Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reversing light not working?

Trewithy

My neighbour tells me that I have only one reversing light working, the one on the drivers side is not illuminating.  I have had cars in the long and distant past with only one reversing light but is this normal on the Corolla?

1 minute ago, Trewithy said:

My neighbour tells me that I have only one reversing light working, the one on the drivers side is not illuminating.  I have had cars in the long and distant past with only one reversing light but is this normal on the Corolla?

I think that you only have one Kevin, from manufacture.

Anything in the Handbook?

They only need 1 and more than likely only has 1 wired (usually on the passenger side) it's all down to cost saving,

If only one reversing light, it will be ok on the near side. The driver side may well be a red fog lamp. If only one fog light fitted (which is legally ok) then it has to be on the offside.

• Like 1

The old Corolla only had one fog light, but it was a popular thing to wire the other side up as the cluster had the bulb holder there.

You could put in a bulb and cable it you want,  if the other side also has a bulb holder, the more light the better ?!

However, it could invalidate your warranty if you do so  and not sure  if your new model has these resistor/Can-bus type bulbs ??

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone,

I came across this forum but I notice as well that my 2018 Toyota Corolla hactback mzea12 model only had one reverse light working.and the right hand side not working.so I tried replacing the reverse lumileds reverse rear light and still not working. I also bought the whole kit for the reverse lamp still not working. I’m guessing it’s a wiring faulty ? I rang up Toyota Corolla warranty department they said Toyota dealer will look into it and if it’s manufactory fault Toyota will fix it.  

In Europe, the Corolla only has one reversing light.

• Like 4

There is only 1 reverse light, if you want 2 you will have to wire it your self

if you just had a blanking plate it the light its self, but it has the connector it's just not wire up as it's meant for a different market - LHD and RHD have the rear fog light and reverse light swapped to opposite sides

IIRC reverse light on the left makes it a RHD car, so you're possibly in Australia

2 reasons for only one reverse light, cost savings, they don't have to produce LHD and RHD lights and only 1 type of wiring loom, the lights are also designed that way to make the rear look symmetrical and more ascetically pleasing

• Like 2

One thing I like about the Mk4 is the reverse light is in the middle so all this becomes a non-issue :biggrin: 

• Like 1

I'm not used to asymmetrical designs in cars, so the first time we noticed only one reverse light turned on, we obviously thought it was a defect. I saw many cars in Europe with two reverse lights, so couldn't get my head around the idea that someone would want to save two pennies thanks to a regulation that mentions only one should be the minimum required...

Fortunately, forums full of valuable people like this one exist, and we didn't went with the dealer and asked for a repair under warranty...

😅

• Like 2

If the reversing light is as bright as my indicator light, you certainly won't need 2 lights 😅

11 hours ago, fourbanks said:

If the reversing light is as bright as my indicator light, you certainly won't need 2 lights 😅

That's another thing Toyota should consider on a redesign/upgrade in future years: the indicators, brake, and rear lights. We absolutely love the overall design of the head and rear lights, but the indicators, brake and reverse lights could be upgraded. They're just too bright bulbs that disrupt all the effort they made with the LED tail and day time/head lights...

We love the overall design of both, specially the LED headlights with the LED day running time lights and the 'Automatic High Beam' feature.