Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E10 Petrol

Normski1

Evening. So I noticed my local Tesco is now carrying E10 for the standard grade petrol. Should I be worried? Lots of stuff about don't use too often for long term use but in reality will it really be that bad? The car is no spring chicken (2007 facelift, 2.0litre). I'm thinking of just adding in a tank of Super unleaded every month.

Thoughts?

According to data i have found, E10 is NOT allowed to use in 2.0 VVT-i (1AZ-FSE)

• Like 1

See the following info:

Toyota Europe information on which cars cannot use E10 is as follows:

Toyota; Avensis 2,0 L (1AZ-FSE) made between July 2000 and October 2008;  Avensis 2,4 L (2AZ-FSE) made between June 2003 and October 2008.

Best to use super unleaded which will remain at E5 and be compatible with your car.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any idea of what the consequences could be if I ran E10 in my 2.0 1AZ-FSE? Not every gas station here has 98 E5, so I might be forced to fill with 95 E10 if I'm almost about to be stranded somewhere 

2 hours ago, naikon said:

Does anyone have any idea of what the consequences could be if I ran E10 in my 2.0 1AZ-FSE? Not every gas station here has 98 E5, so I might be forced to fill with 95 E10 if I'm almost about to be stranded somewhere 

Hi, my close relative uses E10 in his 2006  Avensis 2.0 since 3 years ago and has no issues so far. I believe it’s something to do with the intake valves but not sure about it. He said that he fills up whatever is available and he is not even aware of that warning, when I explained to him. The car drives fine and he hasn’t noticed any noises or lack of power or higher oil consumption. Once in a while perhaps will cause no damage at all. 

On 7/22/2021 at 8:03 PM, Normski1 said:

So I noticed my local Tesco is now carrying E10 for the standard grade petrol.

E10 is supposed to be introduced from September. Garages have to re-label their pumps by September to show the fuel is 'up to E10' - which includes E5 currently on sale, and doesn't actually mean that E10 is on sale yet.

image.png.d34f1650b939f180e01922ab4119f55a.png

On 7/28/2021 at 1:10 PM, TonyHSD said:

Hi, my close relative uses E10 in his 2006  Avensis 2.0 since 3 years ago and has no issues so far. I believe it’s something to do with the intake valves but not sure about it. He said that he fills up whatever is available and he is not even aware of that warning, when I explained to him. The car drives fine and he hasn’t noticed any noises or lack of power or higher oil consumption. Once in a while perhaps will cause no damage at all. 

Thank you for the information. Then I supposed its fine if I'm forced to use E10 once in a while

• Like 1

Toyota have provided a list of compatible vehicles.

Got the same 'issue' since i have the T25 -08 model.

Is there any ways to come around this with change/map the engine or something?

Why exactly is the E10 bad compared to E5?

There's nothing to worry about, E5 will still be available alongside E10.

24 minutes ago, Toyotabrother said:

Why exactly is the E10 bad compared to E5?

The increased percentage of ethanol (up to 10% instead of up to 5%) can be corrosive to rubber/plastic parts with continued usage in incompatible engines. Re-mapping won't correct the issue. 

Super unleaded will continue to be E5. The price difference between unleaded varies from around 6p per litre upwards. For example by me Tesco Momentum (super unleaded) is 6p per litre more.

I've decided to go down the route of sticking with E10 and then every 5th fill up (approx once a month) stick some E5 (super unleaded) in. From what i've read it's more of an issue if the car is sat around for long periods without being used. If the car goes 'pop' next week will let you know 😉

E10 won't be on sale yet - although, as I said previously, garages have to display E10 notices on pumps before 1st September.

Cheers for the replies.

I live in Sweden, so we got E10 yesterday.

The price for 98 compared to 95 is 10% or more so that's why im asking.