Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi guys, just out of curiosity, can you buy some kind of a portable temporary Aircon that plugs in to your cigarette lighter ?

Mike 2121

Just incase your Aircon failed in the scorching summer, until you get the cars Aircon fixed ?

The heat has been Unbearable for me, so if it broke, I just couldn't drive in the car at all.

Yes, I know I'm a wuss lol 😃😃

No, my Aircon hasn't broke, just incase it did lol

Hi Mike,

I haven't tried this but if I were in our position I'd look at evaporative coolers. Many are available that run from USB power and there may be some that will run from cig lighter:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=evaporative+cooler+portable&_sacat=0

In terms of true aircon, no. Aircon works by moving heat from one area to another, ie inside the car to outside the car, so it's not possible to make a totally self-contained aircon unit. Even the moveable units for use in buildings have to have a large flexible air hose leading to outside. 

Evaporative coolers can be OK-ish in buildings if you're sat directly in front of them, but I'd be surprised if any of the small ones were powerful enough to make any difference to the temperature of a car interior on a hot day. Better to open the windows and have the air blower on.

I would struggle to live without aircon now, driving in hot weather without it makes me ill. I once drove a friends Vauxhall Omega for a short distance which had suffered a complete interior electrical failure, aircon, blower, sunroof and windows, all totally dead and stuck closed. It was a boiling hot day and at every set of traffic lights I had to open the door and stick my head out to avoid fainting!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Duggerz said:

I'm not disputing that evaporative air coolers for cars exist, merely that their effectiveness is likely to be in 'chocolate fireguard' territory 😉

Having tried a couple of large mains powered ones in a well insulated building and found them not very much use, I can imagine just how effective a small USB powered one would be in a hot car..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

I can imagine just how effective a small USB powered one would be in a hot car..

It would as much good as a concrete parachute. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I'd shy away from using an evap cooler in a car - They just make the inside of the car more humid and all that moisture will soak into the seats and stuff, and then in winter you'll be wondering why your windows are misting up more than usual!

I suspect you could get a small portable house AC unit and power it off an inverter, but anything bigger no way as they pull a lot of power! I know eco people gush about how efficient heat pumps are, but they still draw a cartload of power and I'm not sure a lighter socket can supply that much... 

In my Mk2, which did have a broken AC system, my solution was wind down all the windows and drive faster :laugh:

Admittedly it wasn't a good solution (Or, in fact, a solution), which is what led me down the path that ended with me owning this awesome Mk4! :wub:

• Like 2

In my 22 year driving career I have only had 2 cars with fully working AC. A new 2007 Corolla in France for 2.5 years. My current Toyota Auris bought 18 months ago.

a 1989 Volvo 240 estate without AC was my daily driver for 10 years until sold in 2018. It was hot, as had full black leather interior! Used to have all windows down! You do get used to it, apart from back sweats. Current work car a 1996 Volvo 940 estate. Has AC and replaced various parts but only worked for 6 months 4 years ago. Will repair the leak at some point as fitted full grey leather seats as easy to clean and drivers not worn as had covered 205,000miles!

AC I do like as feel the heat. The Auris AC is lovely and cold. Had a new Condenser under warranty as last Summer heatwave it packed up! Fixed in September. 

James👍

All of those small units, even the ones around £50, work on the principle of cold water “mixing” with an air stream sounds great in theory, but in practice not that effective. 
So, you get in your really hot car, pour some cold, even chilled water in the the reservoir, and turn on the fan. How long is that chilled water going to stay chilled in that hot car? I suggest, not very long, then you back at square one. Then the only cool person will be the one who has £50 in his pocket for selling you a unit

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mike 2121 said:

Just incase your Aircon failed in the scorching summer, until you get the cars Aircon fixed ?

The heat has been Unbearable for me, so if it broke, I just couldn't drive in the car at all.

Yes, I know I'm a wuss lol 😃😃

No, my Aircon hasn't broke, just incase it did lol

Hi,

if your AC breaks down and it’s very hot outside better don’t drive the car for long, especially if it’s a hybrid. The traction Battery requires AC in summer days to maintain its working temperature since the Battery is air cooled and a fan sucks air from the cabin, working AC is very important. Any other devices that can introduce moisture into the cabin as mentioned above is also bad for the Battery, perhaps the biggest enemy, most Toyota hybrids that have their battery failed had been due to a moisture. Conclusion: AC on, or windows down, or nothing. 👍

• Like 4

Evaporative coolers work best under hot and dry environment like desert almost (also called desert coolers). They are useless in hot and high humid environment, like most of Europe. The only way you can come closer to air conditioner coolness is by loading frozen ice packs inside the cooler and that may last for 30 min or so.

• Like 2

I saw this on the t00bs and thought of this thread  :laugh:

• Like 1