Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 6 speed D4D Yaris clutch and or gearbox issues

Marcusthehat

Our daughters car, owned from new, now got about 150,000 miles on, and serviced by an indy this past few years.

Anyway last night she found difficulties getting it into gear.

I tried it myself and it appeared the clutch was not disengaging, so after some internet homework I bled the slave cylinder, and "woopee-doop" was all pleased to see bubbles and gunk coming out, I kept going until the fluid was clear, but it was then still difficult to get into gear/the clutch was still dragging, so essentially no improvment after bleeding.

The resovoir was still full before I started, so not losing fluid, or no leaks, and I kept topping  the resovoir up during the bleeding.

I will be draining and refilling the gearbox oil tomorrow anyway but felt it was more likely clutch related.

I will also bleed it some more.

What did I do wrong, or what else do I need to do?

Marcus

• 4 weeks later...

Oops

Now repaired, the clutch still looked very good/plenty of meat on still, after 150,000 miles, but 3 of the 4 concentric coil springs had failed.

Wor daughter is perhaps just a fraction quick when coming off the clutch pedal, this might have had a bearing on this failure mode I surmise?

mth.

I was about to write a response but re-read your post - So you don't mean the diaphragm spring on the clutch cover, but the little damper springs on the clutch plate??

Never seen those fail before!!

Sounds about right for the mileage if it's on its first clutch, the springs and pressure plate go weak before the clutch goes, low rpm and high torque will do that

In my defence, I think that might be the longest lasting clutch I've ever heard of on any Yaris! :laugh: