Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

push in clutch to start car switch

2009joe

hi there i have a 2014 toyota  avensis 2.0d4d well i couldnt be bothered with that way  pushing in the clutch to start the car so i added a push on button switch beside the wheel so all i have to do is push the switch and well tbh this was only temp as well i just want to do away with that completely .will that circuit closed all the time be ok as im wondering will it be ok. my last car i like it the way just starting it with the turn of the key. its just to handy. did anyone else do away with this push clutch start thing by chance 

It is a safety feature, and by doing what you suggesting you are disabling a safety that the car manufacture fits as standard. I think you car insurance company will need to be advised what you doing. Premium may go up.

Do you not find it harder to start with the clutch engaged?

I know with my old Mk1 and my Fiesta, if I just started them without pushing in the clutch they would be more reluctant and require a few more cranks, whereas if I pushed the clutch in first they started almost immediately!

Logically, it should be more difficult to start the car with clutch engaged. The starter motor not only has to turn the engine (difficult enough) but also the gearbox internals, so there is extra drag, especially in cold weather. This will be more noticeable when the 12v. battery gets weaker. There will come the day when the starter motor does not have the energy to turn the engine-gearbox train and you just left going nowhere, not to work, or shopping, or cinema, holiday, just nowhere.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:30 PM, Cyker said:

Do you not find it harder to start with the clutch engaged?

I know with my old Mk1 and my Fiesta, if I just started them without pushing in the clutch they would be more reluctant and require a few more cranks, whereas if I pushed the clutch in first they started almost immediately!

tbh nope as well when i start it i start it when out of gear tbh .i dont notice any difference starting the car with clutch pushed in or left out .thats why thinking of doing away with it as its a pain as u have to push the clutch right in or it wont start.my other car a vw group car i started that and didnt have to push a clutch in .and well as catlover says its a safety feature well i dont think so tbh as well tbh its only maybe to make the car easier to start im not sure and tbh more i have this car more i think i wish i got another seat car .push clutch is a pain, the low rev low gear when regular driving torque is sluggish compared to my seat car and finally that annoying push button handbrake thats is another one kina hate. my wife cant get used to that when taking off from a hill.im in 2 minds of getting rid of it. other than that its a good car had 38k on clock when got it now got 42k 

Regardless of what you think, the clutch interlock switch is a safety feature that was introduced across numbers of manufacturers to prevent cars moving if inadvertently left in gear when started.

All of the new cars we've had since at least 2006 (8) have had this - cars from Mazda, Hyundai and Toyota.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Regardless of what you think, the clutch interlock switch is a safety feature that was introduced across numbers of manufacturers to prevent cars moving if inadvertently left in gear when started.

All of the new cars we've had since at least 2006 (8) have had this - cars from Mazda, Hyundai and Toyota.

cool cool dont think il have that problem quick question do u think closing that circuit perm will cause problems boss. just tbh my knee gives me bother thats the truth why i wanted rid of it 

I was going to reply to this thread, but had to carefully think what I put in the response. Without repeating other replies which I agree with, what about general driving, changing gears, stop/start driving for instance. Now if you are making stops and turn off the engine each time, I can see why you want to remove the system, given your knee problem. 
If you do make a change, make sure it is reversable if the car is sold on, or at least notify the next owner/user! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 2009joe said:

and finally that annoying push button handbrake thats is another one kina hate. my wife cant get used to that when taking off from a hill

Is your wife aware that you don't need to manually release the handbrake (using the button) when doing a hill start (or any start for that matter)? The system detects when the clutch is being released and the throttle being opened, and releases the handbrake automatically. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2009joe said:

just tbh my knee gives me bother thats the truth why i wanted rid of it 

Are you saying an automatic would be better for your circumstances? 

Plenty of nice hybrid cars to choose from if this would help you overcome your physical difficulties. 

