Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 1.2 , true mpg ?

Filip.08

Hello again , i am just wondering if someone has used Redex petrol cleaner ? Any helpful ? How often i should used? Thanks. 

Moved to the Auris club.

There's better stuff than redex.  Try archoil or BG products.  You can buy it on eBay or other sellers.  

Redex injector cleaner is ok when you fill up poor quality fuel, add some redex and you can feel the difference. If you want something that really works as treatment you can use wynns products. Injector cleaner or catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner , important to follow instructions or it will not work. 👍

• Like 1

Auris 1.2T is a thirsty engine. We get 8lit per 100km in city and 5.6 lit/100KM on the highway. No amount of injector cleaner did any thing to improve the consumption.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Auris 1.2T is a thirsty engine. We get 8lit per 100km in city and 5.6 lit/100KM on the highway. No amount of injector cleaner did any thing to improve the consumption.

That’s a good figures, almost as good as hybrid on motorway consumption. 👍

And here i am with my 1.6 91kw doing almost same on highway with A/C on, around 47-48mpg, cruising at around 60 mph.

City wise, i get 6.9-7L average, so around 40 mpg in city.

OP never mentioned his mpg, but people often overlook the fact that yes, it's a small engine, but it's forced induction, meaning more air and more fuel.

Not sure if it's worth the money if you get same mpg as 1.6 NA engine. Not to mention the engine is forced to work harder, and has more potential points of failure.

• 1 month later...

Am considering buying a used Auris 1.2  around 2015 and wonder if it might be under powered.?   Would be grateful to hear from anyone who has a 1.2.

re petrol consumption, according to Honest John figs re true true mog, it shows 44.7.

Hi Derek, welcome to TOC,

It is a 1.2 Turbo so is roughly equivalent to a 1.6 normally-aspirated petrol in terms of power. Whether that is under-powered will depend upon your needs & expectations i.e. it's subjective.

You can also check sprintmonitor.de, shows mpg figures submitted by users, some have pretty high figures.

I'd rather go for 1.6 engine, has more or less same mpg, more power, and under less load since there is no turbo, and also one thing less to break down.

Just for refference, my 2007 1.6 gets some 48 mpg in urban crusing speeds, around 60 mph, and worst i get is around 37-40 in city stop start, and it's older generation engine, so newer one should be more efficient.

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/985-Auris.html?fueltype=2&constyear_s=2016&constyear_e=2017&power_s=114&power_e=118&powerunit=2

• Like 1

I have a 2015 1.2t design, love the car, loads of pull, even at low revs, mpg is around 40mpg in the city and 46mpg on long journeys. Ive had a idle issue for ages now with no joy in resolving it, a friend had tge same issues with his a class which was sorted by having a remap done, ive now had mine mapped and ohhh hell, what a difference.

Loads more bhp up to 154 and torque to 314, pulls really hard but spins the wheels in 3rd so good tires are needed for grip

• Thanks 1

Poor little 1.2, being forced to work so hard, pumping out some power as a 2.0 TDI would. Not really a fan of forced induction on small gasoline engines. It's all nice and fun until you get to the shop.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 2:42 PM, furtula said:

And here i am with my 1.6 91kw doing almost same 

Not sure if it's worth the money if you get same mpg as 1.6 NA engine. Not to mention the engine is forced to work harder, and has more potential points of failure.

But it is a lot faster than 1.6. The turbo comes on early and overtaking on the highway is a breeze. Fun to drive but thirsty.

I looked at both options the older 1ZR-FAE and later 8N-FTS, and looked at specs. The 1.6 may have more power, but it is at very high rpm. The more import torque favours the 1.2T - 185nm available 1500 - 4000 rpm. The 1.6 160nm available at 4400 rpm. So the small 1.2T has more torque than even my 1.8 Valvematic - 180nm 4000 rpm. In normal driving, it is less of an isuue, unless carrying a heavy load and going up hills, when torque is needed. Then more revs are needed for the Valvematic engines compared with the 1.2T. 
There is one thing that could change things. How reliable over a long period is the 1.2T compared to the Vavlematic engine? The engine has both turbo and direct injection, which can issues of there own, if not maintained. Most notable is the inlet side carbon build up. There is also an EGR. The Valvematic may not be perfect, but there are less issues. The main issue is Valvematic controller problem (2010 -2011). I know the Valvematic engine driving a 12 year old Avensis.
Economy depends how and where the car is driven, and how well it is maintained.
I would like to see more responses from 1.2T owners

• Like 1

I own a 1.6 manual auris tourer (as well as an avensis tourer). Bought new in 2014.  It may not be to everyone's taste but it is the best car I've ever owned.  100% reliability (so far!) just tyres and brakes.  It is not particularly cared for apart from annual Toyota service and is driven hard.  If I drive it nicely at steady  50-60mph I can genuinely get 58-61mpg (brim to brim calculated on a number of occasions - don't know how it gets such good consumption but it does).  Usual rural driving without much care 45+mpg and if I drive it very hard in 2nd/3rd gear round rural roads it will drop below 40mpg.  The tourer mpg on Honest John is higher for the 1.6 than the 1.2.  

Acceleration is really surprisingly good and despite all the reviews it is a genuinely fun car to drive. Tested the 1.2 subsequently and can say that the performance and smoothness was much better on the 1.6 in my opinion.  I got a 2nd 1.6 used rather than buying a new 1.2 in 2015 due to my preference to the 1.6 engine (that said the 2nd one never drove as well or accelerated as quickly as my first one).  I also had concerns (probably unfounded) that the 1.2 may not be as reliable being relatively new.  We subsequently sold the 2nd auris tourer and got our avensis but I kept the original 1.6 tourer.  I intend to keep this auris until it bites the dust (never kept a car for more than 3 years before and 7 yrs in still love it). Yes it may look dull and you may think it's old fashioned (engine and technology wise) and slow but it more than meets my needs and is plenty fast enough.  I haven't owned the 1.2 but could honestly say I wouldn't swap my old style 1.6 engine for any other version of the auris.

Should add it's a more enjoyable car to drive than the Avensis as well but not as comfortable, robust feeling or as many gadgets (Avensis is undoubtedly a better car but I love the auris more)!