Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Save my spine!

Cyker

So, one thing I've noticed since driving the Mk4 is my lower back is aching a lot more; I don't know what it is about the seats vs the older Yarisesisueses but they seem to have even less lower back support than they did in the old models!

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a lower back/lumbar support thingy they've used and think would be suitable?

I went for a test drive many weeks ago and I was thinking the same but I just thought it was because I hadn’t adjusted the seat properly. It usually takes me a week to find the perfect driving position in a new car.

• Like 3

As it may only need a tiny bit I'd suggest getting a small, cheap inflatable thing (eBay), even just one of those U-shape travel neck supports. You can then try different 'thicknesses' to help judge what you are missing.

Even cheaper, given the prevalence of home delivery now ... cardboard. Different sizes and thicknesses/layers possible, though not quite as easy as an inflatable.

• Like 2

Do you need to experiment with the angle of the seat back?

Although a different problem, the only car we had an issue with was our 2012 i20, and we found that the head restraint seemed to be angled too far forwards on both front seats, making our necks uncomfortable Took us a couple of weeks to get the correct position of the seat back - we had the seat back too upright. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

So, one thing I've noticed since driving the Mk4 is my lower back is aching a lot more; I don't know what it is about the seats vs the older Yarisesisueses but they seem to have even less lower back support than they did in the old models.

Now you come to mention it, yes indeed the Mk4 seats do seem to have a bit less in lower back support. 

This hasn't bothered me so far (as I haven't been on any particularly longish drives), but I will start to keep greater track of it now.

I do find the seats very comfortable in side-to-side support when cornering however.

The answer for you might be to invest in some kind of booster cushion. Although trying such a thing before buying might be more difficult.

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions so far; I'll have a play with the seat position and see if that helps some. It's already a fair bit tilted back, but I'll see if maybe moving it forward and tilting it back more helps?

I think part of the difference is the Mk1 and Mk2 had a much higher seating position, and you were more up-right, whereas the Mk4 is more conventional - It's lower down, and you are sitting tilted back slightly as the seat base is at more of an angle compared to the flatter, more van-like seat angle of the Mk1 and Mk2.

• Like 1

If you have the adjustment move the seat up and slide it back this changes the position of the pelvis, make the back of the seat more upright as you are less likely to be hunched up putting pressure on the lower spine/lumber

• Like 1

Yeah it's as high as it can go because I really miss the old high seating position of the Mk1 and Mk2 - I've been experimenting with having the seat back at different angles, but still haven't found a good position that doesn't induce back ache!

Annoyingly the most comfortable position for my back is the least comfortable position for my arms and legs! :laugh:

I think I'll put it back to where my arms and legs are comfortable and just stick a cushion on the back of the seat and see how that goes... All the lumbar supports I've looked at so far are either more than I want to pay, look flimsy AF, or are apparently designed by sadists!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Do you need to experiment with the angle of the seat back?

Although a different problem, the only car we had an issue with was our 2012 i20, and we found that the head restraint seemed to be angled too far forwards on both front seats, making our necks uncomfortable Took us a couple of weeks to get the correct position of the seat back - we had the seat back too upright. 

Funny you should mention that. Every single time i've been given a lift in a Hyundai or Kia i've experienced neck pain almost straightaway and spen the whole journey trying various seating positions with no luck - put me off buying one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mikw said:

Every single time i've been given a lift in a Hyundai or Kia i've experienced neck pain almost straightaway and spent the whole journey trying various seating positions with no luck - put me off buying one.

We only had an issue with the 2012 model, and then only for a couple of weeks. We're now on our third i20 - no problems with either the 2015 or the 2020 models.

The only driver seat I have had a real problem with was Hyundai i30, think it was a 2013 model. After about 20 mile driving my right hip was giving immense pain. No matter what I’d did with seat position or bolster cushions, nothing would solve the problem. After 6 months I had to sell the car, lost a lot of money on that car.

Thanks for the suggestion flash!

I tried a small sausage seat cushion today but it stuck out far too much, but I found that just folding up the microfibre towel I keep in the car to dust off the various screens into a similar but much shallower footprint seems just right!

Might trade it for a real towel and try that too - It can do double duty this weekend when we're due to have another torrential downpour! And I can celebrate Hitchhiker's Guide day with it too! Wow, Ford Prefect was right - towels really are multipurpose! :laugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

As long as it isn't Vogon poetry day, i suppose it's better than the Azgoths of Kria poetry day

A bit of large pipe lagging aka a pool noodle may work too

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I drive my Yaris over 1200 km per week, and I use a back rest from <www.core products.com>, with a yellow polyurethane foam block under it (13x11x8cm), and a seat cushion from <www.purple.com>. The whole setup cost about $150 USD. Link to photo:

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0MGY83_VcrqsXKiTsD_x3J-xA

😀

Hope this helps! Works great for me. 

