Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Mk4 Ownership - Niggles or Normal?

Grompix

i found it earlier - the BKUP LP is used for the RCTA on the Gen4 as well as the rear camera, the fuse should be used on the LE ?, if someone would like to check..............................

@Grompix does your rear camera work ?

It's not for a trailer, as the gen 4 Yaris is not type approved for towing

8 minutes ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

I would love to mention the very good, good and even ‘adaquate’ dealers that I’ve experienced however like you suggested that would be a start of another topic 😁

Feel free to post them in this thread! 😉 

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/200383-good-dealers/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, flash22 said:

@Grompix does your rear camera work ?

It's not for a trailer, as the gen 4 Yaris is not type approved for towing

Thanks Flash, my reversing camera works fine.

The Mk 4 Yaris seems to be able to have a tow-bar attached these days (although there appears to be still some confusion over hybrids and towing in general).

Here is link to an article in the Toyota UK Magazine:-Toyota Hybrid towing: your questions answered - Toyota UK Magazine

My Yaris Excel VIN Plate appears to indicate a max towing capacity of 450kg:-

1615kg  = Gross Vehicle Weight (max mass of the vehicle including occupants, fuel and load).

2065kg  =  Gross Vehicle Train Weight (combined mass of vehicle and possible trailer).

Deduct gross vehicle weight from train weight = 450kg maximum towing capacity.

The attached pic is a recent text from the Toyota UK forum indicating a part number for a Yaris tow-bar.  

So maybe things have changed re- Yaris hybrids and towing. 

ToyotaUKTowbar.JPG

450 kg is not a lot, a small open trailer is in the region of 200 kg unladen

But is it actually plated for towing or just calculated

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

If it's not rated for towing the GVTW will be blank (or possibly 0).

"Train" means an articulated connection.

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

450 kg is not a lot, a small open trailer is in the region of 200 kg unladen

Not sure what 'plated' means Bob. Here is a pic of my VIN plate if that helps...

Vin PlateBlanked.jpg

My Yaris Hybrid User Guide (downloadable one) devotes 5 pages to towing - (but doesn't recommend the Yaris be used for such!). It does however, confirm the 450kg limit. 
The user-guide also recommends that the electrics for the tow-bar be fitted by a qualified Toyota tech - which is perhaps another pointer to the rogue 'BKUP LP' fuse being for a tow-bar - maybe!  

That's the one, it is type approved

towbar electrics

PW5D0-0D000

it shows the 4th fuse, middle row 30A is swapped for a 15A (marked TOWING)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

That's the one, it is type approved

towbar electrics

PW5D0-0D000

it shows the 4th fuse, middle row 30A is swapped for a 15A (marked TOWING)

Yep, you are right Bob. Just checked my fuse-box lid (rather the pic of it) and the middle 4th fuse is marked TOWING - and is 30A on mine.
Dunno why I didn't see that before - duhh!
So, unlike the Toyota Tacoma fuse layout example I posted earlier, the missing 'BKUP LP' fuse is definitely not for the tow-bar on a hybrid Yaris. 

YarisMk4_Fuse-Box Lid2.jpg

Of course, one way to find out if the missing 'BKUP LP' fuse is 'normal' for a UK Mk4 Hybrid Yaris is for owners to check the fuse position on their vehicles and report if they have one or not. I will certainly forgive them if they decline that honour though as it is a right pain in the butt to do! 🙄  

I can't imagine towing anything with the Mk4... from just taking 4 people to Goodwood it really didn't feel confidence inspiring going up and down the hilly bits, and I think we weren't far off the 1.6T maximum weight! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2021 at 3:18 PM, ISP said:

Regarding the lighter socket i plugged in my michelin tyre pump into this which the blew the fuse last year within a week of picking my new Excel up. Fuse cannot take the ampage. Fuse replaced now only use it for charging phones. My old Yaris 2008 4D4 i had no issues with this using the same pump. As said before all the electronics on the gen4 yaris are all new. Have replaced tyre charger for Skey portable tyre compressor which is brill very small to keep in boot in case of emergency.

Bit worried about your experience with blowing the 12v Lighter Socket fuse.
Just tried my 'Ring' Car Tyre inflator (bought from Amazon recently) - and all seems well - phew!
Thanks for the warning though... 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links