Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Gen 3 2010 model

propnut

Hello all

I am thinking of buying a very low mileage 2010 Prius Gen 3 with the 1.8VVT engine. I have read quite a few reports of high oil consumption, blocked EGR valves and blown head gaskets but all the reports seem to be from the USA. Does anyone know if these same issues plagued the UK models and if there is anything else I should be aware of ?

Thanks

I bought an early 2010 model with 105,000 miles on it, for the two years before I bought it had been used as a taxi (50,000 miles) and it was ok, no oil burning problems.  A friend liking mine, bought a 2010 model and it proved to be an oil burner. Good job he bought from a Toyota dealer with a warranty, he got the problem sorted under the warranty.

I do think it helps if the engine oil and filter are changed at the recommended times with quality oil/filter ie Toyota brand. Yes I know Toyota don’t have an oil refinery etc but they won’t put rubbish in or the cheapest at the local shop. At least it should be the same specification as they quote.

• Like 1

I had a 2010 Gen3 from 2013-16, sold with 52k on the clock so obviously no mechanical or oil usage problems etc. at that mileage, however it did have rather a lot of annoying (and incurable) squeaks and rattles within the cabin area.....

• Like 1

Can only share my own anecdotal experience, but I had a 2009 Gen 3, one of the first ones. Had  about 11,000 miles when I bought it, around 80,000 when I traded it in. It never used a drop of oil, and to my recollection the only fault it ever had was a sticking rear brake calliper. I followed the Prius with a 2013 Auris hybrid which I understand has the same engine, all that had in 4 years was a ball joint replacement. Always had them both dealer serviced on schedule. So based on my experience I'd say that a low mileage Gen 3 is a pretty safe buy. Safe enough that I then bought a Gen 4 which I still have, and my sister is taking delivery of her 18 plate Yaris hybrid today on my recommendation.

• Like 1

I only heard of one early gen 3 with the EGR valve problem (a former member of this group who used it as a taxi).  From what I can recall, he lived in an area where he did almost all town work in heavily congested traffic.  IIRC he had a dispute with Toyota over the cost as for some reason it was not covered by the warranty.  He also suggested a combination of cheapo supermarket petrol and the heavy traffic were to blame.

Some pre 2012 face-lift Gen 3s also seemed to have a problem with Inverters frying, but a recall was done which fixed the problem.

I would think by now, either problem would have been fixed in any such car still on the road.  I've used mostly Tesco petrol in my Hybrids for well over 12 years with no problems, but I do enough long journeys to keep the pipes clean.

Most Gen 3 Prius were sold with 17" wheels with low profile tyres (only the basic T3 (which was the Gen 3 model I had) had 15" wheels with more rubber and air between the rim and the road.  A lot of people with 17" wheels reported more rattles and squeaks presumably caused by the harsher ride resulting from the wheel/tyre combination, and certainly T3 owners (including me) didn't seem to report this problem.

• Like 2

The catalytic converter issue is the biggest problem that any new owner should worry about, the head gasket or egr, oil consumption,  water pumps or anything else is different for the difference examples. 

• Like 1

Do you mean from the perspective of it being stolen or it failing ?

43 minutes ago, propnut said:

Do you mean from the perspective of it being stolen or it failing ?

Been stolen, these cars if properly maintained and not trashed most likely nothing will fail in a very long time and miles, probably the longest of all cars.

5 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Been stolen, these cars if properly maintained and not trashed most likely nothing will fail in a very long time and miles, probably the longest of all cars.

Yes I went and took one of the two I am looking at for a drive yesterday and the salesman said they don't leave Prius's on the forecourt at night for that very reason. Anyway It drove really nicely but all the roads around there were 30/40MPH limits so I could really get it up to speed. There were no obvious oil leaks and the hybrid drive seemed to work fine. The CVT picked up ok, no speed demon but that's not my reason for looking. The cut in was smooth unless I floored it whereupon there was a mild hesitation but nothing major. Overall a nice car. I have driven a few as rental when I have been in the US but they were the older 1.5 models whereas this one was a 1.8.

14 minutes ago, propnut said:

Yes I went and took one of the two I am looking at for a drive yesterday and the salesman said they don't leave Prius's on the forecourt at night for that very reason. Anyway It drove really nicely but all the roads around there were 30/40MPH limits so I could really get it up to speed. There were no obvious oil leaks and the hybrid drive seemed to work fine. The CVT picked up ok, no speed demon but that's not my reason for looking. The cut in was smooth unless I floored it whereupon there was a mild hesitation but nothing major. Overall a nice car. I have driven a few as rental when I have been in the US but they were the older 1.5 models whereas this one was a 1.8.

