Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Holiday MPG

Catlover

We just took a week holiday in Norfolk, Sat 10th to Sat 17th, based ourselves in Thetford but traveled about a bit.

I taken some shots of the dash readings in my Gen 4 Prius hybrid.                   

First one is total miles traveled 10th-17th July. Miles traveled 721.7  mpg 80.4.  We traveled M-Ways, A-roads, B-roads, town, city, village roads.

P1020053.thumb.JPG.0911a3b7a23ec1e79bd426c839b3c24e.JPG

I also found mpg since the car was new almost 5 years ago, i happy with 72 mpg over 35,049 miles P1020054.thumb.JPG.70640e2432c325fa8c50067509b8014e.JPG 

Also whilst away, best days mpg was when we went down to Ipswich. 81 mile return journey at 82.5 mpg P1020056.thumb.JPG.ae7f27bdadbb85e3310e6f6c08f0f572.JPG

I pleased with the figures, and I understand the newer Prius Gen4 hybrid has better Battery and maybe some other tweeks.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Catlover said:

We just took a week holiday in Norfolk, Sat 10th to Sat 17th, based ourselves in Thetford but traveled about a bit.

First one is total miles traveled 10th-17th July. Miles traveled 721.7  mpg 80.4.  We traveled M-Ways, A-roads, B-roads, town, city, village roads.

I also found mpg since the car was new almost 5 years ago, i happy with 72 mpg over 35,049 miles P1020054.thumb.JPG.70640e2432c325fa8c50067509b8014e.JPG 

Also whilst away, best days mpg was when we went down to Ipswich. 81 mile return journey at 82.5 mpg P1020056.thumb.JPG.ae7f27bdadbb85e3310e6f6c08f0f572.JPG

I pleased with the figures, and I understand the newer Prius Gen4 hybrid has better battery and maybe some other tweeks.

Excellent. You are doing my mileage and mpg. Well done 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those are exceptional figures indeed Joe.

If I had not been an observer of your Postings, I would have asked you what you had been drinking !🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

Excellent. You are doing my mileage and mpg. Well done 

Hi Paul, do you actually know the difference between the early Gen4 and your later ones?

• Like 1

You both are doing best mpg figures on the forum 👌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

Hi Paul, do you actually know the difference between the early Gen4 and your later ones?

Yes my gen 4 2016 was averaging about 5mpg less than my 2019. Certainly feels like the modes were tweaked but I can’t offer more evidence than real world driving 

48 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

You both are doing best mpg figures on the forum 👌

Thank you 

• Thanks 1

Hi Joe, my Prius has the larger wheels & I’m lucky if I get 65MPG. Just wished I’d opted for the 15inch wheels together with the very useful spare wheel that you get with the smaller wheels. If I do decide to replace my Prius, I’ll certainly buy the smaller 15inch wheels. Great mileage!

27 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Joe, my Prius has the larger wheels & I’m lucky if I get 65MPG. Just wished I’d opted for the 15inch wheels together with the very useful spare wheel that you get with the smaller wheels. If I do decide to replace my Prius, I’ll certainly buy the smaller 15inch wheels. Great mileage!

Tbh 15 gives you so much more mpg and a spare as a bonus 

• Like 1

Just noticed from my photos that the best day for mpg was Monday 12th when 123.7 miles gave 85.6 mpg. That day we went up A11 toward Norwich, went across to Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, and back through Diss to Thetford. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Just noticed from my photos that the best day for mpg was Monday 12th when 123.7 miles gave 85.6 mpg. That day we went up A11 toward Norwich, went across to Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, and back through Diss to Thetford. 

Nice

48 minutes ago, PaulDM said:

Tbh 15 gives you so much more mpg and a spare as a bonus 

Hi Paul, please don’t rub it in. I made a grave mistake buying a Prius that had larger wheels. Very poor advice from the garage I bought it from especially as most people that buy the Prius are looking for the savings from the extra MPG. I’m amazed that Toyota offer larger, less efficient wheels, petrol wise, on their Prius, which is their flagship hybrid. Tut tut!

3 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Hi Paul, please don’t rub it in. I made a grave mistake buying a Prius that had larger wheels. Very poor advice from the garage I bought it from especially as most people that buy the Prius are looking for the savings from the extra MPG. I’m amazed that Toyota offer larger, less efficient wheels, petrol wise, on their Prius, which is their flagship hybrid. Tut tut!

