Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

URGENT - Cat taken last night

Kojac

1 hour ago, Kojac said:

Tony,

About many having it fitted incorrectly - this would be good fodder to demonstrate that my choice to go with main dealer is sound.

Would you please provide some links so I can read and learn about this concern?

Sorry not many , but few, my gf and another member that I am aware of from the forum. There are some previous posts about the issues, you can have a look in Auris section. 

I got it fitted by the insurance company's garage.  Their garage fitted a non genuine part as they couldn't get hold of the genuine cat. When I got the car back, the exhaust was really loud.  Initially Jemca Toyota Edgware diagnosed the noise as due to non genuine part. Insurance garage took it back to Jemca Edgware and they changed their diagnosis to corrosion in baffles of the rear silencer.  Jemca Edgware couldn't explain why they misdiagnosed in the first place. 

Now I am not sure whether it's the non genuine cat or the corrosion in the rear silencer.  I have ordered a new rear silencer from Jemca Edgware in April 21 and I am still waiting as it's on back order. 

I contacted various Toyota dealerships in March 21 and noted that they didn't have cat converters in stock.  I am not sure if this has been resolved.  

Shortage of new cats from Toyota has been due to unplanned demand. Toyota would have planned production runs on the expectation the cat would have lasted x years. Obviously when some scum chops off the cat this couldn’t be planned for. And the demand is getting worse, and probably will do until the police and authorities get on top of the scrappers that the thieves use to pass on the cats too, they are supposed to have a register of stuff coming in. One would think if cats kept coming in from the same people they would spark something in the mind of scrappers, who would contact police. And authorities should be checking on scrappers they are keeping records. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

A) Chose - Toyota Main Dealer Repair.

B) Insurance renewal went up £150ish (9 yrs NCB - protected).

C) Tilt sensors being fitted.

Research outcomes:

i) Armour plate (Catloc or some variant therein) only works up to a point. It simply add an extra impediment to the removal. It can still be overcome - with a little extra effort & a little more time.

Multiple forum members with a (Main Dealer fitted) Catloc - still had their cats stolen.

This is more common than I'd hoped. As wiser members of the forum have repeatedly said - the plate is an enhanced deterrent/impediment - not a fool proof solution.

I am now in two minds about a 'wire cage' solution as my secondary deterrent - in addition to an armoured plate - plus the mainfold bolt security caps (TGBNGA - BOLT C).

If you are searching the forum for advice on what to do - I'd actually  start with paying to protect any NCB you may have with your insurance.

Then - get tilt sensors. 

Next - Get a physical deterrent under the car.  There are plenty of aftermarket solutions - and there are multiple ways to secure the plates with security bolts (search the forum).

Toyota main dealer should do deals on the (official Toyota supplied) Catloc + tilt alarms (if fitted at the same time). But it costs.

Then - window stickers.

This is where I'm at now. I'm stuck figuring out if the 'Wire Cage' approach will cause significant issues and/or long term problems, that aren't apparent to me immediately.

This post is open to any constructive criticism or additional info that will help fellow members going through this nightmare too.

K

The truth is that whatever you had done if you are unlucky to have thieves stopped by and they have plenty of time they will take it, if they can’t and have a bad day they may kick and smash the bodywork and windows. As addition to all protection above removing the badges may be the best  and first thing to do, just spotted an Auris hybrid hatchback ph car without any hybrid Badge or model name, I recognised it only by the sound when he was slowing down next to me, well covered., although they steal from non hybrid Toyotas too, but still some thieves may be looking exclusively for hybrids. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have problems with reduced height clearance e.g.on unpaved road I.e with grass and stones in middle due to cage fitted?

Am concerned may  have damaged cage.

The facts that hybrid has higher concentrations of Rhodium (£60 000 per kg), Platinum, and Paladium could be the reasons it is targeted.  It is mainly problems in  UK and USA where recycling business are not that regulated.  There is no much problems in Germany or Switzerland where  scrappers need a lot of paper work. Aftermarket catalytic converter never works for a long period, they are cheaper because only fraction of catalyst in it. Catlock is very important these days. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links