Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 electric passenger window 'one touch'

MrZardoz

Just a small thing but it bugs me how from my drivers side window controls I have to keep the button pressed to raise or lower the passenger window, the drivers is just a tap to send it up and down. 

Is there a way to change the operation?

Does the switch have auto on it ? if so it just needs reprogramming, ignition on - pull the switch up when closed and hold for ten seconds, wind the window down and hold the button down for 10 seconds

It's not easy to put auto up on the passenger side, you can get a module, but it requires extra wiring in the passenger door

• Like 1

Ah, just been to check and only got 'AUTO' on the drivers side. Guess that's why. Thanks for the info!

switch.thumb.jpg.5d7fdd4265722ad93b1834fbff6bb050.jpg

I'm not sure what possessed Toyota to put auto on the driver's side only on the Auris. If it was economising, it was a step too far! My old Corolla had auto on both front windows so it was quite an irritation for a while after moving to the Auris, and a baffling downgrade. Pleased to see that it seems to have been recitified, if I remember correctly from looking inside a new Corolla (and from a new Yaris loan car I had). It would also be nice to be able to control the windows (aside from the 'grace period' after turning off) without cycling right through the 'ignition' stages with the power button, if you get what I mean, and being able to raise the windows from outside (e.g. holding button on key fob) would also be very handy - something other manufacturers have been offering for years.

Yeah it was like that in the Mk1 and Mk2 Yaris - They didn't even have electric rear windows!

It was quite a jump in the Mk4 - All windows electric and all have auto open AND close!! :yahoo:

Apparently it can also open/close the windows on the remote but it's not on by default, and for some weird reason you need Techstream to enable it - Hopefully I will remember to get the dealer to do it next time I visit them...!

3 hours ago, CurranShelter said:

I'm not sure what possessed Toyota to put auto on the driver's side only on the Auris. If it was economising, it was a step too far! My old Corolla had auto on both front windows so it was quite an irritation for a while after moving to the Auris, and a baffling downgrade. Pleased to see that it seems to have been recitified, if I remember correctly from looking inside a new Corolla (and from a new Yaris loan car I had). It would also be nice to be able to control the windows (aside from the 'grace period' after turning off) without cycling right through the 'ignition' stages with the power button, if you get what I mean, and being able to raise the windows from outside (e.g. holding button on key fob) would also be very handy - something other manufacturers have been offering for years.

Top of the range Auris models got the full auto all round as i have looked at doing this mod on the yaris using oem parts it gets complex as the Auto motors use a Lin-bus and the way the limit/current detect works the Yaris and Auris share a lot of common parts

I did post it on here, but there was no interest (only done the passenger side so far) using an aftermaket module (imported from the USA)

Mirror switch mod

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/15/2021 at 1:10 PM, MrZardoz said:

Just a small thing but it bugs me how from my drivers side window controls I have to keep the button pressed to raise or lower the passenger window, the drivers is just a tap to send it up and down. 

Is there a way to change the operation?

Just hold it down for more than 5 seconds to lower fully

• Haha 1

@flash22 And there was I thinking it was a bit mean and nit-picky to make it a top-of-the-range feature - had no idea it was quite so different to the non-auto setup. Interesting!

On 7/18/2021 at 9:55 PM, PaulDM said:

Just hold it down for more than 5 seconds to lower fully

Cheers, so helpful 😄 

It's awkward keeping my finger down that long though, loosens the grip on my beer bottle.

On 7/18/2021 at 8:21 PM, flash22 said:

Top of the range Auris models got the full auto all round as i have looked at doing this mod on the yaris using oem parts it gets complex as the Auto motors use a Lin-bus and the way the limit/current detect works the Yaris and Auris share a lot of common parts

I did post it on here, but there was no interest (only done the passenger side so far) using an aftermaket module (imported from the USA)...

Thanks for sharing the info. Think I'll just live with how it is as it's a minor inconvenience.