Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Android auto upgrade problems

Allan Cameron

Android auto upgrade problems. Head unit fails will not load. 

Who's doing the update?

In which case it is up to the dealer to sort.

16 hours ago, Allan Cameron said:

Are you asking for help, making a statement, inviting us to continue the story etc.? It's a 2019 car under warranty and a franchise dealer doing the upgrade, they'll figure it out - it's what they get paid to do.

I'll expand. My car was in for second service and upgrade to android auto on the 16/7/21. I got a call from the service manager, late afternoon to tell me there had been a problem with the upload and the system keeps crashing, he said he'd return the car and pick it up again on Monday. Come Monday, no pick up, no phone call. I tried to call him twice that day and he ghosted me. So today I tried to book the car in for a repair, first time got cut off while on hold to the booking team second time booking team failed to respond to my call. Nobody wants to know. What to do next? When the whole branch are blocking my calls, I guess I will have to turn up personally without a booking for the car. Thoughts please. 

On 7/16/2021 at 7:28 PM, Allan Cameron said:

Find out who the dealer principal is, contact them by e-mail, and explain the issue politely.

Failing that get in touch with Toyota GB customer relations and say the dealer isn't responding to you.

That is shocking customer treatment.They don’t deserve to have a Toyota dealership with an attitude like that.

good luck with it

Terry

I remember reading the tech bulleting and speaking to the service manager at my Toyota dealer, that a very small number of headunits fail to install the update and cannot be recovered. If it happens and the upgrade was performed by the dealer (who followed the Toyota process), then it becomes a warranty issue and headunit gets replaced. Understand it is very frustrating, but try to be polite and visit the dealer in person and talk to them. No reason to get on the dealer's 'naughty list' over the slight delay. The person who was dealing with the issue might be off and others are simply not aware of it.

• Like 1

Rav4ster is correct, these are strange times with the dreaded Covid plague and responses can vary, sometimes awful. I am sure the problem will be resolved rather than ignored.

As an example, a neighbour took his 21 plate Kia in on the 24th June for a leak which he thought would be sorted while he was there. Diagnosis was that brake master cylinder needed replacing under warranty - part was obtained within 48 hours but dealer has no-one to fit the part as so many mechanics off with Covid. Dealer now expects to return his car on the 29th July. Yes, that reads correctly 24th June to 29th July !

Latest news. Late Tuesday got a call from the service manager. Tech dept searching for a resolution, I guess he means Toyota head office, at least he apologised for the silence. Thursday the service manager called to say that Tech dept had given up with a fix and advised replacing the head unit, which is where I am now. Still waiting. 

Have little faith in Toyota GB tech. support. 

My car was warning over the speed limit as if it was km's instead of miles. Local dealer couldn't reproduce the fault - really? It happened every time! I had to take a photo of the instrument panel to prove it to them.

Toyota GB couldn't help and advised the dealer to perform a 'Hard Reset'. 

Sorted with the help of the forum (thanks guys) - change settings from imperial to metric (mpg settings) and back again - sorted. Advised the dealer for their future knowledge.

But Toyota GB didn't know this? I despair.

I don’t think that Toyota are any worse at the user technology or settings than any of the other car makes.  My experience is that there is almost little hope of getting Head Unit, navigation electronics etc., sorted by the dealer.  I’ve dealt with the dealer “experts” and have found that I generally know more about the products than they do, they even fail to comprehend the the specs and features of the products they are selling.  Forums such as this are a life saver.