Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2019 hybrid Yaris - back drops, goes thunk

Myn0k

Hi all,

Im a very happy new owner of a lovely Yaris Hybrid. 

Car is a dream. I do have one slight concern. When parked, occasionally, after putting the car into drive and turning off the handbrake ready to go, the back of the car will drop a little and make a "thunk" noise. I don't think it did this when I first got the car, and it has only started doing it in the last week. 

Is this normal? Can anyone else relate?

Thanks 🙂

Has the car not been used for a few days ?? Do you park on a slope/hill ?

1 hour ago, Myn0k said:

Hi all,

Car is a dream. I do have one slight concern. When parked, occasionally, after putting the car into drive and turning off the handbrake ready to go, the back of the car will drop a little and make a "thunk" noise. I don't think it did this when I first got the car, and it has only started doing it in the last week. 

Thanks 🙂

Mine does the exact same thing but when i apply the electronic brake, a thunk, and the back of the car drops down, doesn't do it when i use the auto hold function though

2 hours ago, Myn0k said:

Not uncommon on many FWD cars*. Pads/shoes stick to metal surface when left for a length of time, especially outside in damp weather (ie. rust) (hence flash22's question).

They become like lovers and need a little persuasion to let go.

( * Happens on RWD too but as the drive is on the same wheels as the parking brake you don't get the 'nose up' (or 'nose down' if you try to reverse), just a reluctance to move then a sudden letting go.)

2 hours ago, Myn0k said:

and it has only started doing it in the last week.

It has been a little damp 🙂

A tip: This often happens if you wash the car and/or wheels and then leave it as is. Instead drive it up and down for a minute or two after finishing, holding the footbrake on lightly, or do a few firm stops. That will dry off the discs and pads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the handbrake on the rear caliper possibly passenger side, all i can put it down to is the disc flash rusts and/or the heat/cold causing the disc to expand/contract

Thanks all for your replies!

Yes it seems rather harmless, and in fact I identified it happens more on some surfaces than others.

Thank you :)

27 minutes ago, Myn0k said:

Thanks all for your replies!

Yes it seems rather harmless, and in fact I identified it happens more on some surfaces than others.

Thank you 🙂

Hi, you can try to park the car at ideally level ground and try the same manoeuvre, start the car select D and release the handbrake, make a note if it does that again . 👍

On 6/21/2021 at 8:59 PM, Myn0k said:

Hi all,

Thanks 🙂

Just one of the many reasons why I never actually used the handbrake on my 2017 Yaris Hybrid Excel. Just used the auto-hold function if on a hill and because my driveway is absolutely level, just put it in "P" when switching off.

OP has a 2019 yaris so a Mk3, i park on the road and live on a hill so handbrake is required

I think it is just the design of the caliper, It's a mechanical handbrake - effectively a leaver and a cam than pushes on the piston - the pads don't release from the disc when the handbrake is released it could just be a build up of dirt/brake dust or a combination of footbrake Pressure and applying the handbrake at the same time

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

OP has a 2019 yaris so a Mk3, i park on the road and live on a hill so handbrake is required

My 2017 Yaris was a Mk3 just not the "facelifted" version so effectively the same car. I never found myself in a situation where I had to actually park on a hill; hence why I never used the handbrake. No need. The transmission lock ("P") was all that was ever needed, even on a slight "off-level" situation.

445274505_KnightRidersq.thumb.jpg.04d95ffb530a1dad9a28b7ca6b9cd01c.jpg

I think it is just the design of the caliper, It's a mechanical handbrake - effectively a leaver and a cam than pushes on the piston - the pads don't release from the disc when the handbrake is released it could just be a build up of dirt/brake dust or a combination of footbrake Pressure and applying the handbrake at the same time

More than likely. The only time my handbrake ever got applied was when it was parked at the dealers after a service and I experienced exactly what the OP described sometimes; depending on how long it had been standing...

But this car behaviour is normal and it’s because the pads were sticking to the discs, if moisture or been left for longer will stick harder. The car will move either up or down after release of the handbrake will depend of the incline and direction of the car. , it’s just the car suspension levels itself after holding axle is free. I also do not use handbrake when parked on level ground but use when on incline places because it’s easy for the parking lock to release itself when select from P to D or R. 👍 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links