Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CHR disappointment

SunnySky

I have my C-HR 1.8 Sport since January and disappointed with the build quality. Previously had an Auris also hybrid, so used to the engine performance and consumption, which is great.

What isn’t great are the random rattles everywhere… car is 7 months old with 8000km but feels like a 10y old car with 500000km on it…

Trying to have the dealer and Toyota to fix, but while I appreciate they are random and not always there, not seeing any willingness from them in fixing this.

Bottom line is this car is poorly built as it shouldn’t have this rattles.

Build with any Toyota are common. They use Toyota Production Systems to build. The issue would be with lack of design testing due to Covid or cost saving.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2021 at 3:36 PM, Catlover said:

David, is you CHR the 1.8 or the 2.0.?

Mine is the 2 litre. Since that post I've done a post-covid trip to Hants and S Wales and I have to say it was one of the most relaxed trips I have had on M-ways and Dual carriageways that were never less than crowded and often at max capacity. I used the radar cruise mode and non-radar cruise mode whenever it was feasible. Travel times reflected long spells at the 70 limit.  Fuel averages were around the 58mpg mark although short trips between the long trips were between 62 and 77mpg. The only thing I would fault, like a member above, is the lack of space in the rear. 

• Like 1

Well done David,

it is virtually a given that owners find Toyota hybrid driving a relaxing experience. I think the CH-R is the same wheelbase as the previous two generations of Auris.  The touring sport (estate) and saloon are longer, like the Prius.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

The only thing I would fault, like a member above, is the lack of space in the rear. 

The Corolla Cross (when it arrives here) will give people the option of a roomier/more practical crossover but not perhaps as stylish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Catlover said:

I think the CH-R is the same wheelbase as the previous two generations of Auris.  The touring sport (estate) and saloon are longer, like the Prius.

The C-HR wheelbase is the same as the Corolla hatchback (2640mm) - longer than the Auris hatchback/Touring Sport (2600mm) and shorter than the Corolla Touring Sport/saloon (2700mm).

That makes the situation worse, FBs. The CHR is longer wheelbase then our Auris yet there is a reasonable rear space in the Auris. I am 6’ and OKish in the rear.

That's why I loath SUVs and Crossovers - They look so big yet somehow have less space inside and can't even go off-road any better than a normal car most of the time. Maybe that's where the Tardis gets all its extra space from - Steals it from SUVs and Crossovers! :laugh: 

They're just for looks and posing, nothing else - If you want space, better off with an estate or MPV, or even a real 4x4!

• Like 1

Auris from 2007-2012 has more space at the rear seats than Corolla saloon or TS, more head room too. , the only negative with this car specifically hybrid version is small boot. Chr I think leg room is ok but the shape of rear doors/windows and c pillars made it claustrophobic and too dark , but it was a trend back then when originally designed., anything else is good on the car. , my personal choice will be Yaris cross or RAV4 over chr just because of these rear doors ….but that’s me. , many doesn’t like these because of the wheel arches. 🤣

The OP is comparing the torque from a diesel car made by a company that was fined billions for cheating on emissions to make it look environmentally friendly, with a petrol hybrid made by a company prioritising fuel economy. Of course the VW is going to be more pokey.

You're always going to feel that coming from a german car - The interior and general fit and finish is still much better than most japanese companies, who tend to prioritise the mechanicals more.

Personally I don't mind the less flashy interior - It's still functional and hardwearing, and I'd rather money goes to making the car more reliable than the plastics less scratchy. Yes the germans still have the edge on comfort and finish, but their reputation for reliability has taken a nose dive in recent years, whereas most japanese manufactures (Aside from Nissan anyway) have retained their reliability reputation for the most part.

I do sympathize with the the pain of coming to a petrol/hybrid from a diesel - My Mk4 is good, but it's still not as fun to drive as my old Mk1 D4D - It starts off strongly, but sounds like it has to work a lot harder to maintain that pull through the range of speed compared to the D4D. The improved electric motor helps cover a lot of it, but diesel is still the king of torque; The only things that can beat it are higher-end EVs, but those can't get close to the range of a diesel.

