Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Mk4 Ownership - Niggles or Normal?

Grompix

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Thanks for being the guinea pig! :laugh: 

That's good to know; I guess it makes sense that these things are designed to be used on car interiors!

You are very welcome, but really the thanks should go to the lackadaisical bozos at Toyota Birmingham who ‘provided’ the ‘opportunity’ for me to test such products on my supposedly ‘well-cleaned’ freshly bought and delivered Yaris Excel! 😒
But I’ve increasingly found that is par for the course in main dealerships - perhaps a heading for another topic.
These products are indeed designed for such purposes, but there are so many that fall short, it is a bit of a pleasant surprise that at least some do what it says on the tin / bottle! 😏👍

• Like 1

The AG interior cleaner Shampoo works well (i have used it indoors too)

https://www.autoglym.com/products/interior-shampoo

I do like the Meg's quik detailer (exterior), but it is pricey, i come across the Meg's No.34 final inspection its £5-6 cheaper, comes in a larger bottle and does a better job imo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Grompix said:

You are very welcome, but really the thanks should go to the lackadaisical bozos at Toyota Birmingham who ‘provided’ the ‘opportunity’ for me to test such products on my supposedly ‘well-cleaned’ freshly bought and delivered Yaris Excel! 😒
But I’ve increasingly found that is par for the course in main dealerships - perhaps a heading for another topic.
These products are indeed designed for such purposes, but there are so many that fall short, it is a bit of a pleasant surprise that at least some do what it says on the tin / bottle! 😏👍

The one in Erdington? Yeah, I've had dealings with them. Not great so say the least.

• Like 1

Update on the ‘niggles’ with my 2020 Yaris Excel, ex-demonstrator, bought from Toyota Birmingham four weeks ago.
This one is bordering on ‘you couldn’t make it up’ so I hope you are sitting down folks.
I’ll try to keep it short.
Yesterday the tyre-pressure warning light came on and it turned out to be the front passenger-side tyre. Reading 1.9 bar as opposed to 2.1 for the other front tyre.
So, why should a nearly new car have a slow puncture?  Another niggle - but these things can happen I suppose.
Got the car home OK. Pressure didn’t seem to go down noticeably further.
It was raining of course - always is when you need to work on wheels or tyres!
Got the tyre inflator out of the car (a new one - unused - bought from Amazon two weeks ago).
Plugged it into the car lighter socket - nothing - zilch - no power!
Did the problem lie with the inflator or the socket? Don’t know.
Tried the inflator with my partner’s Golf (fortunately she always parks near to my car on the drive).
Inflator sprang into life - so the problem must be with my Yaris’s 12 volt lighter socket.        
Maybe a blown fuse? How can you blow the fuse in the 12 volt lighter socket?

I hadn’t used the socket since taking delivery of the car, so if the fuse was blown it must have been the last owner - the dealer.
Pulled the plastic panel away from underneath the front passenger foot-well to get at the fuse-box (having to kneel on a very wet driveway to do it - it’s raining remember!).
Consulted the fuse-box lid to find the 12 volt lighter socket fuse. Hung upside down with a torch to locate the fuse in the fuse-box…
…no fuse!!!
(see pics)
So, how come there was no fuse for the car lighter socket? There appears to be another empty space where a fuse should be but I don’t know what that is for. According to the diagram on the fuse-box lid it should be BKUP LP - 7.5A.
Eventually found a 15A fuse and the lighter socket works fine now.
Question is - is this another example of shoddy Toyota build quality?
Remember I started this post asking about rattling door panels and glove box, missing bolts in the doors, the lack of a car-jack, missing foot-well lights (connectors but no lights), fusebox lid left loose, and now missing 12-volt lighter socket fuse (and the BKUP LP fuse - whatever that is).
Or is it all the dealer’s fault - or a combination of both?
Whatever next?
I haven’t looked under the bonnet yet!
P.S. Anyone know what the BKUP LP fuse does?
And is it important?
Cheers
Chris 😉         

NoLighterFuse (Copy).jpg

ReplacementLighterFuse (Copy).jpg

YarisMk4_Fuse-Box Lid.jpg

Some donut fitted a dash cam and removed it before selling the car and didn't put the fuse back - this also explains why the lid was held with a cable tie

Many cars don't have all the fuses used its dependent on country/regional options

At a Guess...

