Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Catalytic Converter Shield

propnut

Hi all

I bought one of these and fitted it this weekend. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of them and thoughts as to how to make them more robust. I am thinking rounding the heads on the bolts might help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284139255198

The 1.2 mm is a bit thin, easy to cut through. Some of had strips of hardened metal welded on to the plate. Make them visible and difficult to cut through. Initially you want to deter the thief from starting - go away and do someone else. Once they started is just a case of making it as difficult as possible. The thieves are tough and seem to have a lookout armed with an heavy wrench or similar.             
Some have fitted a tilt alarm, makes a noise, maybe they will scoot off, maybe they won’t because they so quick anyway.             
The solution is in the hands of the law makers and enforcement offices. There is already a law that scrap merchants and dismantles have to keep a record of material they take. Someone is handling these cut off cats prior to be tracked abroad. Is anyone checking records are kept and accurate.

• Like 1

Oh well, hopefully I will encounter ones looking for an easy life. 

Get some official-looking stickers saying you have a catlock too - Hopefully if they see them they won't even bother to stop and will go after the car that doesn't have them!

Not quite what you were asking, but, "TGBNGA - BOLT B" is the part number of the Toyota-supplied anti-tamper covers for the 2 manifold/exhaust bolts.  Dealers don't seem to know much about them and they rarely get a mention. But they do exist!  I have not looked underneath a Prius 2 very much, but if a thieving scumbag normally undoes the manifold bolts in the process of stealing the cat., then these might help you.  But they may be of more use on later, newer models, where the cat. isn't quite so exposed, and the cat. isn't so easily cut off at the manifold end of the pipe.

Basically, they are hammer-on shaped heads (cones?), that prevent a regular hex socket from fitting on to the manifold bolts.  They were launched about a year ago by Toyota.  Unfortunately they are not a visible deterrent.  I don't have them, but only because I made something broadly similar before these were on sale.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links