Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Passenger Doors lock issues

pplou

The car automatically locks all doors when you start a journey, however if passengers in the back of the car, try to open the door they cannot do this unless I unlock from the front main panel.  Child locks are not on.  Is this normal, it's very frustrating when you have to open the door for adults as they can't do this themselves?  

Do the doors unlock when you switch the engine off? I have aftermarket controller for the doors locking on the move and it does just that - engine off - doors unlocked. 

As above, my 3rd party OBD kit does this, for the fronts the passenger can just open the door, for the rears you need to unlock them using the button.

2 hours ago, pplou said:

The car automatically locks all doors when you start a journey, however if passengers in the back of the car, try to open the door they cannot do this unless I unlock from the front main panel.  Child locks are not on.  Is this normal, it's very frustrating when you have to open the door for adults as they can't do this themselves?  

Yes, that's the way the speed linked door locking works - the car locks all the doors when you get to around 12 mph; unlocking is under the control of the driver - all doors will unlock if the driver unlocks them, or when the driver's door is opened.

You can disable the speed linked door locking function through the customisation settings.

However, while the rear passenger doors cannot be opened from the outside, I would have expected that a rear seat passenger could simply unlock their own door using the unlock button before pulling the handle. Doesn't this work? (I haven't managed to try the experiment!)

On 7/16/2021 at 5:10 PM, philip42h said:

You can disable the speed linked door locking function through the customisation settings. [see below]

However, while the rear passenger doors cannot be opened from the outside, I would have expected that a rear seat passenger could simply unlock their own door using the unlock button before pulling the handle. Doesn't this work? (I haven't managed to try the experiment!) [I think that's right, but haven't had time to try it yet]

There's a couple of options in the menu, such as:

• Auto unlock by shift to P
  • Auto unlock by driver door

Locking Menu.jpg

Indeed - defaults as shown below:

image.thumb.png.9769a72213533ceb0f2f114acec80a5a.png

"Auto unlock by shift to P" might well suit the needs of the OP ... ?

I had the same problem.  I now just set it to "Auto unlock by shift to P" as philip42h says.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links