Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disable Annoying Eco-Score?

Grompix

I think I probably know the answer to this one: -

I have just bought a Yaris Excel Mk4 Hybrid (registered Sept 2020) after having my previous Yaris Mk3 Hybrid written off by a dim-sighted white-van-man a month ago.

Love the car (as I did my old one) but I just can’t abide the Eco-Score thing which shows up on the meter display after each journey. It gives a percentage score and three bars showing start, cruise and stop, together with some firmly worded ‘advice’ on how I can ‘improve’ my eco-driving.

I don’t need my car telling me how to drive it thank you, especially when the algorithms Toyota are using to gauge such things don’t always appear to be fully related to real-life traffic conditions.

Does anyone know how to disable this  condescending and increasingly annoying eco-score message appearing every time I switch off my car?

I’ve looked in vain online and it appears that you can customise most things on the Yaris meter display - but apparently not this.

I’m really hoping someone here knows something different.

Chris  

Trip SummaryEd2 (Copy).jpg

Trip SummaryEd1 (Copy).jpg

• Like 1

I swear you can turn it off; If you go to the Cog menu and hunt around in there I swear there is a setting in there somewhere... Then again might just be my brain playing tricks on me.

I find the score quite amusing; I was driving around like I was in a Subaru and still got a score of 72 :laugh:

Also, if you open the door before you turn off the car it doesn't show up, and if you get out before shutting the door you'll never see it!

How are you finding the Mk4 compared to the Mk3? I found it's massively more efficient, and is a lot more usable on the motorway and country roads. Also can tackle hills without taking a massive mpg hit! Almost like driving my old diesel Yaris, although I had it to Goodwood on the weekend full of mates and it definitely started to struggled when the traction Battery drained! I reckon it was pretty close to its 1600kg gross weight limit...

I'm also loving that it has a lot of things you normally only get on giant expensive land boats rather than small cars.

• Like 1

P104 onwards of the manual

using the controls on the wheel, go into the settings display menu (cog icon) - the the eco menu (leaf icon)

Select to change the displayed content of the following:

• Hybrid System Indicator

Select to display/not display the Eco Accelerator Guidance. (→P.105)

• Fuel economy display

Select to change the average fuel consumption display between after start/after reset/after refuel. (→P.105)

• Like 1

Many thanks for your replies Cyker and Flash 22.
Much appreciated.
Been through the settings setup quite a few times but to no avail.
I've attached some pics of what I am getting on the menu's - just in case I am missing something that you (or someone else) might be able to spot - hopefully!
Thanks again,
Cheers
Chris 😉

Settings1 (Copy).jpg

Settings2(Copy).jpg

Settings3 (Copy).jpg

Settings4 (Copy).jpg

Settings5 (Copy).jpg

Settings6 (Copy).jpg

Settings7 (Copy).jpg

Settings8 (Copy).jpg

• Like 1

Step 5 - It's like a slide switch to turn it OFF, the switch has to show ON

• Like 1

Yeah, although I think it's not a slider switch, I think the OFF just has to be highlighted to show it's active? I'd go double-check but I'm lazy and also my face is melting right now... :wacko:

It is definitely not a "slider switch". The word you see is its current status ("on" is highlighted in reverse). You cannot get rid of that screen completely. In both cases of "on" and "off" you will still see the 3 graphic bars. The only difference is that when showing "off", the sanctimonious text advice is not there. When showing "on", that's when you get the "advice". 😉 

I can't help with the query but I completely agree with you. I hate this kind of stuff too.

Can you turn off "Current trip result display" ? Under the car Icon 🚗

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Can you turn off "Current trip result display" ?

Never tried. Why would you need to do that anyway?

22 minutes ago, CPN said:

It is definitely not a "slider switch".

I know what I meant, 😉 yep it's more of a toggle

2 minutes ago, CPN said:

Never tried. Why would you need to do that anyway?

RTFM 😉 😁

431741167_gen4ecotrip.thumb.jpg.cd09260cf6dc3e968d077af4c6392e40.jpg

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

RTFM 😉 😁

431741167_gen4ecotrip.thumb.jpg.cd09260cf6dc3e968d077af4c6392e40.jpg

Bob, which page was that table on in the manual?

Page...............................................

not sure if the cars now come with the abridged versions of the paper manuals or not

Hi Chaps
Annoying ECO-Score Message - SOLVED!
Much obliged for all your feedback. I'm sure I never would have found the way through the dogs-dinner of the Yaris Setup menus without you guys pointing me in the right directions - slide switches or not!
I've taken a group of 6 pics to show how I've managed to disable that condescending and really annoying eco-score message at the end of every drive.
Now it only shows a trip summary - I can certainly live with that - much more 'normal'.   

