Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No 5th gear

Liz Davies

Hi.

Thinking of buying 03 plate rav4 d4d.

Will nor go into 5th gear.

How to fix please.

Remove gearbox.  Strip gearbox and replace worn/broken parts.  Or pay lots of money for someone else to do it.  So only buy it if you're prepared to pay a large sum to fix it, and the price reflects that.  If the seller tells you it will only cost a little to fix, reply "Fine, you get it done, and then I'll buy it."

Seriously, don't buy this car.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Liz Davies said:

Hi.

Thinking of buying 03 plate rav4 d4d.

Will nor go into 5th gear.

How to fix please.

Sounds like you not a mechanic Liz, unless you like getting your hands dirty, or emptying your purse, I tend to look for a different car.

• Like 1

I agree with the previous couple of posts.  Unless you’re really familiar with a particular car I think the general principle is do not buy a car that has significant issues.  The gear box is a major strip down and who knows what else you’ll find in doing so.  For sure there will likely be bushes and fixings and assume it’s a manual then the clutch may also be compromised. If your not doing the work yourself then it will burn money.

Liz, my advice is ... run away from it.  I have personal experience of this. My daughter wanted a car which we arranged to see at a dealers. When we got there it had 3 flat tyres, brake lights didn't work. it had a flat Battery and was still on a cherished plate which was supposed to have been changed.  Her question was, 'what do we do about it'. The answer ... we walk away  A second one I had already checked on the Government MOT database which showed that for the past 4 years it had an 'advisory' of an oil leak. When we got to see it, lo and behold, there was a puddle of oil underneath it. Plus it misfired on a test run. Same question, 'what do WE do about it'. Same answer, 'WE don't do anything, we run'

There are plenty others out there. 

The  question regarding repair of the gearbox is only part of he problem. Getting it out is the first problem, and in a garage that could take a day to do. Its not a DIY job.. 

Thank you so much guys. Confirmed my suspicions.

Saved me lots of money!!!!

• Like 1

To throw a spanner in the works so to speak, if it’s just the 5th gear then this can be done fairly easily , remove passenger wheel, inner plastic arch and you will see end of gearbox, the 5th gear assembly sits on the end and once gearbox drained , end plate removed to reveal the 5th gear, I replaced mine complete parts ( around £250) in under 3 hours when I had my 2004 Rav so any decent mechanic shouldn’t have a problem but don’t really want to buy one with the problem from the start.

As Grumpy stumpy writes, it can be a pretty easy fix if it's only the 5th gear.

As the others suggest, buying a "broken" car might not be the best option. Likewise there are potential issues with a Rav 4.2 d4d.

Had a couple of these, and experienced probably everything worth mentioning with the model.

Engine: Turbo getting stuck in the VNT part, turbo die due to lack of lubrication (build up in the oil-pickup, reason it injector related), injectors, sod buildup in the intake manifold/EGR, SCV in the fuel pump.

Suspension: can be expensive if control arms has to be replaced due to wrong alignment of the wheels, bushings........

But but but... if the car is running as it supposed to, then it's really a fantastic car.. I have never regretted that I bought and drove... yeah it can be expensive.

On both of mine I mounted a Old Man Emu (OME) suspension, and it was worth every penny.

Anyway... just my opinion

HAF 

Personally I would buy the petrol 4.2 as are bullet proof , none of the issues which come with the diesel , at the time I was advised by  a good friend of mine who runs an independent Toyota garage, go for the petrol never have them in for repair but unlike the diesels.

• Like 1

As a 4.2 petrol owner, I have to agree.  Never had a problem, apart from the driver's sunvisor.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links