Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris poor radio reception

redrobbo

Good morning

I have a 2007 Auris with the "bee sting" aerial on the rear of the roof and the FM reception is poor , only picking up the strongest of signals.

Aerial looks in reasonable order , all connections are clean and intact. Does anyone have any insight as to what else could cause the issues ?

thanks 

I suspect the most likely cause will be the aerial assembly which also contains as far as I know a small amplifier. Moisture ingress is the problem.

• Like 1

thanks for the input , so a replacement base is required   ?

cheers 

That would be my first suspect but it is not a cast iron guarantee it will be that without further diagnostics... but it is the most likely suspect. It suffers from moisture ingress. 

Thanks for the advice ,it is a second car/work horse and rather than route through the wiring and drop roof lining  I am going to get glass a mount aerial , would you know what  type of connector is needed for radio back ?

Thanks

There is a simple fix, a ferrite bead on the aerial cable behind the radio

If you have an aftermarket "bee sting" eg. half the length of the factory one, it will not pick up the radio signal very well as you have halved the gain (effectively reducing the radio's ability to receive signals) as the amplifier is tuned to the factory aerial

• Like 1

funny you should say that , I did swap the mast on mine for one I had in the garage which was a little longer now the reception has gone from rubbish to poor !

Do you speak from experience with the ferrite bead ? 

2 hours ago, redrobbo said:

Thanks for the advice ,it is a second car/work horse and rather than route through the wiring and drop roof lining  I am going to get glass a mount aerial , would you know what  type of connector is needed for radio back ?

Thanks

You would have to look look to determine the plug type. The most common are ISO and DIN and adapters are available to convert between the two if you don't fancy fitting a new plug.

• Like 1

Too short or too long has the same effect, the length effect's the reception frequency, it is dependent on how the amp in the aerial base is tuned

The Auris does suffer from poor coax shielding, I have used ferrites in sorts of applications for many years (Radio, shortwave listening has been a hobby of mine)

https://resources.altium.com/p/how-do-ferrite-beads-work-and-how-do-you-choose-right-one

there are 2-3 connectors in the aerial, iirc there is one on the A pillar that may be worth checking

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej/toyota/auris-corolla-42429/nre150-56077/nre150r-dhfdkn-928039/antenna-17950608

• Like 1

That is an excessively  complicated setup . no wonder it gives issues !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links