Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Yaris 2020 - How to auto lock doors on start


CesarD
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello people.

I have a Yaris Style 2020 that bought brand new a few months ago and I would like to know if there's some way to make it auto lock the doors when I start its engine or when I start driving.

I have found this link about it: https://www.toyaris4.com/toyota_yaris_auto_lock_unlock_function-69.html but it points out that it seems to be for some specific model (XP210(2020-2021)) that I'm not quite sure matches mine.

According to my car's documentation, my model should be something like this: XPA1F(EU,M) / MXPH11(H) / MXPH11L-BHXSBW(2B).

So, should the methods described in that link work for my car? If not, would you know if it's possible and what method should enable mine to accomplish this?

Thanks!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


16 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The fourth generation Yaris is the XP210.

Then it should be mine, right? I tried the sequence explained in the link but it didn't work...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know where you are resident but the clue to this functionality is in the default setting of 3 in the table. The only country where this is a legal requirement (AFAIK) is in the U.S.A. and it is the same for all cars over there. That site looks like an American site also. (another clue is the spelling of tyre as "tire" which is also a US spelling)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CPN said:

I don't know where you are resident but the clue to this functionality is in the default setting of 3 in the table. The only country where this is a legal requirement (AFAIK) is in the U.S.A. and it is the same for all cars over there. That site looks like an American site also. (another clue is the spelling of tyre as "tire" which is also a US spelling)

I'm in Spain. So perhaps here in Europe this feature is not available, is that what you mean?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't see anything in the manual for the Mk4 about being able to set auto-lock doors, but it might be a dealer-only setting, like opening/closing the windows with the remote. Might be worth asking your dealer if its's something they can set.

Let us know if you have any success; I wouldn't mind being able to set that!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I don't see anything in the manual for the Mk4 about being able to set auto-lock doors, but it might be a dealer-only setting, like opening/closing the windows with the remote. Might be worth asking your dealer if its's something they can set.

Let us know if you have any success; I wouldn't mind being able to set that!

Well I took it yesterday to do some update to the ECU software because of some recall that occurred here in Spain (something about the parking break that could potentially fail at some scenarios), so I asked the guys there in the shop if they could also enable the windows with the remote and such stuff, which they did (in fact, I saw them flipping all the switches on the computer to enable most things that were disabled by default), but they weren't quite sure about the doors auto-lock and they said that most likely my model didn't support it. But then I found the manual that I showed in the first post of this thread and thought that perhaps there was also another extra configuration to change this from its default behavior 😜 I guessed perhaps someone here could enlighten me, hehe 😄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CesarD said:

I'm in Spain. So perhaps here in Europe this feature is not available, is that what you mean?

That's exactly what I mean.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

It looks like Toyotas, other than USA Toyotas, commonly don't have "speed lock", i.e. the doors don't lock automatically when say 8mph/12kmh is reached from a "cold" start.

I've been looking around some French forums and I've found references to "OBD speed lock" boxes/adaptors.

Has anybody had success with these ?

 

Edited by Stopeter44
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

It looks like Toyotas, other than USA Toyotas, commonly don't have "speed lock",

It's very much a US idea and 'thing' because car-jacking is relatively common there. Over here we don't see much of that, so most people don't feel the need for it.

On the odd car I've had with it I've always turned it off, so some nice person can maybe pull me out of the wreck. (I know some are supposed to unlock on an impact, but I feel the less features my life depends on the better 🙂 )

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MikeSh said:

On the odd car I've had with it I've always turned it off, so some nice person can maybe pull me out of the wreck. (I know some are supposed to unlock on an impact, but I feel the less features my life depends on the better 🙂 )

In big cities in France, grabbing handbags, etc. from seats is pretty common, and Car-jacking is not unheard of. To me those are good reasons to have auto lock.

As for you being in such a wreck that you can't get out by yourself, locked doors or no locked doors, I don't hold much hope that the doors would be able to open. The rescue crew will need massive cutters to get you out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

It's very much a US idea and 'thing' because car-jacking is relatively common there. Over here we don't see much of that, so most people don't feel the need for it.

