Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid coach even without no GPS?

Orestis

Hey there, I’m searching but can’t find an answer to this question… in trims with no Navi/GPS, how can the hybrid coach in the app show you your actual trip? Does it use your phone if it’s in the car? But then how does it know the cars current location?

I’ve connected the app to a shared car to try an answer the question and I see a few trips but not everything. So the hybrid coach either chooses to hide trips or it hasn’t collected all the info. 

I find it very very bad privacy that it’s so easy to connect the phone to the car and get an instant location. I would think that there should be a more stringent check, as I’m now literally spying on people and they have no way of knowing. After this small experiment I will write to the car sharing service to let them know. 

I wad hoping to get an official answer by Toyota but our local dealers in Greece are not that clued in to those intricacies. 

I believe all euro-spec Mk4 Yarisusesies have a GPS module in them - It is part of the system that the mandatory 112 SOS button is connected to - So maybe it is getting the data from that?

I really don't understand how the connected services it works tho' as there is no option to turn off such things in the car - It's all enabled remotely by the dealer, which means there must be an active SIM card connected to the internet running in the car all the time!

However, the manual contradicts this theory and says the SIM card only activates when the SOS button is used or a crash is detected, but if that was the case how can they remotely enable the connected services??

They all have GPS as part of the sos system (dcm) yes it has a sim/IMEI it uses data only to talk to the mothership - unless the sos, is dialled

now, I don't know what the costs will be at 3 or 5 years for the data plan

There isn't a data plan as such, systems like these utilise cell connection in the same way that smart meters do.

SIM cards are very much an end user 'commercial ' option, and companies buy network access with providers without a SIM ever entering the picture, as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 6:27 PM, Orestis said:

Hey there, I’m searching but can’t find an answer to this question… in trims with no Navi/GPS, how can the hybrid coach in the app show you your actual trip? Does it use your phone if it’s in the car? But then how does it know the cars current location?

I’ve connected the app to a shared car to try an answer the question and I see a few trips but not everything. So the hybrid coach either chooses to hide trips or it hasn’t collected all the info. 

I find it very very bad privacy that it’s so easy to connect the phone to the car and get an instant location. I would think that there should be a more stringent check, as I’m now literally spying on people and they have no way of knowing. After this small experiment I will write to the car sharing service to let them know. 

I wad hoping to get an official answer by Toyota but our local dealers in Greece are not that clued in to those intricacies. 

If you log in to the My Toyota account for the vehicle there is an option to turn off the data collection.

20 hours ago, RabButler said:

If you log in to the My Toyota account for the vehicle there is an option to turn off the data collection.

I would much prefer a kill switch in the car itself (as part of the menu). I understand the value for most people to have the location and trip history available but privacy wise it’s very exposing. And I remember a past thread were someone was exploiting this to spy on their partner…

• Like 1