Yes the gen 3 hybrid drivetrain is much more engaging to drive, you also have power mode which makes throttle response faster and easier to climb hills or fast driving on motorways. I recommend to drive in normal mode though for best balance between efficiency and driving experience. Good to look under the car if any cat locks been installed and if the car has the original catalytic converter and exhaust system in general, best to stick with all original. Good service record and check the oil dipstick for been clean, low oil level and dirty deep stick with something like between grease and oil dark brownish on the stick can show an oil burner and that the car has its service schedules neglected. You can open the oil filler cap and look for the same dirty stuff on the metal engine internals. This is how should look inside when oil been regularly changed. Pictures for reference from my car. 
Good luck 

41797D46-5BDA-4806-BDD0-5A7F5486ABEB.jpeg

E0317A20-9DC3-4097-B6BA-E9407DE8310B.jpeg

• Like 1

I had a 2009 gen3 from new and did 134,000 miles over 7 years (not as a taxi). No oil burning, no egr issues, even had the same 12V Battery. Only issue was a dead inverter after 6 years.  Toyota replaced with a new one under extended warranty.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 6:01 PM, propnut said:

There were no obvious oil leaks and the hybrid drive seemed to work fine.

They're not known to leak oil, it's generally oil consumption caused by the piston rings. Various Toyota engines are prone to this with high mileage, and it's not something I'd worry too much about unless the oil consumption was substantial. Inspecting and cleaning the EGR valve and cooler would be a good thing to do if it's over 100k miles or so - it is uncommon but if it's blocked it can lead to head gasket failure.

Thanks but actually I have just bought a Gen 2 model. I really just want to test the water with Hybrids so went really cheap. Seems to drive ok for a 15 year old car, has 72K on the clock which from what I have read seems to be nothing for these cars and being a Gen 2 has NiMH batteries as opposed to LiON so despite having lower amp output generally last longer than Lithium batteries. Well that's my theory anyway based on many years of being a Radio Control aircraft enthusiast. We have been using both type of batteries for years in the hobby and this has shown to be the experience of most modellers.

One thing to watch out for on Gen 2 Prius, especially early Gen 2s (2004-2006), is broken rear suspension springs.  They seem to fail quite frequently, but there's no indication when driving.  Most people find out at MOT time.

Other than that, they're pretty reliable.

I had a Gen 1 Prius, which had the 1.5 litre engine like the Gen 2, for 9 years and it had done 163,000 miles when I sold it.  It still ran like new.  After 100,000 miles, oil consumption had started to increase.  Towards the end of my ownership, the level had dropped to MIN about 7,000 miles after a service, and adding 1 litre of oil kept it above MIN for the 3,000 miles to the next service.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, propnut said:

Thanks but actually I have just bought a Gen 2 model. I really just want to test the water with Hybrids so went really cheap. Seems to drive ok for a 15 year old car, has 72K on the clock which from what I have read seems to be nothing for these cars and being a Gen 2 has NiMH batteries as opposed to LiON so despite having lower amp output generally last longer than Lithium batteries. Well that's my theory anyway based on many years of being a Radio Control aircraft enthusiast. We have been using both type of batteries for years in the hobby and this has shown to be the experience of most modellers.

Test the water with hybrids - that’s what I was doing when bought the Auris hybrid 60 plate that the wife now has. Loved it so much 7 months later I bought Gen3 59 plate Prius. Loved that so much I bought Gen4 66 plate Prius, still have it after 3 years, it’s now coming up 5 year old and I looove it.  I wonder if you will do something similar. If you can afford to, go straight for the Gen4 from you Gen2.

Re Battery life. I not read of anyone having to swop out a whole Battery. No doubt someone has but it must be rare. The Gen3 and Gen4 have individual cells that can be stopped out. A whole new Battery for a 3 or 4 can now be bought for around £1300 new from Toyota. Indeed, Toyota have so much faith in their big batteries you can have a hybrid battery health check done annually and Toyota will add another year warranty up to 15 years. Cost of health check is free if car is serviced by a Toyota dealer or £45 if serviced elsewhere.

The 1.8 engine they put in g3/Gen4 is the same as in the Auris hybrid and Corolla 1.8 version.

Enjoy your Prius, when do you get it?

2 hours ago, propnut said:

being a Gen 2 has NiMH batteries as opposed to LiON...

Gen 3 has a Ni-MH traction Battery as well, only the Plug-in version is Li-ion. My Plug-in is coming up to 9 years old and the Battery still seems good, but it's hard to tell how well it will last as the oldest are from 2012.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, QuantumFireball said:

Gen 3 has a Ni-MH traction battery as well, only the Plug-in version is Li-ion. My Plug-in is coming up to 9 years old and the battery still seems good, but it's hard to tell how well it will last as the oldest are from 2012.

It you could still take advantage of the hybrid health check and go up to 15 year warranty.

Thanks for the advice and feedback chaps. It is being delivered on Friday. Not to worried about springs. I have changed plenty, front and rear in my time.

👍

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

2010 Gen 3 Prius with 120k on the clock, never used oil between services. However goes in next week for it's next service, so....😚

2 hours ago, valmiki said:

2010 Gen 3 Prius with 120k on the clock, never used oil between services. However goes in next week for it's next service, so....😚

Has it used any oil since the last service?

24 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Has it used any oil since the last service?

Not a drop, I keep a close eye on it. The only major cost I've had so far is the rear driver side brake callipers had to be replaced last year. Also the year before the exhaust heat shield came loose (enough to fail the MOT under the new regime) and was replaced.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links