BKUP - Backup

LP - is usually lighting (Lamp)

Do your reverse lights work ?

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, flash22 said:

At a Guess...

BKUP - Backup

I'd say you were right on the money there Bob!

• Like 1

Regarding the lighter socket i plugged in my michelin tyre pump into this which the blew the fuse last year within a week of picking my new Excel up. Fuse cannot take the ampage. Fuse replaced now only use it for charging phones. My old Yaris 2008 4D4 i had no issues with this using the same pump. As said before all the electronics on the gen4 yaris are all new. Have replaced tyre charger for Skey portable tyre compressor which is brill very small to keep in boot in case of emergency.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

Some donut fitted a dash cam and removed it before selling the car and didn't put the fuse back - this also explains why the lid was held with a cable tie.

Yep, I think you're right Bob, that certainly sounds like what's happened here. Birmingham Toyota - again!
That's a missing jack, stained car seats and door panels, loose fuse-box lid, missing 12v Lighter fuse (and possible BKUP LP fuse!), service book not filled in or stamped. Dread to think what I'm going to find next!

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

Many cars don't have all the fuses used its dependent on country/regional options
At a Guess...
BKUP - Backup

I'm assuming the Yaris has only one reversing light (see pics). Mine appears to have only one. If it should have more then that could be the missing fuse.
Anyone confirm?  

31-07-21_JustBrakesOn (Copy).jpg

31-07-21_Reverse LightsOn (Copy).jpg

You don't get a jack if you have the can of gunk !

i will have to look that fuse up in more detail

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Grompix said:

I'm assuming the Yaris has only one reversing light (see pics). Mine appears to have only one. If it should have more then that could be the missing fuse.
Anyone confirm?  

31-07-21_Reverse LightsOn (Copy).jpg

That's correct. One LED reversing light (oblong) to the left of the car's centre line...

PXL_20210731_223137005.thumb.jpg.cd4e1f5b2ec4a6ecf1b6460348c888b9.jpg

Launch Edition... and...

PXL_20210731_220945387.NIGHT_2.thumb.jpg.fab1d013295e20f3047278b05290f75f.jpg

Here's a clearer shot of the cluster (rev light off). What is that round object in the middle you ask? I believe that to be the radar sensor which may or may not be enabled as part of the rear collision avoidance system; depending on the spec of your car...

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CPN said:

That's correct. One LED reversing light (oblong) to the left of the car's centre line...

Launch Edition... and...

What is that round object in the middle you ask? I believe that to be the radar sensor which may or may not be enabled as part of the rear collision avoidance system; depending on the spec of your car...

Many thanks Colin, so fuse 'BKUP LT' is not the reversing light. That's very interesting about the radar sensor too.
I had vaguely wondered where that might be. 

10 hours ago, flash22 said:

You don't get a jack if you have the can of gunk !

i will have to look that fuse up in more detail

Thanks Bob, it would be interesting to find out what fuse 'BKUP LT' does. Of course, as you say, it might be for something that is country /region dependent and perhaps not apply to UK spec cars. If so, I would be even more curious as to what that might be!
Of course, I could just put a spare 7.5a fuse in there and see if anything happens! 😏

As to the no jack if you get (are inflicted with) the can of gunk option; Yep, I certainly know that now, but wasn't aware of that at the time of purchasing the car from Toyota Birmingham. (my previous gunk-can equipped Yaris Mk3 came with a jack - stored under the front passenger seat).

I specifically asked for the space-saver spare wheel as part of the purchase deal. So, I would have assumed (ha!) as part of their expertise in such things (ha!) and their dedication to customer care (ha!), that someone at Toyota Birmingham would have put two plus two together (ha!) and realised that, like most people, I wasn't Clark Kent and would have difficulty holding up the car with one hand whilst changing a wheel with the other! 🙄

But, thoughtfulness, and the needs of the customer appear to come wayyyy down the list in dealership priorities these days. Money, it appears, is their first and only motivation.  😠

Perhaps the start of another topic.        

But, thoughtfulness, and the needs of the customer appear to come wayyyy down the list in dealership priorities these days. Money, it appears, is their first and only motivation.  😠

Perhaps the start of another topic.        

I think you’ve been unfortunate. There’s some very good dealers around the UK that I’ve visited courtesy of Carwow.

