Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Extreme wind noise from Corolla doors

nielshm

This guy advertises a service for noise reduction. Has anyone used this or used a similar approach to DIY?

On 5/26/2022 at 11:35 PM, Spo2 said:

This guy advertises a service for noise reduction. Has anyone used this or used a similar approach to DIY?

Yeah, take a look what I did: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zCj182biWnHXirTy8

Unfortunately there are still noises around windows.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lukikow said:

Yeah, take a look what I did: https://photos.app.goo.gl/zCj182biWnHXirTy8

Unfortunately there are still noises around windows.

Very impressive, that is hell lot of work tbh. I am sure it would have reduced noise significantly though. 

21 hours ago, Spo2 said:

Very impressive, that is hell lot of work tbh. I am sure it would have reduced noise significantly though. 

Indeed, but only under 100-120km/h. I'm still consider how to reduce noises on highways. There is a lot of noises from the door windows.

2 hours ago, lukikow said:

Indeed, but only under 100-120km/h. I'm still consider how to reduce noises on highways. There is a lot of noises from the door windows.

May be plump the door rubber seals with silicone grease

21 hours ago, Spo2 said:

May be plump the door rubber seals with silicone grease

Using Gummi Pflege every 3months, doesn't work. Also ppl putting silicone rubber into rubber, something like this, but this doesn't help as well.

Hope @clix will go further with his investigation.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all, New here but owner of a 2019 corolla TS. Have the same issue and located the cause of same discription. I Taped Every thing om driver side door to locatie the cricketing/wind noise above 90kph, turns out to be the door handle, have not found a solution but hope to find one soon. Of others have a solution please let us know!

cheers,

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bobzom said:

Hi all, New here but owner of a 2019 corolla TS. Have the same issue and located the cause of same discription. I Taped Every thing om driver side door to locatie the cricketing/wind noise above 90kph, turns out to be the door handle, have not found a solution but hope to find one soon. Of others have a solution please let us know!

cheers,

Bob

That's very surprising. Have you pictures of taped door? I'm curious how much effort you put there.

From the other side, the noise I hear comes from upper part of the doors. Also, my doors have a lot of soundproofing rubber. Take a look on previous post with gallery for reference.

Maybe we have different issues?

Anyway, thanks for share!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bobzom said:

cheers,

Bob

Fully agree with you. 👌
Toyota cars has some issues with doors windows seals or sound insulation particularly this area door cards, handles and b pillar seatbelt opening. 
For the door handles , they even leak air while in motion or been seating inside stationary and there are heavy winds , you can feel air stream enter the car interior through door handles, particularly rear doors. 
These 3 are the most common entry point for external noise.
Fix that and your cars will be silent. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Fully agree with you. 👌
Toyota cars has some issues with doors windows seals or sound insulation particularly this area door cards, handles and b pillar seatbelt opening. 
For the door handles , they even leak air while in motion or been seating inside stationary and there are heavy winds , you can feel air stream enter the car interior through door handles, particularly rear doors. 
These 3 are the most common entry point for external noise.
Fix that and your cars will be silent. 

Have you fixed some of these places? Could you share photos of the particular places?

2 hours ago, lukikow said:

Have you fixed some of these places? Could you share photos of the particular places?

No, I haven’t bothered as my car is older Auris hybrid and apart from door handles ventilation 😂 it is quiet and refined when driving. 

• Haha 1

I'm quite surprised at this thread. I find our 2020 Corolla TS really refined in terms of wind noise. What I do find annoying with it is the amount of tyre noise on certain road surfaces! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

I'm quite surprised at this thread. I find our 2020 Corolla TS really refined in terms of wind noise. What I do find annoying with it is the amount of tyre noise on certain road surfaces! 

Unavoidable in uk. Rough asphalt most of the road network. 

• Like 2

Hi allThanks both for the response, as to the request of fotos of the taping of Doors and seals, sorry have not Made Some, but trust me when I say I taped all openings/door and window gaps. I have found the source of my cricket wind sound, Caused by wind hitting the door handle seals/rubbers on drivers side. I have solved this with simple masking (with Black ducktape) the rubbers/holes behind the door handles (from outside) when opened. Finally a silent car:)))

hope this helps others, drove me nuts for quite a while;)!

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2023 at 12:12 PM, TonyHSD said:

Unavoidable in uk. Rough asphalt most of the road network. 

I find premium tyres does reduce road noise. The OEM Falken does get noisy, especially below 4mm.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 2:32 PM, Bobzom said:

Hi allThanks both for the response, as to the request of fotos of the taping of Doors and seals, sorry have not Made Some, but trust me when I say I taped all openings/door and window gaps. I have found the source of my cricket wind sound, Caused by wind hitting the door handle seals/rubbers on drivers side. I have solved this with simple masking (with Black ducktape) the rubbers/holes behind the door handles (from outside) when opened. Finally a silent car:)))

hope this helps others, drove me nuts for quite a while;)!

Could you show what exactly you cover by tape? I made some pictures of the door handle: https://photos.app.goo.gl/kCTyw18V2rdCPHQQ9

I added some self adhesive thin foam to Putt extra pressure and coverage over rubber and hole here:

B127FC3C-9AAC-41C5-A3C0-967B0059E16B.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobzom said:

I added some self adhesive thin foam to Putt extra pressure and coverage over rubber and hole here:

B127FC3C-9AAC-41C5-A3C0-967B0059E16B.jpeg

Thank you. I have to check this out.

For make sure, I don't need to unscrew anything?

@Bobzom sorry for disturbing you again, but.. I've tried with something like this. This foam seems too hard, so the handle doesn't fit correctly. Could you show what did you use?

IMG_20231127_210342.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links