Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1991 Toyota Carina II problem with lights

Trebuchet

So the problem is that the headlamps wont turn on from light switch (parking lights still do). However the headlamps turn on as well if I pass the headlight switch and the relay using a jumper cable in "main" fusebox under the hood. I've tested all the fuses and relays and they should be working. And when I turn the light switch it causes the relays in the foot space to go 'click' on both switch positions, so the light switch should be working as well. So how do I go on with fixing the problem?

How did you test the relays, did you test them under load ?

Have you checked the power is getting to the head lights ?

Do the rear lights work ?

Are you sure It's not just 2 blown bulbs ?

17 hours ago, flash22 said:

How did you test the relays, did you test them under load ?

Have you checked the power is getting to the head lights ?

Do the rear lights work ?

Are you sure It's not just 2 blown bulbs ?

There are three identical relays in the footspace for which I don't have documentation to know what they do. But one of those is for the parking lights, because if I take it off the parking lights wont turn on anymore. So those I three I tested just by rotating them around and checking if the parking lights still work, and they did. The actual headlight relay is different, 4 pin one and it's in the "main" fuse box under the hood. That one I tested by taking it off, using short leads to connect its high power side to the fuse box and then by manually leading the 12V voltage difference to its control contacts. And it worked, so yes, headlight relay was tested under load too and the headlights do turn on using that method. So the relays seem to work under load, power does go to the headlamps and the bulbs are not blown.

Rear lights do work, turning signals work. Actually the only other thing apart from the headlights which doesn't seem to work are the lights by the gear selector. The car has an automatic gearbox and I think it used to have lights for the gear selector, but they seem to be gone now. Hmmm.

Yesterday I disconnected all the leads from the main fuse box under the hood and used multimeter in ohmmeter mode to see which contacts from under the fuse box lead to the control side of the headlight relay, so I located the wire controlling the headlights. I then checked its voltage against the battery's terminals and it seemed to react to the headlight switch a little bit, but the voltage was all wonky. It didn't show any voltage difference against battery's black terminal no matter of the light switch position, but it did show about -1,6V constantly changing difference to the battery's red terminal when the headlight switch was turned on and 0V difference when it was turned off. I found the same color wire from the footspace which seems to react perfectly to the light switch giving -12V voltage difference to the red terminal of the Battery when the light switch is turned in on position and 0V difference when the light switch is in off position.

It seems to me now that that wire is broken between the footspace and main fuse box under the hood and in contact with something it shouldn't. Maybe the wire of the gear selector lights? Can I just disconnect the headlight wire from both ends and circumvent it with a new one? Or how problems like these are and/or should be fixed?

If the lights come on with a bypass your issue is with the control side

the 3 relays

bottom - rear de-fogger

Middle - Tail light relay

top - rear fog lamp

under the dash is a dim-dip relay  (a green box) 82643-12020 or 90987-04004 or 90987-02006 ( near the 3 relays above on its own bracket) this is the likely culprit