Thanks Bob, it would be interesting to find out what fuse 'BKUP LT' does.

I thought i posted the answer

only thing that makes sense is It's for the parking sensor ecu (clearance sensors) not fitted to the LE

Looking at the parts diagram and pics for reference, the rear lens is for the Rear fog (Center) and Reverse light (left) - from what i can tell the RCTAb only uses the radar in the mirrors what is also part of the BSM - i can not see any rear sensors - the Jap spec cars Have 6 sensors in the front and rear (12 total ), Radar Cruise and the various sensors above the mirror (part of the safety sense)

I can just make out 2 of the rear sensors on the Excel

1916732328_gen4rear.thumb.jpg.7703e857e783af15841b724fec759a78.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, flash22 said:

from what i can tell the RCTAb only uses the radar in the mirrors what is also part of the BSM

The two cars I've had with blind spot and rear cross traffic alerts (Jeep (Fiat) and Hyundai) both used radar detectors in the sides of the rear bumper panels (plastic). There were only indicators in the mirrors.

Hard to see how a detector in the mirror could do RCTA as it would have worse 'vision' than the driver 🤔

That is what i was thinking only sensors referenced in the rear bumpers are "sonar clearance detectors" aka parking sensors

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grompix said:

Many thanks Colin, so fuse 'BKUP LT' is not the reversing light. That's very interesting about the radar sensor too.
I had vaguely wondered where that might be. 

I was wrong about that middle bit as it is the rear fog light LED... From the manual, it would seem that the radar sensor is buried behind the plastic bumper.

image.thumb.png.8dd648a2da8d372c9f8d62aa27ccd5ac.png

image.png.0716151c21cdaa9c897d3631fc302e93.png

More specifically here... (up in the middle of the rear light cluster area)

• Thanks 1

Found them, the BSM/RCTA are indeed in the rear Bumper, my mistake - they decided to bury them in the epc with the fuel level sender

image.thumb.png.f1060db3848b474458fbcc6c14cb11eb.png

• Thanks 2

Right! So one either side and one behind the Badge. Makes sense!

• Like 1

Nope, the middle is just the boot release button its just 2 quasi-millimeter wave radar

(1) Blind spot monitor function

• The blind spot monitor function is a function that assists the driver when changing lanes.

This function uses quasi-millimeter wave radar to detect vehicles that are traveling in adjacent lanes in the areas that are not visible using the outer rear view mirror assemblies (blind spots) and vehicles that are approaching rapidly from up to 60 m behind this vehicle in the areas that are not visible using the outer rear view mirror assemblies (blind spots).

The function advises the driver of the existence of a vehicle by illuminating the outer rear view mirror indicator on the outer rear view mirror assembly.

• If the turn signal switch is operated while the outer rear view mirror indicator on an outer rear view mirror assembly is illuminated, the indicator starts blinking to give additional warning to the driver.

(2) RCTA function

• The RCTA function is a function that informs the driver a vehicle is approaching from the left or the right at the rear of the vehicle. The function uses quasi-millimeter wave radar to detect the position and relative speed of other vehicles. When the function determines that a vehicle is approaching this vehicle, this function informs the driver using the outer rear view mirror indicators and blind spot monitor buzzer.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cjohnston1982 said:

I think you’ve been unfortunate. There’s some very good dealers around the UK that I’ve visited courtesy of Carwow.

You wouldn't happen to know of any very good, or even good, (or I'll even accept 'adaquate') dealers around my way by any chance? 😏
North East UK.   
😊

Thanks chaps, Very interesting. 
Always learning things on this forum.
I took a chance and did a google search on 'BKUP LP' as a car-fuse definition - not expecting anything useful to come of it...
but...
This came up (from a Toyota Tacoma fuse box - see pic).
Seems to indicate that the 'BKUP LP' fuse is for the lights on a trailer - and since I don't have a trailer tow-bar fitted, that would account for no fuse in place - do you think? 

TacomaFuseDiagram (Copy).jpg

1 hour ago, Grompix said:

You wouldn't happen to know of any very good, or even good, (or I'll even accept 'adaquate') dealers around my way by any chance? 😏
North East UK.   
😊

I would love to mention the very good, good and even ‘adaquate’ dealers that I’ve experienced however like you suggested that would be a start of another topic 😁

• Haha 1