Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2 questions

scar

Hi all, My wife has the latest version of the Yaris. The information I seek is for the previous version 2014-2017. I may have that wrong but it’s the previous version Hybrid.

My daughter is thinking of changing her 2012 Aygo to a hybrid Yaris so that’s the reason for the query. A baby arrives in early 2022 and the need for space and more safety features are major requirements.

Has the previous generation Yaris suffered flat 12v batteries the same as the latest model ? At present she does around 6000 miles a year all local short distance.

I realise that the engine, and hybrid system is different. The 12v Battery may even be in the engine bay. Don’t know.

The second question is a Yaris v Auris one, if you had to pick buying one which one ? I believe the Auris hybrid was the 1.8 system.

Your comments, tips and suggestions will be appreciated in her making her mind up.

Thankyou 

The Battery is an AGM type and lives under the back seat, like any car a Battery can fail at any time average life is 7-10 year (AGM is a deep cycle type), the Yaris and Auris are both NCAP 5 star rated (Aygo is only 3 star)

The Yaris and Auris hybrid is £0 VED up to 4/2017  (its worth double checking tho)

Not sure if the Yaris has a big enough boot for a push chair plus all the rest of the baby stuff

the Auris needs a cat lock fitted if it hasn't got one (some insurers will not cover cat theft) - check that it has the OEM cat if you can

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had a 2016 reg Yaris Hybrid for the last 3 years and do less than 5000 miles per year, mainly less than 10 mile journeys.  I have had no problem with the 12 volt Battery at all. I do keep a booster in the glove box as insurance but have never needed to use it.

The boot is not very big, I think you might struggle with the push chair.

Thanks, keep them coming please.

1 point that has been identified which I didn’t give enough thought about was boot space and baby buggy.

Auris touring ? Then it has room for expansion, or is that too big ? Buggy, baby bag and a weeks worth of shopping is what you need to fit otherwise you're look at a roof box

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, flash22 said:

Auris touring ? Then it has room for expansion, or is that too big ? Buggy, baby bag and a weeks worth of shopping is what you need to fit otherwise you're look at a roof box

Hi, a rethink is necessary on vehicle selection. It’s many years since I carried baby seats and prams. I agree that the Yaris boot space in a limiting factor. Moving up the model range I didn’t realise that the Auris was such a target for catalyst thief’s. My daughter lives in the Stockport are but is paying handsomely for her car insurance. Big rise when she left home, another factor to be looked at.
Size wise the Prius and Auris aren’t much different. When she’s back in the first week of July we can chat it over. 
Baby is due last week in December so plenty time.

thanks 👍

• Like 1

I have a 2015 Auris TS (estate)

Just myself and no kids. Looked at the hatch version and so cramped with low rear headroom. Boot small. Always had big estate cars. Volvo 240 and current 940.

Glad I bought the TS as more rear leg room, more space. I would call it a mid size estate. It's easy to drive and park and does not feel big to me.

As was mentioned Pre April 2017, free road tax. Cat theft is a big issue. I have an eBay bought cat plate, had some 16mm steel bars welded to it and a local garage charged £15 to fit it. Total cost around £70. 15 months on so far so good. I have also removed the hybrid badges from the car and try not to leave it too long when shopping etc.

Go for the one with the Toyota Safety Sense, believe Late 2015 facelift. Reduces insurance and good safety add on.

James.👍

1 hour ago, scar said:

Hi, a rethink is necessary on vehicle selection. It’s many years since I carried baby seats and prams. I agree that the Yaris boot space in a limiting factor. Moving up the model range I didn’t realise that the Auris was such a target for catalyst thief’s. My daughter lives in the Stockport are but is paying handsomely for her car insurance. Big rise when she left home, another factor to be looked at.
Size wise the Prius and Auris aren’t much different. When she’s back in the first week of July we can chat it over. 
Baby is due last week in December so plenty time.

thanks 👍

The Prius is a larger car then the Auris, the new Corolla TS (estate) is the same wheelbase as the Prius, the new Corolla hatch is shorter, probably same as Auris.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s thread closed. She is going for a VW T-Roc. Her choice.

thanks for those that have contributed.

I wish her luck with the VW. They aren't one of the most reliable vehicles available.

That’s my thought, hopefully a bit pushing in the right direction might get a result.

As a balanced view on reliability, my wife’s 10 months old Yaris has had 3 hybrid faults. The diagnosis of the garage was inconclusive and we cannot simulate the fault.

on delivery the drivers door need a hearty shove for it to close. Why wasn’t that spotted on the pre delivery inspection ?

So 4 faults in 10 months on a new car. Is the VW t-roc going to be any better or worse. 😏

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links