Not rubbing it in. Just a fact of life. Clearly states in the documentation that 17 wheels are worse fuel economy. 

23 minutes ago, BhxTrev said:

Yeah I've always questioned the thinking behind putting boy-racer wheels on what is supposed to be an economy vehicle :laugh:

You can just buy some 15" rims and fit them with the appropriately sized tyres; Bonus points if you can find the right Prius ones second hand!

You will need to declare it to your insurers tho', which will likely wipe out any cost savings if they decide to class it as an upgrade modification - In my case I fitted steel rims and most insurers don't have a category for that so can't charge you more :laugh: My current insurer's fineprint also states "modifications that increase the value of the car" but I argued that steel rims would actually lower the value of the car and shouldn't count, and this was agreed on. :yahoo:

You could also try the They're for Winter Tyres angle as most won't charge extra for that either.

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah I've always questioned the thinking behind putting boy-racer wheels on what is supposed to be an economy vehicle :laugh:

You can just buy some 15" rims and fit them with the appropriately sized tyres; Bonus points if you can find the right Prius ones second hand!

You will need to declare it to your insurers tho', which will likely wipe out any cost savings if they decide to class it as an upgrade modification - In my case I fitted steel rims and most insurers don't have a category for that so can't charge you more :laugh: My current insurer's fineprint also states "modifications that increase the value of the car" but I argued that steel rims would actually lower the value of the car and shouldn't count, and this was agreed on. :yahoo:

You could also try the They're for Winter Tyres angle as most won't charge extra for that either.

Thanks for your reply. However, it’s not just a case of just fitting the 15inch wheels to my Prius. The speedometer would also need to be adjusted for the new wheels. Besides that, I couldn’t easily fit the spare wheel in the boot. I’ve already gone through that scenario 5 years ago when I originally bought my car. Frosty was very informative during that time. The only way I’d get a Prius with 15 inch wheels, is if I decide to buy another new Prius.

20 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Thanks for your reply. However, it’s not just a case of just fitting the 15inch wheels to my Prius. The speedometer would also need to be adjusted for the new wheels. Besides that, I couldn’t easily fit the spare wheel in the boot. I’ve already gone through that scenario 5 years ago when I originally bought my car. Frosty was very informative during that time. The only way I’d get a Prius with 15 inch wheels, is if I decide to buy another new Prius.

Also you would have to notify dvla  so they can send you a new v5 with the reduced emissions amount on it so you can dodge things like ulez

22 hours ago, BhxTrev said:

Just to clarify, if you switch to 15's and put the right tyres on, the overall diameter of the wheel would be the same so the speedo wouldn't need adjusting.

That's why I went from 205/45r17 to 185/65r15s tyres - The bold number is the sidewall, so I went from a low-profile tyre on 17's to a high-profile tyre on 15's to keep the same overall size (24-and-a-bit inches diameter in this case)

But yeah, if you're not that bothered it really isn't worth the hassle, esp. with the insurance side of things!

1 hour ago, PaulDM said:

Also you would have to notify dvla  so they can send you a new v5 with the reduced emissions amount on it so you can dodge things like ulez

Sadly no; The DVLA literally don't care about such a small change unless you pay to have the car re-certified, and that isn't cheap and sounds like a lot of hassle. Doubt it is really worth it for such a small difference. If you were doing a full EV conversion, then maybe, but for a few grams of CO2 difference? No way. Anyway, if it was recertifed now, would they put it on the new tax system? If so, it'd go from £0 road tax to £155 even with its reduced emissions! :laugh:

12 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Just to clarify, if you switch to 15's and put the right tyres on, the overall diameter of the wheel would be the same so the speedo wouldn't need adjusting.

That's why I went from 205/45r17 to 185/65r15s tyres - The bold number is the sidewall, so I went from a low-profile tyre on 17's to a high-profile tyre on 15's to keep the same overall size (24-and-a-bit inches diameter in this case)

But yeah, if you're not that bothered it really isn't worth the hassle, esp. with the insurance side of things!

