Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris won't accelerate sometimes

Cyker

Been having a weird issue which has put me in dangerous situations a few times now and wondering if anyone has any ideas:

Sometimes, my Mk 4 Yaris refuses to accelerate! It always seems to occur when entering a T-junction from the bottom and turning right, crossing a lane.

It's happened a few times now, leaving me straddling both left and right lanes with cars approaching, rolling forward slowly while mashing the accelerator frantically trying to get the damned thing to move. After I've slowly rolled about 45 degrees into the turn it'll slowly let me accelerate again and then I can pull away, but this is going to give me very brown trousers if it keeps doing this...!

I thought it might be the auto-brake, but I don't think it is as that normally flashes up BRAKE! on the HUD and dash and beeps at me. The non-accelerating thing doesn't do any beeping, but I think I once caught a glance of the word Object flashing up on the dash for a split second when it happened once. No messages or warning on the HUD at all.

Anyone got any suggestions?? It's been one of the few really bad issues I've had with this otherwise excellent car so far!!

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Been having a weird issue which has put me in dangerous situations a few times now and wondering if anyone has any ideas:

Sometimes, my Mk 4 Yaris refuses to accelerate! It always seems to occur when entering a T-junction from the bottom and turning right, crossing a lane.

It's happened a few times now, leaving me straddling both left and right lanes with cars approaching, rolling forward slowly while mashing the accelerator frantically trying to get the damned thing to move. After I've slowly rolled about 45 degrees into the turn it'll slowly let me accelerate again and then I can pull away, but this is going to give me very brown trousers if it keeps doing this...!

I thought it might be the auto-brake, but I don't think it is as that normally flashes up BRAKE! on the HUD and dash and beeps at me. The non-accelerating thing doesn't do any beeping, but I think I once caught a glance of the word Object flashing up on the dash for a split second when it happened once. No messages or warning on the HUD at all.

Anyone got any suggestions?? It's been one of the few really bad issues I've had with this otherwise excellent car so far!!

What model variant is yours? (...and I do note that you are abroad somewhere)

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I would be off to the nearest Toyota dealership as fast as possible , a new car shouldn’t be putting you in danger .

I would agree that this needs bringing to Toyota's attention. Although I can't find anything on this I did wonder if your suspicion of seeing 'Object' appear could be related to some collision or parking sensor setup although I wouldn't expect anything like that to be able to override the drivers input in any way. 

Worth mentioning I think as you never  know if there is some software glitch somewhere.

It doesn't happen often (I think it's only happened 3 times in the 2000 miles I've had the car) and I haven't been able to duplicate it on demand. After my previous experiences I have absolutely no faith in my local dealers ability to find anything - They are absolutely terrible at diagnosing problems that aren't already blindingly obvious or produce a code, and would most likely just take my car for a few days, charge me £150 and say they couldn't find anything wrong.

Annoyingly, since I've wired in my dash cam (Well, the front anyway... was going to do the back too but can't figure out a neat way of doing it! Any ideas welcome!), it's not happened! I was hoping I could at least catch it on camera and have something vague to show them at least.

I will e-mail Toyota GB just to make them aware of it, but I'm almost certain they'd just refer me to the local dealer.

I need to somehow get a camera on the dash to catch the message as I feel that would help give a better hint as to what's triggering it - The problem is, unlike the Mk1 and Mk2, the dash in the Mk4 is so far out of my eye-line I can't see what it says unless I stare at the screen to catch it, which I think we can appreciate is not something advisable to do when emerging on a T-junction!

It is a shame the message doesn't flash up on the HUD!

I was mainly posting here to see if anyone else had experienced it - I'm sure it's some aspect of the safety system as it is really over sensitive; I'm constantly getting the BRAKE! warning flash up when driving through narrow London roads, esp. where cars are parked either side.

However, the BRAKE! warning doesn't stop the car responding to the accelerator like this problem has been (Although it has slammed on the brakes once when some jack hole in a van cut me up in a 3-lane sweep trying to get onto the M4 exit - ***** the brakes on the Mk4 are good, but thank god nobody was behind me!)

The only thing I can think of to try is to set the PCS to minimum sensitivity, and see if it still happens. If you hear of a Mk4 Yaris being smashed in the front left and rear right in the middle of a T-junction in the news, then assume that didn't help :laugh:

Hi, had this happen to me a couple of times recently at one particular roundabout and a junction. It is been just after setting off and I eased off the accelerator, then wanted to accelerate out of the way. My car has had the recent upgrade for the recall, but this is a little disconcerting. I was in eco mode when this happened. I will monitor this and if it happens again get in touch with Toyota.

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

It is a shame the message doesn't flash up on the HUD!

If you have HUD, I can only assume that you have a Launch Edition? (it's the only model that comes with HUD as standard)

The reason I keep asking "what model?" is because there are big differences in the sonar/radar fittings that are standard? (see below)

image.thumb.png.e1743cbbe349c53a186620f732aeb8f4.png

The Excel is the only one with front/rear sonar as standard but it doesn't have HUD as standard. It's an optional extra. I was quite shocked to find out that as far as safety fitments are concerned, the Launch Edition does not have every single safety feature as standard... (I thought it did)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

The only thing I can think of to try is to set the PCS to minimum sensitivity, and see if it still happens.

(That's what I've done with mine...)