Settings1 ).jpg

Settings2.jpg

Settings3.jpg

Settings4.jpg

Settings5.jpg

Settings6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice, glad you figured it out, and thanks for posting back here to let us know how you did it!! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

This is what it looks like in mine, after a trip. (I didn't drive in this case)

IMG_20210717_210829110~2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, it seems to differ between models/equipment... Here's how it went when following Chris's pics on the Launch Edition:

160887190_DisablingEco-scoremessage1.thumb.jpg.c499b14ec5f4863de882a7592a30c559.jpg

Couple of extra icons but the end one is the same as "Disabling Eco-score message 1". So far so good...

1097782341_DisablingEco-scoremessage2.thumb.jpg.371eddfeea97ee35cd7f6af57ef8c6c7.jpg Disabling Eco-score message 2

373235269_DisablingEco-scoremessage3.thumb.jpg.c9efbd6dc52f131f94ea29533e9d5ba2.jpg Disabling Eco-score message 3

So far so good...

1368289124_DisablingEco-scoremessage4.thumb.jpg.568a8b2381ec5432a2dff6cba9b7bcfc.jpg nothing like "Disabling Eco-score message 4"

Uh-oh! All I get is that? 

Can others with a Launch Edition confirm? Chris? You seem to have jumped a menu between "message 3" pic and "message 4" pic? The heading on the menu in "message 4" should be "Display Contents" and not "Settings"? Doesn't appear logical. On mine, each subsequent menu takes the heading from the previous menu selection?

Ok, finally figured it out! There's a difference in the number of menus under "Settings" on mine it seems...

After this 1st menu...

204846858_DisablingEco-scoremenu1.thumb.jpg.b9564a1ce06657e8bd0911c256ba857f.jpg

Holding OK, results in 3 new menu screens (using 3 down presses of the rocker each time) before you get to the "Trip Summary" menu... ("Display Settings" is irrelevant) 

57110479_DisablingEco-scoremenu2a.thumb.jpg.8b1fca385b4e796fa5d6e291243ba3e6.jpg 1st screen of options (then dwn,dwn,dwn...)

477283794_DisablingEco-scoremenu2b.thumb.jpg.349a353183f0b6deff1c85de31805764.jpg 2nd screen of options (then dwn,dwn,dwn...)

1873074063_DisablingEco-scoremenu2c.thumb.jpg.cb9148ab88268dc010c906ea70dfcde9.jpg 3rd screen of options and finally "Trip Summary" appears!

1379606091_DisablingEco-scoremenu3.thumb.jpg.6dafe1ba4890818114b5a5e30fa80bd2.jpg The 2nd most important menu appears (usually with "EcoScore" highlighted)

Move "up" once to highlight "DriveInfo" and push for OK

Now the dreaded sanctimonious "Eco Guidance" message will not appear when you switch off! 🙂

97466570_Newswitchoffdisplay.thumb.jpg.6c4d72f687d63bc6de21e72f1d4581b2.jpg

Instead giving you something like this...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apologies for that mess-up chaps.
...and many thanks for sorting it out Colin.
Taking photographs in the car then putting them in the right order on the PC is obviously proving a step too far for me!
Anyway, I was going to edit the previous 'solved' post with new pics but I can't seem to find a way to do that, so here is a new 'corrected' (I hope) series of pictorial guidance, hopefully reinforcing what Colin (CPN) has said.

Settings.jpg

Settings1.jpg

Settings2.jpg

Settings3.jpg

Settings4.jpg

Settings5.jpg

Settings6.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Grompix said:

I was going to edit the previous 'solved' post with new pics but I can't seem to find a way to do that

Members only have a limited window in which to edit posts. To edit a post, click on the 3 small dots in the top right corner of the post.

Moderators can edit posts and topics at any time.

• Thanks 1

Got there in the end, it's not just Toyota that makes things confusing - working with electronics for a very long time, you get use to these "quirks"

The Germans have untold ways to make even the basic systems more complicated than they need to be

• Like 2

Yeah, it's a shame the dash display is so small - If only there was a bigger screen available in the car, they could have put those settings on there so we wouldn't have to scroll through loads of pages of options; It would make finding these settings sooo much easier, and and and with all that extra space they could even maybe add *descriptions* instead of forcing us to play Guess What The Icon-Slash-Acronym Means...

But seriously, there is a MASSIVE TOUCH SCREEN DISPLAY IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CAR THEY COULD HAVE USED!!!

The stupid thing is you can change some of the settings of the car from the touch screen display, but only like, 5 of them. I ... just... why!?

I honestly don't understand the mindset of whoever designs these systems... Maybe they have some OCD against with duplicating things?

• Like 2

They are 2 different systems they are linked with can bus tho, by keeping them separate you minimize costs and make the system easier to diag, look how complex the bmw iDrive is, that is a nightmare to use 1 point of failure, and it kills the car dead

• Like 1