Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can I gently use a sink plunger too pull my light off as it won't come off easily as in the video ?

Mike 2121

Would Halfords be able to do it ? Unless they have done an intense bulb training course they're probably no better than me, and I don't have time to keep taking my car into Toyota every time a bulb goes lol

Try slightly tapping one of the bolts with a hammer, few times, to release the tension.

I think it's just the gasket baked onto the light cluster and bodywork, making it essentially glued.

After it's been removed once, the cluster is easily taken off after that.

Do note a lot of people have issues with water coming into the boot via light cluster due to bad sealing, so you need to check it after heavy rain,  and/or replace cluster, or apply silicone sealant in it's place. So try to keep the gasket intact.

• Like 1

Could be that someones already fixed a leak and has siliconed the light unit in. If you're just replacing bulbs you just pinch the red (i think) tabs from the inside and pull the bulb holding tray out. No need to take the cluster out from the outside.

• Like 1

Pic from when I resealed my rear lights. The cluster was out but you can pinch these clips to slide back the bulb 'tray' from inside the boot.

bulbholderclips.thumb.jpg.9885b64176609a4cf4af968a9da09e42.jpg.20079d389e6f735602611deeee77042e.jpg

Just noticed though that mines a MK1 pre facelift so might be constructed differently. Hope this helps though.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, MrZardoz said:

Pic from when I resealed my rear lights. The cluster was out but you can pinch these clips to slide back the bulb 'tray' from inside the boot.

bulbholderclips.thumb.jpg.9885b64176609a4cf4af968a9da09e42.jpg.20079d389e6f735602611deeee77042e.jpg

Just noticed though that mines a MK1 pre facelift so might be constructed differently. Hope this helps though.

That's exactly what my mk1 pre-facelift was like. I can only think the facelift must be different as there was no need at all to remove the cluster on mine? I would be reluctant to remove the cluster anyway if it doesn't currently leak rainwater as I suspect removing and refitting would be quite likely to make it start leaking!

• Like 1

I tried tapping one of the bolts,no luck.  Also which part of light do you apply the silicone sealant ? Just on the orange plastic bit that you can see when you open the boot ?

Do Toyota make it so hard on purpose so you have to pay money for a mechanic to do it ?

Just a worrying thought, if I get pulled by the police, and I told the police I just can't get the light off , would the AA breakdown agree to help me because I've been stopped by the police ?, because we all know that the RAC and AA won't usually come out for a blown bulb.

The AA should still come out as it could be a safety issue at night lol

If you might think there's a silicone or some sealant around the cluster, try spraying some wd40 around it. Or just spray above the light, it will go down anyway.

Or try your luck again with replacing the bulb. I think they turn anti clockwise to unlock.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike 2121 said:

I tried tapping one of the bolts,no luck.  Also which part of light do you apply the silicone sealant ? Just on the orange plastic bit that you can see when you open the boot ?

Do Toyota make it so hard on purpose so you have to pay money for a mechanic to do it ?

Can you take a picture of the back of your light cluster from inside the boot and someone here might be able to spot how to remove the bulb? Does it look different to the pic Daz has posted above?

I've never yet known a Toyota to need the cluster removing in order to replace a bulb.

13 hours ago, Mike 2121 said:

As you can see the sockets in the back are inline with the reverse light, not the tail light lol, cheers

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NqsFcN12WL1vE3gj6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6rMWjxms2Mbpu4Us5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8YYsijGr5C2MSsXP6

Bear in mind that the bulb holders may be mounted at an angle so they won't necessarily be directly behind the light they relate to. Easiest way is just take the bulb holders you can reach out one by one and see if the bulb in them has blown. 

Edit: I've had a look at a few Auris rear clusters on eBay, the 2010-12 model did have a different type to the earlier model. Yours will have individual removable bulb holders instead of the grey removable panel that the original Auris had. Nevertheless they are all reasonably accessible by the looks of it and no need to remove the cluster. One of the bulb holders visible in your pictures will be the one. Just because they look like they are behind the reverse light doesn't mean that they are!

• Thanks 1

once the light is off i would smear some vaselene where

the gasket sits you will see the outline of the seal on the bodywork

this will help the removal of the light in the future.

have you thought of using leds instead since the bulbs are blowing often

Seriously folks, removing the light cluster to change this bulb is like removing the engine to change the spark plugs 😉

Halfords would do it in about 2 minutes if the OP can't figure it out. 

Ok, I'll look into LED lights lol, cheers guys

This pic might be helpful. It's a clear view of the back of a facelift Auris NS rear light cluster removed from the car, so you can see a bit more easily what you're dealing with:

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313437703986

I think the bulb holder you need to look at for the tail lamp is that central black one with the white and blue wires.

The very top left I think will be the reversing light, the middle grey one pointing upwards the indicator and the right hand grey one the brake light.

• Like 2

You can even see the relevant bulb holder clearly in one of your own pics 😀 This black one the arrow is pointing to. It should just pull out I think.

IMG_20210625_190833774.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Mike , you don’t need to take your cluster out to change any of your bulbs. All you need is just to slightly turn the bulb holder into the left and pull out, replace the bulb and put back in, slight turn to the right and all is done. If you want to take the cluster out you need to undo two nuts and then clip in two blue clips so the little locks can get into the holes and then pull the cluster out. Mechanic gloves are must have for both changing bulbs or removing cluster. Your ones doesn’t looks like been glued with silicone so no worries there. 

DD15228D-1F2F-4129-A1B8-4423DDE66DF6.jpeg

• Like 1

Isn't that the brake light ??

Forgot to mention, that I found out, and can see the through the cluster outside that each taillight has two bulbs, unless the plastic is deceiving my eyes, I'm gonna Pop into Toyota tomorrow and ask them, probably get Halfords to do it, if they can.

I broke a license plate light last year, so I just can't take the risk of breaking something again.

I'll let you know when I've sorted this mystery 😀

Brake light should be dual filament, but one bulb.

One is tail light, other lights up when you break.

Bulb holder should turn for 1/4 of a turn, after that it can be taken out.

18 hours ago, Mike 2121 said:

Isn't that the brake light ??

Forgot to mention, that I found out, and can see the through the cluster outside that each taillight has two bulbs, unless the plastic is deceiving my eyes, I'm gonna Pop into Toyota tomorrow and ask them, probably get Halfords to do it, if they can.

I broke a license plate light last year, so I just can't take the risk of breaking something again.

I'll let you know when I've sorted this mystery 😀

No, that should be the tail light. The diagram from the manual which you posted on your other thread is actually spot on. Tail lamp is number 4 on the diagram. 

The key difference is that diagram shows a number 3 rear fog light which your car being UK spec doesn't have on the passenger side. Instead your car appears to have a round silver blank in position 3, same as the lamp cluster on eBay.

IMG_20210617_200621500.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, furtula said:

Brake light should be dual filament, but one bulb.

One is tail light, other lights up when you break.

Bulb holder should turn for 1/4 of a turn, after that it can be taken out.

It was dual filament on the pre-facelift I think, but looks like the facelift has separate single filament bulbs for each?

6 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

It was dual filament on the pre-facelift I think, but looks like the facelift has separate single filament bulbs for each?

Correct, w5w for tail light N4 and w16w bulbs for the brake lights N1 on the diagram above. 

• Like 1

It sorted !!   😀😀

Sorry guys You were right !

I was Wrong

Halfords did it in 2 minutes , just put your hand inside the boot, as with most cars.

Cheers

• Like 1