Sadly no; The DVLA literally don't care about such a small change unless you pay to have the car re-certified, and that isn't cheap and sounds like a lot of hassle. Doubt it is really worth it for such a small difference. If you were doing a full EV conversion, then maybe, but for a few grams of CO2 difference? No way. Anyway, if it was recertifed now, would they put it on the new tax system? If so, it'd go from £0 road tax to £155 even with its reduced emissions! :laugh:

FYI the 15’s are 195 / 65 not 185/65 

I was talking about what I did with my Yaris - I don't know what the sizes are for the other cars

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I was talking about what I did with my Yaris - I don't know what the sizes are for the other cars

Okay dokey

On 7/18/2021 at 3:33 PM, Catlover said:

I pleased with the figures, and I understand the newer Prius Gen4 hybrid has better battery and maybe some other tweeks.

Impressive MPG figures , particularly the long term average 👍 Have you checked the accuracy of the onboard computer? When I did a calculated average on our C-HR the computer was slightly under on the actual MPG, which is a first for me on any car I’ve owned. 

No I haven’t checked it Andy. I always worked on the assumption the dashboard figures are somewhat better then actual, maybe up to 5% and if that’s the case I still pleased.

I just done 45 miles around the countryside where I live. Bearing in mind the air temperature is about 27 degC today, probably 5degC more then last week, and the car has dome 91.2 mpg, the last part of the journey, a 22 mile stretch just topped 94 mpg. So air temperature makes a difference.  The hybrid gear, including engine, in the Prius is the same as the 1.8 Auris/Corolla/CHR,the difference with the Prius is it’s aerodynamic shape, it cuts through the air more cleanly then the other three. Prius has a coefficient of friction as low as some of the very expensive sports cars.

16 hours ago, Catlover said:

No I haven’t checked it Andy. I always worked on the assumption the dashboard figures are somewhat better then actual, maybe up to 5% and if that’s the case I still pleased.

I just done 45 miles around the countryside where I live. Bearing in mind the air temperature is about 27 degC today, probably 5degC more then last week, and the car has dome 91.2 mpg, the last part of the journey, a 22 mile stretch just topped 94 mpg. So air temperature makes a difference.  The hybrid gear, including engine, in the Prius is the same as the 1.8 Auris/Corolla/CHR,the difference with the Prius is it’s aerodynamic shape, it cuts through the air more cleanly then the other three. Prius has a coefficient of friction as low as some of the very expensive sports cars.

Impressive numbers , I can see how the Prius is way more aerodynamic than our C-HR 👍 Interesting point about wheel sizes affecting MPG. A lot of the latest BEV are coming with 19/20 inch wheels as standard (BZ4X on 20s) I’m wondering if tyre technology has moved on with better economy gained  on  larger diameters these days 🤔

1 hour ago, AndyRC said:

Impressive numbers , I can see how the Prius is way more aerodynamic than our C-HR 👍 Interesting point about wheel sizes affecting MPG. A lot of the latest BEV are coming with 19/20 inch wheels as standard (BZ4X on 20s) I’m wondering if tyre technology has moved on with better economy gained  on  larger diameters these days 🤔

Well I set out deliberately to buy a Prius, in the red as shown on virtually all Prius adverts, with leather and 10 speaker JBL sound AND 15" wheels. I wanted 15" wheels cause the Auris Hybdrid we have used to be mine and I found the ride too harsh for me, too many potholes and grids. So tyre technology advancing for mpg would not interest me, its comfort I wanted. I did the 210 mile trip to Norfolk and still felt good when I got there, no getting out and stretching the back etc. Means a lot. To get everything i wanted was amazing. 3 years on and still love the car.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Well I set out deliberately to buy a Prius, in the red as shown on virtually all Prius adverts, with leather and 10 speaker JBL sound AND 15" wheels. I wanted 15" wheels cause the Auris Hybdrid we have used to be mine and I found the ride too harsh for me, too many potholes and grids. So tyre technology advancing for mpg would not interest me, its comfort I wanted. I did the 210 mile trip to Norfolk and still felt good when I got there, no getting out and stretching the back etc. Means a lot. To get everything i wanted was amazing. 3 years on and still love the car.

Larger wheels  tend to do nothing for the ride quality , one of the reasons we opted for the Excel on 18s over the GR Sport on 19s (but suspension is also slightly stiffer too) if we had the option of 17s we would have chosen that. We needed a car quickly otherwise we would have added the JBL 👍