You use under chair feet etc. to not scratch floor) to places where they can't been seen. Just find the panel wich makes the sound, remove it and put those pads behind panel where the sound comes and install panel back. Usually sound comes when plastic touches plastic. Those pads have adhesive side and they are easy to remove if needed, and they are easy to cut smaller pieces with scissors.

thanks for tips on felt pads i will look into that.   I think i will see if my mechanic has any tools to remove bits of the dash, or does it have to be some kind of special kit.  I've done general light car repairs before but nothing too involved.  The silicone spray i was looking at would probably be easier, apparently it can work but needs doing every 6 months or so, the pads would be a better long term solution but obviously a bit more involved.  I do think its something that can be fixed because its not deep inside the dash it sounds like its coming from where all the different plastic sections fit together in the front centre.