28E2AB44-F812-4147-A02B-B0608477B6D0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With all this lockdown stuff I haven't driven as much lately, so when we went on a day trip last weekend my back killed me after just two hours (before I could drive eight hours and still feel fine at the other end).

I generally find seats to not be supportive enough at the very base, so I have a hand-towel I roll and wedge in the gap and it just makes the difference!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a drive in a 2021 Yaris Dynamic today and the seats are so much better than Design I drove a few weeks ago. I found the (non adjustable) lumber support of the seat wasn’t pushing into my lower spine as much which was causing me a lot of discomfort. Has anyone noticed this? 

• Like 1

Yeah, that's my issue with the Excel's 'sports seats' too. But my folded up fluffy towel is doing a good job of mitigating that so far! I really want to nick the seats out of a Corolla - The ones I've seen have adjustable lumbar support! I wonder if they'd fit in the Yaris... don't care that they're completely the wrong colour! :laugh: 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Hi Folks i have a Yaris Cross 2022 and swaped from a CHR, i also suffer badly with my Back and found the seats really uncomfortable, much more so than my CHR.

The worst part for me seems to be the coxis, hip and neck area so any suggestion would be helpful, i was wondering if i could swap out the Drivers seat with a more comfortable option?

Best seat i ever sat in was my old Volvo V40 that i traded in for my CHR, at the moment i am useing an old Ikea Foot stool cusion and have half around the Bottom of the seat and half on the backrest, not the best but better than without, ive seen the other posts on various other solutions.

Thanks

1 hour ago, RDPP said:

Hi Folks i have a Yaris Cross 2022 and swaped from a CHR, i also suffer badly with my Back and found the seats really uncomfortable, much more so than my CHR.

The worst part for me seems to be the coxis, hip and neck area so any suggestion would be helpful, i was wondering if i could swap out the Drivers seat with a more comfortable option?

Best seat i ever sat in was my old Volvo V40 that i traded in for my CHR, at the moment i am useing an old Ikea Foot stool cusion and have half around the Bottom of the seat and half on the backrest, not the best but better than without, ive seen the other posts on various other solutions.

Thanks

If you try to change driving position entirely you may find your seating sweet spot. Lowering the seat base helps a lot. Some Toyota cars are infamous for uncomfortable seats, but this is due to the difference in seat settings and driver inability to set to his preferred option. Lower seat base and play with seat back rest reclining and head rest height might help you find your best seating. 👍

• Like 1

i would go to a trimmer and get the seat foam reshaped, it's a fairly simple job but time consuming

• Like 1

Have a play about with seat settings until you find a sweet spot.

• Like 1

Hi Folks thanks for the advice, ive been playing around with the seat a bit but i think having it retrimmed is a pretty good idea or get some bespoke seat covers because it seems to be the seat base where it joins the seat back is the root of the problem and the base of my spine, on another note does anyone find the car a little Noisy? I live in the country so lots of twists and turns and humps and bumps, not so bad BUT when i had it on the Motorway it was like driving in a Van on some sections, i note there is no Sound deadening in the boot or under the bonet so i may end up getting some self adhesive automotive soundproofing, i like the car but i think allot of corners were cut to make it lighter also my car in Ireland is called a Sol and is fitted with with a tyre below on 18 inch wheels Toyota set the pressure at 40 psi when i asked about that i was told that Toyota come from the factory that way and they do not adjust the pressures yet the Book reccomends 38 front and 28 rear so i may well change that and see if that effects the economy any, something else i have to mention is the Washer fluid filler, its so low you need a funnel to fill it less you spill washer fluid over the electrical connections as i did recently, no harm done thankfully, i wonder if anyone has anything they are niggled with ?

Anyway take care everyone and happy driving

530024.png

Edited by RDPP
spelling
  • Like 1

The floor, boot, doors and rear arches lack any sound deadening, my go to is Silent coat 2mm, and 4mm on the floor a bulk pack will do a whole car then some (40 sheets - £90)

https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/2542/s/silent-coat-40-sheet-bulk-pack-of-car-sound-proofing-deadening-vibration-2mm-mat/category/58/

just doing the doors improves the sound of the stereo, cuts road noise and the door don't sound like a tin can when shut

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RDPP said:

530024.png

Bear in mind that the noise measurements on tyre rating labels are taken externally - so don't relate well to noise within the car.

• Like 2