Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla DRLs

Trewithy

I was out for a walk this morning and spotted a Corolla on the road.  The first thing I notice was the Daytime Running Lights, mine are three LEDs just inboard of the headlights, these were a thin strip under the headlights rising towards the outer edge.  Would that indicate that it was a 2 litre or an excel model?

I have only had my car a couple of months and haven't yet driven it in proper darkness, can I expect to see an improvement in illumination over the halogens in my last car?

The illumination produced by my 2019 Corolla Excel is more than satisfactory. The only issue is the auto main beam which at times seems to be rather tardy in dipping the lights. Other people have complained that it can be a bit quick to switch to main beam as well resulting in 'flashing' although I haven't noticed that.

• Like 1

The thin DRL's running up to the out edge (j DRL I think they are know as) would indicate an excel model or a 2019 design ts I believe, they removed them on the design ts for the 21 models as mine doesn't have them

Hi, yes exclusive to excel models. The difference between led headlights and halogen one is huge. Once you get use to led going back to halogen takes time and it’s painful, feels like you drive without any lights. 

• Like 1

I have a 2020 Excel HB, the DRLs on this are as you describe Kevin (and Tony). I believe it's only the Excel that has these lights.

Re headlights, the LED lights are brilliant, pun not intended. 2021 models throughout the range now have the LED headlights and fog lights https://media.toyota.co.uk/toyota-corolla-gains-new-features-and-specifications-for-2021/

• Like 1

Excel HB has brilliant lights but .. no spare wheel 😉

• Like 1

If the LEDs are anything like the ones in my Mk4 Yaris it's like having a miniature sun lighting your way :laugh: I've never had a car with such clear illumination, and it's a very pure white unlike the slightly yellow tint of normal bulbs which somehow makes things stand out more.

I just feel bad about using them as I know I'm probably dazzling all oncoming drivers - I used to be on the receiving end of such lights and was always cursing the other driver for having such overly bright lights! I've lowered them to position 2 to try and keep the worst of it out of other driver's eyelines, but the cutoff is razor sharp so it's really clear where the light stops and I wince every time I hit a bump and see the line of illumination bounce up past the oncoming driver's windscreen!