Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recent deliveries and the MyT app

FiestaRed

A question for anyone who has taken delivery of a new car recently and were you able to track the build through the app? 

I ordered a new Corolla TS at the start of the week and was initially told the dealership would let me have a chassis number later the same day. Nothing arrived so I contacted the dealership again and got someone else who said it's not the dealership but Toyota who send a notification to the MyT app. Still nothing has arrived either from the dealership or through the app. Just wondering if anyone on TOC knows what actually happens and what I should expect?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can only speak from my experience. I ordered my Corolla in February & didn’t get any notification of build commencement until 2 weeks before it was delivered at the end of April. However, once things started to move they moved rapidly. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Paul, really appreciated.

The reason I asked was because the salesman who took my order said he would send me a chassis number the same afternoon. When this didn't happen, I phoned the dealership and a different salesman told me that Toyota would inform me and it might take two or three days. They have passed and being new to Toyota I wasn't sure at all what was likely to happen.

I didn't track it through the app, but did via the My Toyota bit of the website - I heavily suspect it is mostly fantasy :laugh: Maybe about as accurate as the progress meter Pizza Hut use when you order online (Assuming that is still a thing; Haven't had a pizza in ages...!)

• Like 1

Did your dealer take the email address yo used to setup MyT ?

As this is required, they should input your email along with the vehicles initial order, once this done you will get an email from Toyota thanking you for your purchase and either inviting you to create a MyT account or if you already have an account, linking you to your new build.

As for giving a chassis number on the day of order, they could only do this if the car your ordered was already built and in stock at the depot otherwise a chassis number will only become available once the build has started.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Lee, really appreciate the help. The dealer did take my email address but I haven't so far received anything from them or Toyota.

The reason I was asking is that in August of last year I ordered a new Vauxhall Astra ST and as the sales people at the dealership all appear live in the Land Of Makebelieve, the three month delivery took over nine months. During that time the car underwent three 'facelifts' that resulted in a number of main items being downgraded. This has led me to the Toyota's doors.

I used the MyT app to track my RAV4 and it was pretty accurate.  I also used the online account to monitor the movement, it’s a little clunky but better than nothing.  Mine was built in Japan and did an interesting loop from Bristol to Derbyshire before heading to my dealer. Once at the dealer I was able to track the cars movements and could see it had made a visit to a local fuel station and when I picked up the car the tank was full.  It could be better but it’s OK.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ernieb said:

I used the MyT app to track my RAV4 and it was pretty accurate.  I also used the online account to monitor the movement, it’s a little clunky but better than nothing.  Mine was built in Japan and did an interesting loop from Bristol to Derbyshire before heading to my dealer. Once at the dealer I was able to track the cars movements and could see it had made a visit to a local fuel station and when I picked up the car the tank was full.  It could be better but it’s OK.

Thanks for that Ernie. How long after placing your order did you get any form of confirmation or entries in the MyT apps please?

@FiestaRed, I set up a MyToyota account on line after receiving an email invitation and also downloaded the app (iPad and Android Samsung phone) and used the same log in details. I got confirmation emails and an update email showing the order had been placed 5 days later.  At each stage I got an email detailing that a progress stage had been achieved and this corresponded to the app and web.

I’ve attached some images, hope it helps.

9B0CB57A-BD0F-4D9F-94E3-882A4D476CBF.jpeg

0C1EADE5-2157-4393-A4D9-5FCB198B87CF.png

996BFB42-F717-4495-9135-B23D784B5379.png

1FA4903E-E19C-4396-983D-9561006D4EB6.png

Thanks for that Ernie, that's brilliant, thank you. What great information.
I've downloaded the app and signed up online too but I still haven't had anything from either the dealer or Toyota.

Maybe give the dealer a nudge, tell them what you’re doing and that if they need to link the account to your order to get it done PDQ. Hope if gets sorted for you.

• Like 1

By way of an update, I've had the following information from the dealership a short while ago: 

'Due to the car being a new model, the system has queued orders until tomorrow, so we will be able to get you the chassis number by Friday'.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

1 hour ago, FiestaRed said:

By way of an update, I've had the following information from the dealership a short while ago: 

'Due to the car being a new model, the system has queued orders until tomorrow, so we will be able to get you the chassis number by Friday'.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

Sounds more like we have hit our quarterly target and will actually order your car tomorrow so it counts in quarter 3 instead 

• Like 2

Oooh bit of insider insight there? :wink:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

Sounds more like we have hit our quarterly target and will actually order your car tomorrow so it counts in quarter 3 instead 

Thanks for the information Lee. You're more than likely spot on. I really wish dealerships would be up front with customers instead of creating fairy stories.

That is so true and generally all dealer brands are all the same.  I've had the odd occasion when I've been updated truthfully but that has been when I've been able to access the back staff rather than the sales team.

• Like 1

I was told so many 'fairy stories' by my last dealership, it's really made me wary of any sales people. Guess I have to give Toyota the chance to prove me wrong.

@FiestaRed, agreed with your comment it does sometimes feel like you need to count your fingers after you’ve shaken there hand!😊

• Like 1

Just as an update, I have been promised the chassis number for my new Corolla on three occasions now and the dealer has still not managed to get one. All I want to do is enter the number and follow the build and delivery stages.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much of a dealer in that he gives facts instead of fairy stories.

I got the following email from the dealer 'I've checked the system this morning and the chassis isn't yet showing next to your order'. I placed my order on the 21st of June and I can't understand why it takes so long to get a chassis number. 

I know not the same maker but when I ordered my Focus in 2019 the dealer never got the chassis number until about a week before delivery.

• Like 1

I can remember the time before computers were around, if you ordered a new car you just waited until the dealer phoned (on a land line) or posted a letter (no emails) and said you could collect in 5 days time.  Everything was so simple then. 😀

• Like 2

Maybe it would be better if dealerships simply told you the truth instead of giving you loads of fairy stories. I know it would for me. 

7 hours ago, FiestaRed said:

I got the following email from the dealer 'I've checked the system this morning and the chassis isn't yet showing next to your order'. I placed my order on the 21st of June and I can't understand why it takes so long to get a chassis number. 

You won't get a chassis number until the build is underway, and you don't need one its the dealers responsibility to link your order to your MyT account.

If they have still failed to do so then I suggest a compliant to the dealer principle and customer relations

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devon Aygo said:

If they have still failed to do so then I suggest a compliant to the dealer principle and customer relations

Thanks for the help Lee, really appreciated.
As the salesperson I placed the order with has gone on holiday, it is the dealership's GM that's being looking after my order. When you mention 'customer relations' do you mean at Toyota UK?