Do Not Sell My Personal Information

(Newbie) engine sound on electric

Weemdx

Hi I was looking to see if anyone knows if you can get like a sound box or something like that for my hybrid because I find it very quiet 

Moved to the Yaris club.

Would have thought the current Yaris would already have Accoustic Vehicle Alert System (sound generator) fitted - operates on EV mode up to 12 mph. Intended to warn pedestrians and other road users of an approaching hybrid/EV - though not intended to be heard from inside the vehicle.

@FROSTYBALLS the car sounds like a hover board on ev mode even when I’m reversing there is no sound from it ok still hover bored but not very safe when reversing out drive!!! I just thought you could get something to make an engine noise so people know I’m coming 

@Cykeri have jlb Speakers in my Yaris and I’m happy with sound they give out not that car is to quiet to be on the road 

Just be cautious and use your horn to warn people around you. I had been doing that for many years.

Regards 👍

Ahh right; Don't worry - You can't hear it in the car so much but that UFO noise is actually quite loud outside the car!

And that three-pot is also very rumbly when it spins up - I actually think this car at low speed is noisier than my old petrol yaris was! :laugh:

The following topic describes why we have AVAS, and it is now mandatory on all new electric and hybrid vehicles: 

As I said earlier, it isn't necessary to be heard inside the vehicle.

Hi the engine has 3 cylinders 

Aw right yeah I know it had a 3 cylinder engine didn’t know they were  called  pots though🤷🏻‍♀️

Yeah pot is car slang for engine cylinder; Sorry, don't know where I picked that term up from but it's ingrained now! I blame this forum! :tongue:

Cyl-in-der is three syllables, pot is one.

Saves time and effort 🙂

8 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah pot is car slang for engine cylinder; Sorry, don't know where I picked that term up from but it's ingrained now! I blame this forum! :tongue:

Were you a motorcyclist by any chance?  That’s where I picked the term up from.