Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rear Brake job t27, rewind tool question

TOYOpeter

Hi guys. Did anyone use this tool for their brake job on the Avensis t27? I don't have any other tool and was wondering if this will work

VS039.jpg

2 hours ago, TOYOpeter said:

Hi guys. Did anyone use this tool for their brake job on the Avensis t27? I don't have any other tool and was wondering if this will work

VS039.jpg

tbh think you are waisting your time with that tool as the rear brakes need to be wound back in different directions . i bought this tool and well tbh its the best .buy it one time dose all your cars and well everything in it u need 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203099982597?hash=item2f49b3cb05:g:G70AAOSwTspfVftR

1325540985_braketool.thumb.jpg.9d848aa4c2d0326f6a20cb02d59a7395.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2009joe said:

tbh think you are waisting your time with that tool as the rear brakes need to be wound back in different directions . i bought this tool and well tbh its the best .buy it one time dose all your cars and well everything in it u need 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203099982597?hash=item2f49b3cb05:g:G70AAOSwTspfVftR

1325540985_braketool.thumb.jpg.9d848aa4c2d0326f6a20cb02d59a7395.jpg

I have seen this kit in another thread about doing the rear brakes. However I do not want to buy this kit, because of the limited space.

I would like to know if doing the brake job is doable with the cube tool. I think it will, but asking here just in case.

Take the advice offered, that little cube is not up to doing the job properly ,I have used the rewind kit shown and it's well up to doing the job properly.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TOYOpeter said:

I have seen this kit in another thread about doing the rear brakes. However I do not want to buy this kit, because of the limited space.

I would like to know if doing the brake job is doable with the cube tool. I think it will, but asking here just in case.

In my T27 that cube would have been just perfect. Ofcourse it depends how those pins fit to piston's holes and ofcourse how jammed pistons are but in my case those pistons wasn't jammed at all.

I rewind  mine T27 pistons with tool like 2009joe posted.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TOYOpeter said:

tbh by look of that cube thing looks like would be alot of extra work that tool is handy the kit but suppose its up to you .me i wouldnt bother trying breaks without that kit there it makes life really handy for the price its not really that big tbh either 

• Like 1

I am with 2009joe regarding using the proper rewind kit. I have the same kit and it gives constant pressure against the piston. Also one of the calipers are reverse thread. It's just easier with the kit and I got mine from eBay about 6 years ago, usinged it on different cars, so already paid for itself. 

If you try the cube, it's cheap so not an expensive fail. 

While on the subject of rewinding the pistons, make sure the piston cutouts/holes used for rewinding, end horizontal to the caliper. This aids installation so the nipple on the back of the inner brake pad, sits with the cutout/hole. Otherwise there will be problems!

• Like 3

It´s probably possible to do the job with that cube too, but it will be more laborius.  

I`ve once done the rewinding even with the tip of the pliers... I took the disc off and fastened the caliber back so it did not rotate while rewinding.

Nowadays I  have the same kit as 2009joe and I highly recommend to use it.

• Like 2

If anyone ever wonder if this cube will work - I managed to replace my brake lads and disks at the rear with this tool. It works fine.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if anybody used one of the most popular universal tools "Hilka Brake Caliper Rewind Tool" for Avensis T27? This one is from Toolstation but same tool is available from Screwfix, Euro Car Carts, Amazon, eBay, etc. Also will the same tool fit front and rear brake caliper?

caliper_rew_tool.thumb.jpg.88fe8a9cd0b2f6a27c6b834f9a779113.jpg

It maybe fits but You need to rewind rear brakes pistons clockwise at right and counter-clockwise at left side. That tool works probably only at one direction only.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FSX said:

Just wondering if anybody used one of the most popular universal tools "Hilka Brake Caliper Rewind Tool" for Avensis T27? This one is from Toolstation but same tool is available from Screwfix, Euro Car Carts, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Also will the same tool fit front and rear brake caliper?

caliper_rew_tool.thumb.jpg.88fe8a9cd0b2f6a27c6b834f9a779113.jpg

That tool is not suitable for the T27, because of the reverse thread. I have the kit in the red case similar to the one shown in 2009joe's post above. I also have the tool you show, but is limited. A lot of cars I have changed the rear discs, have reverse threads, not just Toyota. 

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 9:51 AM, avetoy said:

It´s probably possible to do the job with that cube too, but it will be more laborius.  

I`ve once done the rewinding even with the tip of the pliers... I took the disc off and fastened the caliber back so it did not rotate while rewinding.

Nowadays I  have the same kit as 2009joe and I highly recommend to use it.

Ha, reminds me of when I used to use the open side of a spanner, like 24 or something. It wasn't that bad actually if the piston was free.

On 10/17/2021 at 6:25 PM, JiiN said:

It maybe fits but You need to rewind rear brakes pistons clockwise at right and counter-clockwise at left side. That tool works probably only at one direction only.

I actually need to do the front once at the moment, are they the same as rear (clockwise at right and counter-clockwise at left side)?

If you have EPB you need to release the brakes with a scan tool, you can wind them back but if you force them you risk damaging the EPB actuator and/or cables

21 minutes ago, flash22 said:

If you have EPB you need to release the brakes with a scan tool, you can wind them back but if you force them you risk damaging the EPB actuator and/or cables

u dont need a scan tool i didnt use one for mine i just turned car on to lights on and pulled off the handbreak button and held it for a few seconds until the epb turned off and put it into service mode i did breaks after and well when u do the break discs and pads drive the car back and forward and make sure working well then when you stop pushing the breaks to hold the car at a stop then hold on the handbreak switch on for a few seconds again to switch on the epb again .i did that and worked great 

1 hour ago, FSX said:

I actually need to do the front once at the moment, are they the same as rear (clockwise at right and counter-clockwise at left side)?

I doesn't need to rewind same as rear brakes. Only needs to push in.