Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo wheel trim obstructs valve

Jouef

Why do you solve so complicated valves on metal wheels with plastic covers and the inability to inflate tires through them? Is it such a big problem to always remove the cover and reassemble it? Work on 1 round, always for 10 and 10 seconds. I made a product from sheet metal that helps me take off the cover and I have no problem with inflating the wheels.

Could this be the longest running thread without a solution, It has now been over 9 months. 😄

There are a choice of third party wheel trims on Amazon from around £20 a set ......

The originals could be taken off and kept for when the car is sold on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DusanCZ said:

Why do you solve so complicated valves on metal wheels with plastic covers and the inability to inflate tires through them? Is it such a big problem to always remove the cover and reassemble it? Work on 1 round, always for 10 and 10 seconds. I made a product from sheet metal that helps me take off the cover and I have no problem with inflating the wheels.

The downside of that simple solution is that the clips that hold the trims onto the wheel get weakened each time they are taken off, and eventually will fall off.

Off Topic - ever wondered why you see so many Vauxhall/Opel cars with the wheel trims held on by tie wraps?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DusanCZ said:

… Is it such a big problem to always remove the cover and reassemble it? …

20 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

The downside of that simple solution is that the clips that hold the trims onto the wheel get weakened each time they are taken off, and eventually will fall off …

Before alloys were commonplace, I lost a few plastic trims and so always used cable-ties (or left the steel bare). Ties have to be cut off and renewed every time. Wheel trims are often absolutely filthy. They can be tricky/stiff to remove or refit, sometimes needing a tool which might be buried in the boot with the spare. The more they are disturbed the clips break, the retaining ring weld fractures, and those with metal clips lose them. Who wants a dirty, sometimes awkward extra job which shouldn’t be necessary?

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 4:38 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

There are a choice of third party wheel trims on Amazon from around £20 a set ......

The originals could be taken off and kept for when the car is sold on.

This has to be the most elegant solution of all. No modding or disturbance of the valves, and provides what Toyota should have done in the first place. Not sure about keeping the originals though; some of us don’t have the storage - or the memory. I’d keep a careful note of the supplier too, in case a duplicate is ever needed.

• 10 months later...
On 7/3/2021 at 10:21 PM, Cyker said:

It is a weird oversight... next time you get your tyres changed, ask the tyre changer to swap the valves for ones with longer stems maybe. Lucky they're not TPMS ones as you have more choice with normal valves!

Well, it’s been a while. I normally don’t see this car free on a weekday. But finally got called out to help with a puncture. I took the opportunity to get all the valves changed. Toyota couldn’t have cared less. Neither main dealer nor HQ had lifted a finger when I told them. But Pemberton’s fitter took one look, spotted the problem and had all four changed in minutes.

A23465FF-82ED-40C5-B60D-1EA328D5FDA8.jpeg

• Like 2