Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D shutting down

Jack Mallon

I have imported a rav 4 D4D into Canada. Had fuel problems, filter cleaned by mechanic, worked fine for awhile. Next had ongoing issues with the engine bogging down, mechanic diagnosed faulty vacuum valves on fuel pump. Replaced those and all good for several weeks. Twice now the engine has shut itself off just after startup. Runs for a few seconds, then stops. Restarts ok, and runs fine, very smooth, good fuel economy. Any ideas?

It might be worn injectors spraying too much fuel in to the piston and causing it to shut down. 

Have you tried to scan for codes becuase the ECU usaully notes when there is a engine problem.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering if it was a common issue. My first diesel. Car runs great otherwise. I haven't had a scan done as yet. I will book it in next week.

• 3 weeks later...

So took it to my mechanic who says that since it is a very intermittent problem, and since the check engine light does not come on, scanning it is a waste of my money. Anyone else have any suggestions. It always happens when the engine is warm, and doesn't seem to matter if it is dry or wet. It does take a couple of extra cranks of starter to get it running again once it shuts off, but only an extra second or two. Is he correct that if check engine light doesn't come on a scan won't reveal anything?

Possibly, possibly not. You can buy a VCI lead for $20 and do the scan yourself on a Windows PC, it will reveal many things that do not trigger a CEL.

My first guess would be a slight air leak at the fuel filter assembly. My second guess is that one of your glowplugs is not working. 

I think if it was glow plugs you'd get a code eg Glow Plug Circuit A but could be wrong. Also it would, in my opinion, be odd to be glow plugs because the OP says it happens when warm, but again could be wrong!

I am something of a scratched record but now that you have mentioned it's an issue when the car is warm and that starting is a little hesitant you'd probably be as well to follow some of the advice for hot start issues and clean the earth connectors. I also saw someone had some improvement cleaning the connector on the starter too. It's free and easy and electrical faults can manifest themselves in odd ways.

One other thing you could try is if you can fairly accurately anticipate when it's going to have a problem try giving thew fuel primer a pump or two and see if that seems to help.

Intermittent faults are the worst, I hope you figure it out!

Thanks all, lots to work on. Much appreciated. I'll let you know how I make out.

• 3 months later...

Mystery was solved re my Rav4 shutting off intermittently. It was a broken key, the plastic is old and brittle and key wasn't holding little electronic unit in place securely. It has now happened to my back up key. Since the electronic units are not faulty, is it possible to replace the rest of the key and use the original electronic unit? Anyone have any experience with this? Just get another key cut and use electronic unit from old one? Would avoid having to have keys programmed I would think.

On 6/27/2021 at 3:22 PM, Jack Mallon said:

I have imported a rav 4 D4D into Canada. Had fuel problems, filter cleaned by mechanic, worked fine for awhile. Next had ongoing issues with the engine bogging down, mechanic diagnosed faulty vacuum valves on fuel pump. Replaced those and all good for several weeks. Twice now the engine has shut itself off just after startup. Runs for a few seconds, then stops. Restarts ok, and runs fine, very smooth, good fuel economy. Any ideas?

check with feeding valve on the pump - it is electrically controlled. ti sometimes plays with driver after repair )))

in fact it is normally closed valve - means hen power is OFF - no fuel is sucted and wise. when coil is near to be burnt out - it start to play

I do not consider an error in the control circuit (it is afterwards)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links