Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tow Bar

tadgerpoppy

I have a 2006 Estima (new shape) and want a tow bar. Anyone know of wherabouts one?

Is it a hybrid ? Most Jap imports are not type approved for towing as it's not a requirement in Japan as such they do not have a data plate or data available to calculate from - most companies do not list them due to the CYA rule of business

Whilst they agree it's a sensible recommendation, there's no basis in law for limiting a (unplated) vehicle to towing it's own kerbweight

Without manufacturer info (I.E. the usual data plate) DoT / VOSA are not in a position to determine the towing weight limit of a vehicle.

However, an engineer with knowledge of the vehicle construction may be in a position to do so.

https://andrewsjapanesecars.com/japanese-import-towing-weights/

So, this is my 6th Toyota imported people carrier and I have had  a tow bar on every one and never  been stopped or questioned!  Really, some pedantic caution here.  A tow bar has been availab,e for every model, indeed, as the Estima is virtually identcal to the Previa ( apart from trim) Then a Previa bar will do.

• Thanks 1

A tow bar can be manufactured for the ACR50 certainly, but getting a stock one will depend on the style of rear bumper on the vehicle. Some are limited in space.

Caution needs to be re-stated only because, should the vehicle be involved in an accident - and we hope that it won't, the insurance company may well state the regulations, and not end up providing the cover you may need.

I have a new one sitting waiting to be installed after the pandemic crap blows over as I'm in lockdown for 7 days , 😡, new hols may need to be drilled but same as tarago you may call it something else here but will keep all posted when l get it done in a few weeks , mine will be a standard  tongue and 50mm ball showing , if you hit it bad luck for you lol

• 2 weeks later...

Watling Engineering in St Albans - they looked at our Estima hybrid and are fitting one they make in October 2021 (first available appointment)! 

PS Would like roof rails but haven't found anyone who can supply them yet!!

8 hours ago, Hopstop said:

Watling Engineering in St Albans - they looked at our Estima hybrid and are fitting one they make in October 2021 (first available appointment)! 

PS Would like roof rails but haven't found anyone who can supply them yet!!

Yes, Wattling can manufacture tow bars to fit a wide range of vehicles.

Thule produce a range and include a footplate to fit the Estima. The rest of the bar is generic.

I have written to Thule and am awaiting their response. Do you know a fitter familiar with the Thule product please?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 12:15 PM, Hopstop said:

I have written to Thule and am awaiting their response. Do you know a fitter familiar with the Thule product please?

Thule sell regular products. A special fitter isn’t required. You just need the specific vehicle clamps and generic bars and foot plates.

For Steve Babaro, Where did you hear or read that an Estima will take a Tarago tow bar?  Where did you buy it?  If you have got round to fitting, how did it go?

Really need help here folks, simply cannot find one! It needs to fit one of these

s-l500.jpg

18 minutes ago, tadgerpoppy said:

Where did you hear or read that an Estima will take a Tarago tow bar? 

The Estima is known as the Tarago in some markets.

• 1 year later...

Anyone with a newer shape Estima (2007 -2019) had a towbar fitted - if so, can you share which make/model and who/where fitted it.

My local Fitter told me his guide stopped at 2006 model year for (ACR30) Estimas (he also input ACR50 as well, so this would have covered various other-market model names but there were no results).

7 hours ago, Adey Oliver said:

My local Fitter told me his guide stopped at 2006 model year for (ACR30) Estimas

Which would have been the year when official imports of the Previa (name used for the Estima in Europe) into Europe ended.