Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Locked out of my Aygo

LanceBelgium

My sincere apologies for responding to this thread several years later.

I'm an old timer with a little dinky Aygo from 2010, something strange happened..

I only have 1 key which i left in the boot as i was installing a new water pump on the car, I'm not sure how it happened but i heard the locks activate as i was underneath the car and realized quickly that i was locked out.

I was quoted 400€ to unlock my car, and i don't really want to smash my perfectly good window.

Would anyone here be so kind as to help me unlock my little car?

I don't think they were ever worth something, so i can assure you i'm not a car thief. ha ha

PS: If it helps, it's got central locking but i do not have the key with buttons on it.

Thank you kindly

-Lance

Split from 12 year old topic and re-titled.

You could probably get away with the old packing tape (or coat hanger) trick. Slide the tape between the window and frame and hook the button and pull it up.

• Like 3

Yeah, I think the Aygo is vulnerable to unlocking with a slimjim - Any competent auto locksmith or even garage should be able to do that for like a tenner - Takes like, maybe a minute. 400€ is a ripoff - If they needed to pick the lock then maybe on some cars with more sophisticated locks that could be justified, but on an Aygo that's just a massive ripoff.

Bill's way should work too, but have your proof of ownership ready in case the police see you :laugh:

• Like 2

In addition to the above, if you're a member of a breakdown/roadside assistance service (equivalent to the UK's The Automobile Association), they may be able to help.

• Like 3

Ooh good shout, hadn't even considered that!

+1 for the AA, way back when I was in short trousers and most cars had Aygo type top level door pins they got into my Dad's old Vauxhall Victor, and I thought I was being helpful making sure all the doors were locked!!!, so hopefully they can do the same today.

• Haha 2

The Austin/MG/Rover Metros were almost as insecure, where I used to work there were several owners of Metros and we could all get into each others cars using our own keys - just needed a bit of jiggling and you were in. I got into a colleagues car faster this way than they could get in using the hanger method!

• Haha 2

Thank you all very kindly for the reactions.

So i could just get a coat hanger, slip inbetween the window and seal and just pull up the lock from there?

Did not expect these to be so easy to open, but then again i only paid like 6000€ for it brand new.

I will try this, i wish to thank you all very kindly.

Please reply back to say how you got on.

10 minutes ago, LanceBelgium said:

Thank you all very kindly for the reactions.

So i could just get a coat hanger, slip inbetween the window and seal and just pull up the lock from there?

Did not expect these to be so easy to open, but then again i only paid like 6000€ for it brand new.

I will try this, i wish to thank you all very kindly.

Sounds a little old school to me. 

Hey Paul,

With all due respect.....Don't knock "Old School".....It's got me out of a lot of scrapes, over the years.  Our Dad's and Granddad's worked on cars or motorbikes with no money but a load of good old fashioned gumption.....Priceless!

Learn from your elders, rather than dismissing it and I'm sure that you will be educated.....Both in life and how to reply to a post.

That's it from me.

I'm sure I've seen the AA or greenflag etc. use the coat hanger method

1/2 a tennis ball used to work on the 1970's and early 80's Fords.

Used it a few times in my day.

I remember some years ago we had a Vauxhall Cavalier and we were down Ironbridge, Shropshire. I locked the doors from the outside with keys still in ignition. Knew what I had done straight away, but too late. We were parked where farmers used a a market on certain days. I went to the main road and in the slow moving traffic was a police car. I stopped him told him what I done and he turned onto the car park. He found a piece of plastic tape used to fasten around pallet loads, got a screwdriver out of his boot, levered the top of drivers door ajar, slipped in this tape now doubled up. Slid the tape down till it was around the protruding door butto, pulled it tight, pulled up, and unlocked the door. We were in.                  
Of course, you can’t do that these days, but I sure glad I found a copper who knew how to break into a car (a former life maybe).          
Locked the keys in 3 times during a two year period. Green glam got us in one time, and another time I got myself in using the tape method I had been taught. 😎

On 7/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, PetrolDave said:

The Austin/MG/Rover Metros were almost as insecure, where I used to work there were several owners of Metros and we could all get into each others cars using our own keys - just needed a bit of jiggling and you were in. I got into a colleagues car faster this way than they could get in using the hanger method!

Metros also failed the ncap crash test with a 0 score for safety

On 7/19/2021 at 12:09 AM, Agent Orange said:

Hey Paul,

With all due respect.....Don't knock "Old School".....It's got me out of a lot of scrapes, over the years.  Our Dad's and Granddad's worked on cars or motorbikes with no money but a load of good old fashioned gumption.....Priceless!

Learn from your elders, rather than dismissing it and I'm sure that you will be educated.....Both in life and how to reply to a post.

That's it from me.

Surely this method was defeated with modern car security. surely the OP would be better off paying window excess and breaking a side window. Now that’s old school. 
and I seriously doubt you are my elder. 

6 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

Surely this method was defeated with modern car security.

On any modern car except the Aygo/107/108/C1 I would agree but these cars get a bad NCAP rating for "theft from" for the very reason that they are so easy to break into - their "theft of" rating is much better because of the standard fit immobiliser.

1 minute ago, PetrolDave said:

On any modern car except the Aygo/107/108/C1 I would agree but these cars get a bad NCAP rating for "theft from" for the very reason that they are so easy to break into - their "theft of" rating is much better because of the standard fit immobiliser.

Thank you for that clarification 👍

Hello all,

I managed to get in the car, but i used an old metal saw blade. carved a little hook in it and used that to wiggle in there.

Took me quite a while but managed to pop the lock open!

Thank you all very kindly, worked like a charm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Well done.

• Like 1

Euro NCAP don't test car security - they operate a voluntary programme which assesses vehicle safety.

Thatcham Research, the insurance industry's research centre, test vehicle security under their New Vehicle Security Assessment programme. Thatcham are members of Euro NCAP and undertake crash testing and whiplash testing on behalf of Euro NCAP.

In the UK, there is also Sold Secure, owned by the Master Locksmith Association, who test and certify security devices.

4 hours ago, LanceBelgium said:

Hello all,

I managed to get in the car, but i used an old metal saw blade. carved a little hook in it and used that to wiggle in there.

Took me quite a while but managed to pop the lock open!

Thank you all very kindly, worked like a charm.

Good job sir! :thumbsup:

Just don't be tempted to show off your new found skill to your mates! :laugh:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Euro NCAP don't test car security - they operate a voluntary programme which assesses vehicle safety.

Thatcham Research, the insurance industry's research centre, test vehicle security under their New Vehicle Security Assessment programme. Thatcham are members of Euro NCAP and undertake crash testing and whiplash testing on behalf of Euro NCAP.

In the UK, there is also Sold Secure, owned by the Master Locksmith Association, who test and certify security devices.

My bad, I meant Thatcham not NCAP ☹️