If you have the additional clearance sonar front & rear, that brings another factor into the mix...

Sorry, somehow missed your question! It's an Excel with the HUD option, yes :)

After I saw how awful the interior visibility was I figured I wanted as many sensors as I could have!! They've certainly got me into and out of some tight spaces, esp. with idiots in traffic!

I just wish more of that information showed up on the HUD - I really hate having to take my eyes off the road to check the sensor display when doing tight manoeuvres!

I think the Mk4 needs a London Streets mode for the sensors; I don't think Toyota appreciate how narrow some of the roads and gaps are here, not helped by the proliferation of bus lanes, cycle lanes, restricted roads, controlled parking zones that lead to other roads being congested with parking, new bus routes being sent down roads totally inadequate for such wide vehicles, trucks diverting down residential roads due to badly planned road works, I could go on!

So glad I got shot of those 17's and changed to 15's - Had to mount a kerb today to get around an idiot blocking the road, which is becoming an increasingly common occurrence because of these LTA's forcing traffic into fewer and fewer roads not designed to handle so much flow. Those 17s would not have survived long...!

• Like 1

Ahaha, so this is the reply I got from Toyota GB:

"Thank you for your email regarding your Toyota Yaris Hybrid and the issue your experiencing with pulling away from T junctions.

I am afraid that we are not able to provide any form of technical diagnosis by phone or email, ultimately that service has to be provided by the Toyota network.

My best advice would be to take the vehicle to your Local Toyota Centre to have this investigated and they will be able to tell you if it is covered under your 5 Year/100,000-mile warranty that you have on your Prius.

To find your local Toyota Centre please visit the below link:

https://www.toyota.co.uk/find-your-dealer [https://www.toyota.co.uk/find-your-dealer]

It is important to be aware that the Centre may charge you for the initial investigation however, if the issue is deemed to be a manufacturing defect the diagnosis and repair would be covered under your manufacturer\u2019s warranty.

Kind regards"

The first line is clearly typed by a human (Spot the grammar mistake! :laugh:), but everything else just screams cut-and-paste boilerplate. They even got the car model wrong the second time after getting it right the first :laugh:

I'll just have to be extra careful at T-junctions I guess...

To be fair, it hasn't happened again yet so maybe lowering the PCS sensitivity has helped! Fingers crossed...!

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

The first line is clearly typed by a human (Spot the grammar mistake! :laugh:), but everything else just screams cut-and-paste boilerplate. They even got the car model wrong the second time after getting it right the first :laugh:

Why am I not surprised!😉

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'll just have to be extra careful at T-junctions I guess...

To be fair, it hasn't happened again yet so maybe lowering the PCS sensitivity has helped! Fingers crossed...!

I think that that will be key. It would seem that your front Sonar is seeing things that aren't really a hazard. In many ways, I'm almost glad that I "traded down" from an Excel to the Launch Edition so that I didn't have to fiddle about with these extra sonar sensors. The one "extra" feature that I do really like on the Launch Edition is the uprated suspension. It is superb and gives the car a much more sure-footed feeling when driving. It corners as flat as a board and I like that very much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Sorry, somehow missed your question! It's an Excel with the HUD option, yes 🙂

After I saw how awful the interior visibility was I figured I wanted as many sensors as I could have!! They've certainly got me into and out of some tight spaces, esp. with idiots in traffic!

I just wish more of that information showed up on the HUD - I really hate having to take my eyes off the road to check the sensor display when doing tight manoeuvres!

I meant to add about the HUD. You're so right. I think Toyota have missed a trick with the HUD. It could show far more information than it does and is a bit of a letdown in some ways...

• Like 1

Yeah, totally agree - It's not bad; The main things I need are there like the speedo and the cruise control stuff (Which I am using all the time!), but I would have liked more warning and informational stuff be available on the HUD. In fact I'd love to be able to customize it more; Pick what I want displayed, where in the HUD to position them etc.

To be fair tho', having a HUD in a car like this is almost unheard of so I'm just grateful to have it! After driving earlier Yarisesesisuesis for so long, with their lovely collimated dashboards that aren't hidden behind the steering wheel (It's just so much better that way! I don't understand why tiny dials hidden behind a steering wheel is still a thing!), I just can't deal with having a dash so far off my eye-line any more. Whenever I drive 'normal' cars I feel like I have no idea what my speed is most of the time!

When the loss of acceleration occurred I was just wondering if the trip history in MyToyota picked up on it ?.

• 2 years later...

Hello. I had the exact same thing happen yesterday, pulling out right from a junction. Dangerous, scary and unacceptable. Toyota need to look into this as a matter of urgency before someone is seriously hurt. Has anyone had the same thing recur since reducing the PCS sensitivity.

• Like 1

My PCS is on lowest but it doesn't really help as when you're crossing a junction the cars crossing in front of you are too close and still well within sensing range.

If you could override it by panic-stamping on the accelerator or something it wouldn't be so bad, but so far I've found no way to override the 2 seconds it takes to regain control of the car.

The only way I've found to mitigate it, short of disabling the PCS completely, is to not launch the car after the passing car, but accelerate more gently; This means you'll need to wait for a significantly bigger gap and has forced me to change my routes to avoid fast junctions that are prone to such things.

It's happened a lot less frequently, but it is still a brown trousers moment when it just does it unpredictably out of the blue!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links