If the OP really doesn't get on with the CH-R, I'd recommend trying out the *spit ptoo* Yaris Cross (*shudder*) - As much as I hate recommending any SUV or Crossover (spawns of the devil that they are), it's basically a CH-R but based on the new TNGA platform and engines, and if it's anything like the difference between the Mk3 and Mk4 Yaris, you'll find it a lot nicer to drive! :naughty:  They even included the E-Four AWD system, which they omitted from the normal Mk4 Yaris! :crybaby:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

it's basically a CH-R but based on the new TNGA platform and engines

The C-HR is based on the same TNGA platform as the Corolla. The Yaris Cross is smaller.

Oh interesting, I didn't realise that - I thought it predated the TNGA (Feels like the CH-R has been around for ages!). Thanks for the clarification!

The point still stands tho', AFAIK the CH-R still uses the older hybrid system whereas the Yaris Cross uses the newer and much punchier one, so I still think it'd be a nicer drive.

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

Oh interesting, I didn't realise that - I thought it predated the TNGA (Feels like the CH-R has been around for ages!). Thanks for the clarification!

The point still stands tho', AFAIK the CH-R still uses the older hybrid system whereas the Yaris Cross uses the newer and much punchier one, so I still think it'd be a nicer drive.

My C-HR has the 1.8 with the P610 hybrid transaxle, IMO there is not a later unit for the C-HR. I think the P710 goes in the Corolla and the P810 in the RAV4. I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong 

• 9 months later...

I am not impressed with the 18 Toyota CH-R.  I had to change a motor mount at 38.000 and now I have had to take it back in twice for the same thing.  The check engine light comes on along with the traction light.  When I park it, it revs up high; after the above mentioned issues.  

The fuel pump was changed and now something else will be done and will that even be right?  I know what the code was, it is an O2 sensor so why not change that instead of the fuel pump.  

I am not impressed.  

14 minutes ago, Melody said:

I am not impressed with the 18 Toyota CH-R.  I had to change a motor mount at 38.000 and now I have had to take it back in twice for the same thing.  The check engine light comes on along with the traction light.  When I park it, it revs up high; after the above mentioned issues.  

The fuel pump was changed and now something else will be done and will that even be right?  I know what the code was, it is an O2 sensor so why not change that instead of the fuel pump.  

I am not impressed.  

iv'e just purchased a corolla 1.8 and the quality of external build is well below the standard over Mazda and Lexus. It is not slow however, in fact it's very fast, so much so i turned down the 2 litre version as i could not make out any difference between the two. As for the reliability of the Toyota range, in general it will probably be as expected and with the 10-year warranty the overall winner. 

As for the dealership service staff that's always going to a hit or miss, mostly miss but that's life in the UK 

17 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

iv'e just purchased a corolla 1.8 and the quality of external build is well below the standard over Mazda and Lexus. It is not slow however, in fact it's very fast, so much so i turned down the 2 litre version as i could not make out any difference between the two. As for the reliability of the Toyota range, in general it will probably be as expected and with the 10-year warranty the overall winner. 

As for the dealership service staff that's always going to a hit or miss, mostly miss but that's life in the UK 

My son had a service on his RAV4 hybrid last week so he could get the 12 month warranty. On the service, they found a lower stab bar boot slightly torn and a water pump leak. Both they said were not covered by the warranty - as they’d be found at the service! 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️😡

Okay, if it already had the warranty from before, that's ridiculous.

