Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Cover or no Engine Cover?

Viffergb

Hi,

We've a Corolla 'Touring Sports Design 2.0' model that has just had its first service.  Although I'm not 100% certain, I believe that on the few occasions I opened the bonnet in the year leading up to its service, there was a plastic engine cover fitted to the top of the engine.

Just over a week after the vehicle was returned from having its service, I again opened the bonnet just to check on levels as we had completed some long motorway journeys during the week.  To my surprise, I could see the top of the engine in all its glory, hence no engine cover.  On contacting the garage and asking if it should have a cover, I was advised it didn't.

In order to prove categorically whether it should have one or not, and possibly taking the matter further if it should, could anyone on here please confirm if it does indeed have a cover fitted, please?

Our model is the 'Touring Sport Design 2.0L'

Many thanks.

Graham

I have the same model (although a 2021 model year) and mine doesn’t have an engine cover - I don’t believe the 2.0 engine has one (apart from the Lexus derivative). 

from what I’ve seen, none of the 2.0 Corollas come with one. 

as a separate note, I do wonder if the 2.5 RAV4 engine cover will fit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks Graeme for the confirmation.  I was obviously imagining that it should have one 😀.  Must admit, I don't open the bonnet that often....certainly not over the past 12 months for obvious reasons 😉.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

• Like 2

I also have Touring Sports 2L,it has no plastic engine cover, I know it looks a bit messy but that's how it is!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even 1.8 Corolla doesn’t have one, where Prius has both engine cover and bonnet sound proof lining. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mk4 Yaris, also has no engine cover!

Not too surprised as that engine bay is absolutely rammed! :laugh:

I get why they normally put them on, because it does look quite busy in there with all the pipes and such, but I always felt it was a bit of a shame to hide the complexities of the engine behind a cheap plastic cover, and it's just another thing you have to take off to get at the engine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I get why they normally put them on, because it does look quite busy in there with all the pipes and such, but I always felt it was a bit of a shame to hide the complexities of the engine behind a cheap plastic cover, and it's just another thing you have to take off to get at the engine!

Good point 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Mk4 Yaris, also has no engine cover!

Not too surprised as that engine bay is absolutely rammed! :laugh:

I don’t think the cover looks cheap, and as for removal it takes no longer then 5 seconds, on my Prius is just push on to 3 pegs.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on the car; The one on my old Mk2 looked friggin' awful - It was so tatty and faded! The heat cycling and dirt were not kind to that engine cover, and getting it to go back in was a pain in the proverbial because the plastic pegs were so shagged after being pushed in and out so much (It was an 11 year old car by the time I got shot of it to be fair!).

The best engine cover on a car I owned was the turbo intercooler on my Mk1 D4D! Looked cool, was robust, and served an actual function! :laugh:

Joking aside, I tend to find the covers in german cars are made out of higher quality material and look nicer, but they do tend to throw a lot more money at look and feel, whereas I much prefer Toyota's way - I'd rather they skimp on the fancy touchy feely plastics, and spend that money on making the bits that matter like, say, the engine, more reliable and robust!!

Is a personal, choice I guess, but they can feel free to be rubbing and squeezing their soft-touch plastics while they are broken down on the side of the road; I much prefer hooning past with my scratchy hard plastics but bullet-proof engine thanks :laugh:

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I just financed a corolla cross xle 22 when I opened the hood, I the engine without any cover as well as open caves at the end of both fender. I got so upset and disappointed. Toyota manufacturing companies are not only raising prices, but also bring their products quickly to low. Is Toyota dying away!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Samiasad said:

I just financed a corolla cross xle 22 when I opened the hood, I the engine without any cover as well as open caves at the end of both fender. I got so upset and disappointed. Toyota manufacturing companies are not only raising prices, but also bring their products quickly to low. Is Toyota dying away!!!

Most car manufacturers are doing it. They are saying weight savings, I think indeed, weight savings of their pockets mainly. 😂👌