• Like 1

The clutch switch is used for other systems, inc cruise control

if the clutch is an issue, get an auto

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

The clutch switch is used for other systems, inc cruise control

if the clutch is an issue, get an auto

I thought about saying about the auto, but I didn't want to be offensive. Mind you, my clutch pedal is very light compared to many other cars. But then I am not in my car everyday.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:59 PM, 2009joe said:

hi there i have a 2014 toyota  avensis 2.0d4d well i couldnt be bothered with that way  pushing in the clutch to start the car so i added a push on button switch beside the wheel so all i have to do is push the switch and well tbh this was only temp as well i just want to do away with that completely .will that circuit closed all the time be ok as im wondering will it be ok. my last car i like it the way just starting it with the turn of the key. its just to handy. did anyone else do away with this push clutch start thing by chance 

Clutch pedal has two switches, upper one is for cruise control and parking brake autorelease, lower one is for push clutch to start. I also don't like to push clutch every time to start the car and sometimes i am not doing it from the drivers seat. I used a paperclip to disable the system, just put it in the plug of switch to complete the circiut. And it is easy to remove if needed. 

• Like 1

In my manual cars, I would push the clutch in, put it in gear, start the car, then move off. I figured, since I WILL need to push the clutch in anyway to put it in gear, why not optimize and cut one push out!

If the clutch in yours is anything like the clutch in 1CD-FTV diesels then I can understand wanting to use the clutch as little as possible; The spring on that must have been massive judging by how much force it needed! I swear you'd walk in a natural circle after a few years of driving one of those in traffic :laugh:

I must admit I do miss having a manual tho' - The Mk4 hybrid is nice but like all automatics it has no finesse at low speeds, and the slight ***** and the GRK sound the brakes always make when I stop is really annoying after mastering silent smooth stops in a manual!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cessna said:

Is your wife aware that you don't need to manually release the handbrake (using the button) when doing a hill start (or any start for that matter)? The system detects when the clutch is being released and the throttle being opened, and releases the handbrake automatically. 

yep the car dose that rev the engine a bit in gear and handbrake goes off but problem is when on a hill u have to put on the handbrake button and do the whole thing again when moving forward. i see some vw . well my friends one he got hill start assistance on his car so the handbreak comes on when on a hill by its self 

10 hours ago, HS78 said:

Are you saying an automatic would be better for your circumstances? 

Plenty of nice hybrid cars to choose from if this would help you overcome your physical difficulties. 

not that bad yet lol

1 hour ago, ents said:

Clutch pedal has two switches, upper one is for cruise control and parking brake autorelease, lower one is for push clutch to start. I also don't like to push clutch every time to start the car and sometimes i am not doing it from the drivers seat. I used a paperclip to disable the system, just put it in the plug of switch to complete the circiut. And it is easy to remove if needed. 

thank you at least im not alone in this one :).  i have not cut into the wires just put to slide in pin connectors and run them to a switch beside the steering wheel but tbh im going to do away with that also as just like my last car turn on without pushing clutch r any buttons. only reason i did the wheel switch is that wanted to see by closing that circuit would it cause problems  but i guess not so happy days going to do it 

10 hours ago, Konrad C said:

I was going to reply to this thread, but had to carefully think what I put in the response. Without repeating other replies which I agree with, what about general driving, changing gears, stop/start driving for instance. Now if you are making stops and turn off the engine each time, I can see why you want to remove the system, given your knee problem. 
If you do make a change, make sure it is reversable if the car is sold on, or at least notify the next owner/user! 

yep for sure .tbh cant see me selling it its to good lol im only kidding myself .going to drive it into the ground.i upgraded the sound system in it by new quality Speakers and a class d amp. the sound is way better now than stock just cant believe toyota would cheap so much on crappy speakers 

9 hours ago, 2009joe said:

yep for sure .tbh cant see me selling it its to good lol im only kidding myself .going to drive it into the ground.i upgraded the sound system in it by new quality speakers and a class d amp. the sound is way better now than stock just cant believe toyota would cheap so much on crappy speakers 

There is a cost behind everything. You do a census of all Toyota owners on this forum as to what would they liked as standard in the car they bought and the list would be ginormous ie heated steering wheel, dipping door mirrors to see kerbs when parking, led bulbs in interior lights (that’s my choice), extra chrome bits, you with your sound, spare wheel (that never gets used - mine is 5 year old and never used), air con (especially today again)……. The list goes on and on, the price would go up and up. The purchase price would be so much sales would drop, Toyota out of business. I do think your dreams are going to be fulfilled.

On the other hand, Toyota, in their wisdom and no doubt after discussing with insurance companies, has put a safety device in their cars to help stop people turning there engines over when in gear, therefore stopping damage to the car in front, property, or people.  Insurance companies will have factor things like this when setting rates to customers.  However, some owners can’t see any advantage in it, so set to and bypass the system.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links