On the odd car I've had with it I've always turned it off, so some nice person can maybe pull me out of the wreck. (I know some are supposed to unlock on an impact, but I feel the less features my life depends on the better 🙂 )

If the airbag triggers it will unlock all doors, if you're involved in an incident that bad they will open it up like a tin can, Ford had an issue with the late 90's ford rangers the tea leafs found if you hit the ford Badge with an inflatable hammer it would pop the doors open but not trigger the airbag

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

It looks like Toyotas, other than USA Toyotas, commonly don't have "speed lock", i.e. the doors don't lock automatically when say 8mph/12kmh is reached from a "cold" start.

The Avensis (at least T27, can't remember about T25) does & it's a user setting.

Having said that, part of my ingrained routine upon entering/sitting in the car is to flick the door lock switch before I have even started it.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

If the airbag triggers it will unlock all doors

Should unlock the doors.

And Takata airbags shouldn't kill people ... I'm afraid I don't have 100% faith in car manufacturers and their suppliers.

So if I'm driving through a bad part of town I'll choose to lock the doors. The rest of the time they stay accessible - I don't need a nanny to lock them every time I drive away from my average suburban house to go to my average supermarket, etc.

It's just my way of working - I try and avoid lifts too if it's only a couple of floors and I don't have luggage (or the stairs are so well hidden I can't find them 😠 ). Things tend to fail just when it's most inconvenient (ie. when you are using them 🙃 ).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2021 at 1:54 AM, CPN said:

I don't know where you are resident but the clue to this functionality is in the default setting of 3 in the table. The only country where this is a legal requirement (AFAIK) is in the U.S.A. and it is the same for all cars over there. That site looks like an American site also. (another clue is the spelling of tyre as "tire" which is also a US spelling)

But Yaris sold in USA is different from European one.  It's a rebadged Mazda 2 so I expect that also the computer that controls doors lock/unlock and all entertainment comes from Mazda and not from Toyota.

So I expect that also the service menus and all OBD configurable options are Mazda ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, RickyC said:

But Yaris sold in USA is different from European one.  It's a rebadged Mazda 2

Indeed, and I knew that... (and the Prius C sold in the States is the same as a European Yaris!)

7 minutes ago, RickyC said:

so I expect that also the computer that controls doors lock/unlock and all entertainment comes from Mazda and not from Toyota.

Do the service menu and all OBD configurable options are Mazda ones. 

(I am assuming you meant to say "So" and not "Do"(?)) Probably, but how is that relevant to what I was saying?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was a typo.  A part of the sentence was lost so I had corrected it.  

Probably you read it before I posted the correction.

In any case I think that the settings CesarD found on this USA site probably refer to the menu of Mazda system so can't be applied to an European Yaris that uses a totally different hardware and firmware

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

part of my ingrained routine upon entering/sitting in the car is to flick the door lock switch before I have even started it.

This is what I've ended up getting used to since I posted this... But I normally do it once I buckled up and turned it on.

I live in Madrid now and never had any issue here, but before I lived in Argentina and there even cars from the 90's had the auto-lock because it's not safe to go around unlocked with the existing criminality rate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CesarD said:

This is what I've ended up getting used to since I posted this... But I normally do it once I buckled up and turned it on.

It's what I will do, unless I can find a technological solution. I seem to recall, over the years, some rental cars not having the Auto lock feature. It's nice to see people here from all over. I was a bit worried when I first signed up, that there would be few non-UK resident members.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

It's nice to see people here from all over.

It's annoying and confusing that the location in the panel at left appears to accept only UK/Eire counties or "Them foreigners".

It would save some confusion at times if we had a more sensible granularity of location instead - like 'country'.

Edited by MikeSh
Added Eire
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's partly because TOC has regional forums (Or did??) - There are/were separate forums for I think the USA and Australia, but far fewer people visited them so I'm not sure if they still exist?? (I can't even remember how to get at them now it's been so long...!)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can’t understand why members who do reside in the Uk don’t show that along with forum name etc. County would be nice, why?, so advice. Could be more specific for their area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been on-line since the modem days and it was standard form to keep Real Life separated as much as possible from On-Line back then, and I still firmly believe that is what people should do by default.

We've all seen how dangerous the open flow of personal information in social media can be, esp. in this age of things like doxxing and identity theft, so I figure why make it easier for robots to scrape my personal data?

The car details are relevant to this forum so I'll fill that, but the rest is not; That info only gets out if it becomes relevant or if there's a real-life meet! (Sadly TOC meets at car shows hasn't been a thing for over a decade!)

I'm not actually sure when the Location field became mandatory in this forum - When I first joined it was still optional!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership