Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Paint quality?

North Yorkshire Steve

40 minutes ago, AisinW said:

Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Tesla paints are all water base and relatively soft compared to German cars except Porsche. 

Most manufacturers, including German companies, use water based paints now to reduce environmental issues.

• Like 2

Wouldn't it be the lacquer that's the problem rather than the paint?

I think if you're precious about that sort of thing, it's worth getting PPF (If you've a lot of money!) or a decent quality ceramic coating.

The PPF will provide a protective plastic layer, while the ceramic coating is a hardened coating.

TBH I don't know why they don't put a ceramic coat on the car from factory to mitigate the soft lacquers. They could buy it in bulk which would push the price down, and just spray it on as the new final paint stage...?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

Wouldn't it be the lacquer that's the problem rather than the paint?

I think if you're precious about that sort of thing, it's worth getting PPF (If you've a lot of money!) or a decent quality ceramic coating.

The PPF will provide a protective plastic layer, while the ceramic coating is a hardened coating.

TBH I don't know why they don't put a ceramic coat on the car from factory to mitigate the soft lacquers. They could buy it in bulk which would push the price down, and just spray it on as the new final paint stage...?

Cynically, I wonder if it's because they'd prefer to sell you a shiny new one in 3/4 years time😀

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 10:12 PM, jadenwu said:

I purchased my first Jag, 18 plate XE r sport in October and I love it. I have never known any of my previous cars to scratch in the way this car does though. Whats the craic with the paintwork. I have always taken pride in my cars but every time I clean it, I seem to be finding more and more hairline scratches on the paintwork, bonnet and roof especially. Is there anything that I can use to get these out, T Cut maybe although I'm hesitant to use it on this paintwork just in case I end up with more marks on the car. Please help. Cheers folks in anticipation of your help. Firenze Red XE R-Sport 4dr Auto 19" Venom 5 twin spoke-black.

If the car looked pristine when you bought it, then chances are that it has been polished using polishes that contain resin fillers, such as (but not limited to:) Autoglym's super resin polish etc. these are excellent at covering over swirls and light scratches and can easily and quickly be applied by hand to stunning effect, but the only downside is that it doesn't last very long when used on its own, the resins will eventually wash out thus revealing the damaged surface, it is best used with a polymer sealant on top to lock in the resins, some of these so easy to apply (spray and wipe off)  and only take 10 to 15 minutes to apply but can last 12 months between applications. Carplan No.1 Super Gloss

• Like 4

On 1/26/2023 at 8:38 PM, AisinW said:

Toyota, Honda, Lexus, Tesla paints are all water base and relatively soft compared to German cars except Porsche. 

I think only Civic type R has hard paint. The rest are all water base soft clear paint. Don't wash the car without knowing the proper technique and very soft microfiber+polyamide towels. 

After spending lots of time on VAG forums over the years (and owning plenty), the German paint (in those cars) isn’t anything special. My Lapiz blue Golf R swirled up by driving past a hand car wash. Even with the most gentle & careful washing, it still picked up a lot of swirls & needed frequent machine polishing 

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure everyone uses 2 pack water based paints these days.

Although softer, it is much easier to touch up and blow in than the old paints. Often dents can be pulled out without damaging the paint.

Use 2 buckets hand wash method and apply gently with soap and  the softest microfiber hair like you can find. Rinse it and dry it. Apply a long lasting sealant and it should be enough for 2 months without washing. Start washing and waxing again if the water beading is weaker. Less washing, less scratches and do not polish too often because it errode clear coat. May be once before you sell your car.

• Like 1

From experience I have found Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine is very good at removing swirl marks and leaves the paintwork smooth with a good shine.  It is expensive and is recommended for dark cars but I have used it on my white car with great results.  Super Resin Polish is good but needs a sealant such as Auto Glym  Extra Gloss Protection otherwise the shine won't last very long.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links