However, if it didn't have the warranty and this was to get it, yeah unfortunately they explicitly exclude anything that was already faulty before the service :sad: 

That's the one time where you would have been better off taking it to a bad dealer like mine as I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have noticed if the exhaust was hanging off and it only had 3 wheels attached :laugh: 

• Haha 2

On 7/9/2021 at 5:04 PM, SunnySky said:

a lot of negativity about VW in this country is FAKE and fuelled by the famous diesel scandal..VW are 1st / 2nd biggest car manufacturer in the world.just look how many of them are around next time you went for a drive.they are famous for being well made,good quality well engineered mid range cars.(just like Toyota or Honda) same company is making Audi (the same way Toyota makes Lexus) ,my point being they simply cannot be underestimated.funny thing is VW Golf been car of the year in Japan.

it's not Dacia or Fiat we're talking about.imo their reliability is similar to (good) Japanese makes but they are more refined technically and often have better performing cars vs competition for similar price or a little extra.there are thousands of 10+ year DSG VW on used market,if what you people think was even remotely true, people wouldn't be buying them.in fact their used ones are extremely on demand.

I liked the looks of CHR (exterior) ,but I didn't know after owning the Golf (which imo are comparable to CHR price wise with CHR being even more expensive overall) the driving experience will feel so inferior.

didn't really start this thread to make it a war between Toyota and VW fans (this is Toyota owners club after all and I'm an owner although an unhappy one)

so yes better leave it.

My son is a trained VW/Audi technician and was then poached by Lexus. He drives a VW Passat. 
I asked him a few months later after joining Lexus what he thought of Lexus v VW - his answer, “ no comparison”, Lexus are far superior.

They definitely make really nice cars - As a brand new car, the german brands feel much more satisfying as everything is just right and feels nice.

However, by and large, they are cars you get rid of as soon as the warranty runs out.

Toyota still have these bizarre quirks and I have to say my whole dealer experience has been pretty shockingly bad, but they are cars that are on average far less painful to own past the warranty period.

I'd say they are much better second-hand cars as new they can be a bit disappointing, but 2nd hand you expect them to not be perfect anyway but can be pleasantly surprised on how little needs done to them.

In contrast, I'd never buy a modern 2nd hand german car, as half the time it seems it's been sold because it's out of warranty and there is an expensive problem developing that the owner is savvy enough to drop on some unsuspecting customer before it turns into a money pit.

24 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Okay, if it already had the warranty from before, that's ridiculous.

However, if it didn't have the warranty and this was to get it, yeah unfortunately they explicitly exclude anything that was already faulty before the service :sad: 

That's the one time where you would have been better off taking it to a bad dealer like mine as I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have noticed if the exhaust was hanging off and it only had 3 wheels attached :laugh: 

It was the first service after the 5 year warranty had expired ( e.g end of year 6 ).

Then if the previous service was with them it should be covered under the previous year's warranty!

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

Then if the previous service was with them it should be covered under the previous year's warranty!

Previous one was with an independent garage. Toyota advertised the 10-year warranty on the premise, they didn’t care if it had been serviced elsewhere.

Ahh okay then. Yeah, that's unfortunate that the previous garage didn't pick up on those faults - The problem with the factory warranty is faults have to be reported to qualify within the warranty period.

Because of the wording of the warranty, the fault is in that limbo period, effectively between warranties, so they've managed to dodge that then I'm afraid :sad: 

Fortunately those sound like things that your old garage could fix for cheaper than what the dealer would charge, although they are slightly odd things for such a young car...

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Ahh okay then. Yeah, that's unfortunate that the previous garage didn't pick up on those faults - The problem with the factory warranty is faults have to be reported to qualify within the warranty period.

Because of the wording of the warranty, the fault is in that limbo period, effectively between warranties, so they've managed to dodge that then I'm afraid :sad: 

Fortunately those sound like things that your old garage could fix for cheaper than what the dealer would charge, although they are slightly odd things for such a young car...

He’s looking to sell it soon. He was a qualified Toyota tech but not in the business any longer. He could change items himself, but he’s just paid £300 for a full service and both items picked up are not too urgent atm. 👍

Does make you think about this 10-year warranty though and if they will wriggle out of certain claims.