Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Voice on Sat Nav not dimming Radio sound

pplou

When I have the Sat Nav on along side DAB Radio, the Sat Nav voice instructions compete with DAB and it does not automatically lower the DAB radio sound when instructions are said, this makes it really difficult to catch when the Sat Nav voice instructions are coming through.  It only does this when in DAB, all other sources including FM work fine. Any suggestions?

It is an annoyance Toyota have yet to overcome, there is nothing you can do 

It's something that has been basic in cars for many years and it surprised me when I first got the car that this function was not available.  It's one of my pet niggles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ernieb said:

It's something that has been basic in cars for many years and it surprised me when I first got the car that this function was not available.  It's one of my pet niggles.

Toyota seemingly don't solicit or use feedback or take much notice of the wider market and what is considered a really basic feature in many other brands. It's almost as if they exist in a bubble. When they eventually implement something, it can be as though the purpose is somehow lost in translation, or the ability to tick a box is chosen over actual meaningful implementation where the function and purpose becomes frictionless to the user.

@Avalon, I’m very new to Toyota but looking through the posts it does seem that you are 100% correct.  There are things a had on my Skoda Yetis that were just used everyday that a brand like Toyota could adopt that would enhance the product driving experience using what’s already in the car.  One of the features I really miss was the dipping wing mirrors when you selected reverse, so simple but so useful, just enough to see how close to a high curb you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2021 at 3:15 PM, ernieb said:

@Avalon, I’m very new to Toyota but looking through the posts it does seem that you are 100% correct.  There are things a had on my Skoda Yetis that were just used everyday that a brand like Toyota could adopt that would enhance the product driving experience using what’s already in the car.  One of the features I really miss was the dipping wing mirrors when you selected reverse, so simple but so useful, just enough to see how close to a high curb you are.

I really miss our dipping wing mirrors (previous 3008 Peugeot) also it's hard to believe that I only have the choice of radio or navigation but not both together.  

It shocked me to find this issue on my 2021 Excel. My first built in satnav was 17 years ago and they've all reduced the radio volume since then. I've overcome it to a degree by having the voice instruction volume very high, but it's ridiculous that a £37000 car doesn't have this very basic facility. 

• Like 2

I’ve also noticed on my 2021 RAV that the volume of the navigation announcements can not be done using the head unit volume control but has to be preset using the phone before the car is in motion.  I’ve been able to do this on just about all the cars I’ve previously owned that had built in navigation.  It’s this lack of control that I think does not allow the the head unit to reduce the volume of the media/radio when an announcement is made.

On the other hand, if you use Apple car play with Waze and listen to Spotify, navigation instructions will mute music (and pause audiobooks), which sometimes gets very annoying.

On 7/21/2021 at 10:27 AM, JillG said:

I really miss our dipping wing mirrors (previous 3008 Peugeot) also it's hard to believe that I only have the choice of radio or navigation but not both together.  

Same here, I installed the small convex mirror on the passenger side, something like this
image.thumb.png.c056edcc5c64361bbe0d38cc99957fcc.png

• Like 1

Looks good but I’d be unable to fit anything like this as it would interfere with the blind spot monitors.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Looks good but I’d be unable to fit anything like this as it would interfere with the blind spot monitors.

Wouldn't have thought it would affect the monitoring - isn't that done at the rear along with the cross traffic monitoring ?. The mirror would have to be small enough not to block the blind spot warning display I agree. Might look for one of these mirrors myself.

The problem is that the warning is not audible and/or visual but just visual and that is on the edge of the mirror just where the convex mirror would be attached. It would block the view.

My previous Subaru XV had an audible warning as well as visual.

1A935A28-5D51-4FF8-920B-C716C7A011E3.jpeg

12 hours ago, ernieb said:

The problem is that the warning is not audible and/or visual but just visual and that is on the edge of the mirror just where the convex mirror would be attached. It would block the view.

1A935A28-5D51-4FF8-920B-C716C7A011E3.jpeg

Ernie, I pretty sure my Prius has an audible warning as well as the visual. I will try and check today.

Thanks, I’d assumed it would have had one but so far I’ve not been able to locate the setting.

Hmm, doesn't really help if a 5 year old Prius has an audible warning or not, the current RAV4 doesn't for the blind spot monitoring. It does have audible for the rear cross traffic alert though.

If that is a picture of your mirror Ernie then it looks different to my non-PHEV version where the BSM display is higher up in the top quarter.

Sorry for confusion caused, the picture above is not from RAV4.
Below is the picture from my RAV4, it does not have bsm, but will give the idea if it will work for you or not.
I set it up, so I can see the rear wheel and it helps when parking next to the curb.

IMG_0730.thumb.jpg.1d6db85088fb05311912858c5a6a6946.jpg

The picture of the mirror is not my PHEV but is identical. I wanted an image that showed where the indicators were positioned and where activated.

My previous Subaru had the visual indication in the frame of the wing mirror and was much more obvious and easy to see.  When I first got the RAV I found the mirror light somewhat underwhelming, I’m used to it now so have adapted my eye movement to pick up the indication. Not a problem but part of the adaptation that was needed as is true when you change to a different car brand I guess.

Ah, with hindsight the picture you show is a good representation. Having been out in mine this morning I acknowledge that they are fairly central on the edge of the mirror and not much higher up as my memory thought.

Still think there is a room for a small mirror down in the corner, at least it would only be on the nearside where the BSM has (or should have) less to do.

8 hours ago, Catlover said:

Ernie, I pretty sure my Prius has an audible warning as well as the visual. I will try and check today.

Sorry Ernie, I been out this afternoon and a couple vehicles went by, the blind spot indicator was there but no sound.  I assuming that before you overtake it’s mirror-signal-manoeuvre, so checking the mirror with the added benefit of the flashing symbol if someone was overtaking would be sufficent.

@Catlover, thank you the effort is appreciated.  From my prospective this seems like an opportunity missed which could easily have been a user selectable option.

Don't get be wrong I love the car it’s a pleasure to drive but I do find some of the out dated implementations of the technology incorporated into the car to be poor at this price point.  This has to be contrasted against the magical PHEV/Hybrid and HVAC systems, I’d hoped for better.

Looking at reviews the user technology always appears to be a few years behind the competition. When I’d read these I’d somewhat downplayed the truth in those statements.

I still love the car…….

On 7/22/2021 at 6:18 PM, ernieb said:

Thinking about it Ernie, if there was audible every time a vehicle was in the blind spot and there was bleeps, it would mean EVERY time you were being overtaken you would get the bleeps. how often do you get overtaken on a M-Way or even slow moving traffic??. That would drive me crackers, so I glad there is no sound, just vision.

Joe, you just need to make sure you don’t get overtaken! 😁

2 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Joe, you just need to make sure you don’t get overtaken! 😁

Those pesky e-scooters get everywhere.