Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo wheel trim obstructs valve

Jouef

A Track Pump will resolve this issue.

Visit your local Bike Shop.

Tel

13 hours ago, Tel 2 said:

A Track Pump will resolve this issue.

Not really. The issue isn’t getting a line to the vicinity of valve. It’s getting the connector onto the valve when the hubcap design offers too little space to do so. Connectors on the track pumps I’ve seen seem no different in this respect.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 3:58 PM, Dave the aygo said:

Just a thought as anyone tried a piece of radiator overflow pipe and push it onto the cap would make taking the cap of easier 👍

I’m sure you’re right, and would reduce the number of caps I’ve lost when dropped into the wheel rim while trying to grip them in a space too narrow for more than one fingertip. At the moment I’m using 20mm extended plastic caps, which are intended as valve extensions but can just be used as caps.

Just to chuck in that I had this issue with my 2020 X-Play, couldn't believe Toyota could be so stupid as to design something so poor. It turned a simple job into a complete nightmare! While I'm not fussed about having alloys at least on the X-Trend I don't dread checking the pressures any more.

4 hours ago, Stecha said:

Well spotted, thanks. Not quite ideal, as they have ribbed rather than threaded ends. That means a screw-on connector (like some portable compressors you might carry in case of an emergency) would be back to square one. However I bought set anyway, as they’re Made in England new-old-stock and you don’t see that very often. The modern ones I posted about above, on 5 July 2021, didn’t work, so if I ever tried again these might be better.

On the subject of threads, also mentioned above is a thread-to-push-on converter. And I have a Ring rechargeable compressor with a long screw-on collar which looks easier to connect. I haven’t tried either on the offending Aygo yet, though.

• Like 1

Have just bought a 68 reg AYGO & am finding the positioning of rear tyre valves prevent successful inflation.  Is this common, & if so, what solutions have you found?  
Age is a factor here as we are in our mid 70’s & can’t be engaging in a fight to the death every time we check the tyres!

You are not alone, if yours has wheel trims rather than alloys, been an issue with triplet cars (Aygo/C1/107) for many years, but few solutions in topic above. Our 107 is the worst car we had for checking tyre pressures, the valve length very short. Personally I find it easier to check if the valve is near top of tyre rather than low down, so moving the car may help, not ideal I know, sometimes need must.

• Like 1

It is a known issue for some, find a local independent tyre place and ask if they can fit longer valve stems

Topics merged.

On 3/27/2022 at 5:26 PM, Caroline James said:

Have just bought a 68 reg AYGO & am finding the positioning of rear tyre valves prevent successful inflation.  Is this common, & if so, what solutions have you found?  
Age is a factor here as we are in our mid 70’s & can’t be engaging in a fight to the death every time we check the tyres!

Yes, it’s common. People above report the same problem with this and related models. You illustrate how this simple design error compromises your safety. The same goes for the users of my Aygo, who are neither technically-minded nor physically adept. It’s dangerous, it’s negligent and it’s not good enough. 

Suggestions above include valve extensions, longer valves, cutting down the hub caps or using connector adaptors. Maybe replacing with different hubcaps. Or not making stupid design errors in the first place. Or not buying an Aygo.

The only foolproof solution would be the last one.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jouef said:

Or not buying an Aygo ....

..... with wheel trims (2018 onwards).

Aygos with alloys don't have the same issue.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jouef said:

Yes, it’s common. People above report the same problem with this and related models. You illustrate how this simple design error compromises your safety. The same goes for the users of my Aygo, who are neither technically-minded nor physically adept. It’s dangerous, it’s negligent and it’s not good enough. 

Suggestions above include valve extensions, longer valves, cutting down the hub caps or using connector adaptors. Maybe replacing with different hubcaps. Or not making stupid design errors in the first place. Or not buying an Aygo.

The only foolproof solution would be the last one.

It may be a foolproof solution but a little drastic when there are so many ways to buy an Aygo that does not have the problem such as alloy wheels as Frostyballs suggests.

51 minutes ago, Jouef said:

Or not buying an Aygo.

No one would buy a car as all manufacturers will have detail that annoys someone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

..... with wheel trims (2018 onwards).

Aygos with alloys don't have the same issue.

1 hour ago, Hornet3D said:

It may be a foolproof solution but a little drastic when there are so many ways to buy an Aygo that does not have the problem such as alloy wheels as Frostyballs suggests.

How does the buyer know which design faults to avoid when specifying their Aygo? Does the dealer point them out?

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

No one would buy a car as all manufacturers will have detail that annoys someone.

Exactly. Which makes the solution, as I suggested above, “… not making stupid design errors in the first place”.

18 minutes ago, Jouef said:

How does the buyer know which design faults to avoid when specifying their Aygo? Does the dealer point them out?

The same applies to any car from any manufacturer.

Get used to it.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The same applies to any car from any manufacturer.

Get used to it.

This isn’t an annoying quirky feature. It’s a safety-critical design fault. It prevents the ability to routinely check tyre pressures at recommended intervals without considerable inconvenience. I have pointed it out to three departments at Toyota, whose response amounted to yours: ‘Get used to it’.

Was the reason you removed the words ‘can’t check tyre pressures’ from this thread’s title something to do with this site not being as independent as I thought?

The topic title was edited due to being merged with another similar topic, and the notice of the merger was posted on Sunday.

Please return to the subject of the topic.

This or something similar can help a lot for valves which are located deep inside the wheel, I have use these on electric scooter that otherwise almost impossible to check tyre pressure or top up. 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pack-Of-4-Metal-Schrader-Tyre-Valve-Extensions-VAL103-40-mm-Long-/372661784301?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

• Like 1

On 3/27/2022 at 5:26 PM, Caroline James said:

Assuming you bought the car from a dealer, and as you've bought the car within the last six months, you could have a look at the Consumer Rights Act 2015 with a view to getting the dealer to replace the wheel trims with something more suitable (eg new wheel trims from the pre-facelift Aygo (2014-2017)):

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

6 hours ago, Jouef said:

To be clear I was not arguing that this was not a design fault, nor was I arguing it was the buyers fault.  My point was simply not buying the Aygo was, to me, a drastic action.   True the dealer will not point out the the design faults but surely this is not something unique to the Aygo so that you could buy something much more expensive and still find it has design faults.

7 hours ago, Jouef said:

Exactly. Which makes the solution, as I suggested above, “… not making stupid design errors in the first place”.

Ooooh, I wish I was perfect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Ooooh, I wish I was perfect.

For a design to function to basic safety standards, I think we’re in the realm of competence rather than perfection.

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

This or something similar can help a lot for valves which are located deep inside the wheel, I have use these on electric scooter that otherwise almost impossible to check tyre pressure or top up. 👍

Sounds good, and the ones you link to are threaded (rather than the more commonly ribbed) so would accept a screw-on connector, like many foot pumps, compressors and foam kits, as well as a push-on. However the ones I tried did not work well on the Aygo. Air leaked when pumping up.

• Like 1