Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis T3-X Cutting out almost

chana100red

Hi Guys

Calling upon your help again as I seem to get most of my fixes/resolutions from you guys and great help as always.

I have a T3-X 2004 and it almost cuts out every day to work and recently passed MOT with no emissions problem.  I cannot come to terms with how the car has deteriorated in a few months.

For the life of me I have no idea why it almost cuts out and the steering wheel starts to stiffen!  Worrying times ahead....

I don't know what to do now...

Might be useful if you could describe at bit more what is happening before, during and after it 'almost cuts out', and what the typical conditions are when it happens - driving steadily, accelerating, stationary and moving off etc.

Hi AJones

Yes of course!

It happens after 20-30 mins after driving for long periods.  I drive along as normal at low speed and almost cuts out.  I come to a stop at traffic lights and almost cuts out!

I immediately put in in neutral from stalling.  i do this everyday to work as I have no choice or a secondary car.

A few mechanics have told me to 'get rid'  but I refuse to it as I want to fix it.

17 year old car - they don’t last forever. It’s interesting a few mechanics say get rid. Repairs is a source of income for them, so to advise get rid appears to me they think it could become a money pit for you. Are you ready for that?

I have resigned to the fact that this car has major problems with minor advisories since my MOT.  These cars suppose to last for much longer but I guess I have to let go at some point!

I don't have funding to get another car so that's why I struggle to drive to work as it is....

I have exhausted every possibility and I have learned about Mod edit mechanics do not Mod edit all about cars!  A pile of Mod edit!

Yeah, trying to find a good mechanic who can diagnose problems seems needlessly difficult these days.

What have you had looked at so far?

My first hunch is an O2 or MAF sensor somewhere may be fouled. Other possibilities include a dodgy vacuum line somewhere or a fuelling problem but usually those only show up when you're giving it the beans, not at low speeds/low loads.

Hello Cyker

Thanks for coming back to me - Honestly, I was about to part-Ex my car for a 2010-2011 TR M model Avensis but lack of funds has halted me going further so will wait for 3-4 months and then get it.

I have not tried anything yet but will do something over the weekend.  I will try MAF sensor and how easy is it to clean?  It passed MOT last month and emissions were fine...

What can I do myself to rectify this problem if you have any suggestions please.

MAF is pretty easy assuming you know where it is. Just unscrew it, spray it with some electrical switch cleaner (Gently! Not right up close! It is very delicate!), let it dry then out back in and see if it helps.

But TBH you need to find a local mechanic who is experienced and can diagnose things without using The Dealer Method (i.e.  changing every component and charge to customer)

Even someone with an ODB2 diagnostic unit that can check e.g. fuel pressures, airflow etc to try and track down the problem...

Sure will order some electrical cleaner later today.  I will try that at least as the symptoms of the issue are pointing towards the MAF Air flow sensor.  There could be and I hope NOT other underlying issues related to stalling.  As I am keeping the car for an extra 2-3 months until i get another one,  I prefer not to spend anything on this car.

It is definitely time for it to go.  Not to mention Air Con pipes corroded too and oil leak.  I could spend 500-600 on this car easily and get all this rectified but it is far too gone!

Anyway, lets see if the MAF fixes my stalling issue to keep me going and then trade it in for 2010-2012-2013 model.  

cheers... 

I cleaned the MAF sensor and fixed the problem.  I also fixed the oil leak by tighten the rocker cover with a torque wrench of 10 NM of force.

A bit of good result today after spending 2 hours repairing the faults. The car is back to normal.  Next task to tackle is the corroded/leaking air con pipe around top section.  May try and find a tutorial somewhere or on this site.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chana100red said:

I cleaned the MAF sensor and fixed the problem.  I also fixed the oil leak by tighten the rocker cover with a torque wrench of 10 NM of force.

A bit of good result today after spending 2 hours repairing the faults. The car is back to normal.  Next task to tackle is the corroded/leaking air con pipe around top section.  May try and find a tutorial somewhere or on this site.

Hi Dipak, just read your post and did suspect either an air leak in the inlet side or a dirty MAF sensor. Glad you fixed the problem. 
I want to say, I did get attached to my previous T22 Avensis, but as Joe (Catlover) says, cars don't always last forever. The coming ULEZ was one of the reasons for me to get my current T27 Tourer TR. At least you now have time to get finances in place.  

Cheers Konrad.  Everyone here has been supportive and great to share ideas and knowledge and more importantly advice from you guys!  I am looking to replace some of the air con pipes and wondering how I can do this.  My other issues are easy to fix but would love to get the air con producing cold air.  ATS investigated the cause of the problem under UV light and I saw for myself the leaks from the pipes above.  I am eager to replace some of the pipes above the system or should I replace the whole lot.

I have never done an air con pipe replacement and i know there are some schematics floating around this site.

regards